Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

TGA F-15 Maiden

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

TGA F-15 Maiden

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 04:38 PM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TGA F-15 Maiden

I am very pleased to say that last week we were able to successfully maiden my TGA F-15. After a longer than needed take off roll, the 13 lb jet rotated smoothly and climbed out with authority. No trim changes were needed as the plane never so much as rocked its wings from perfect level flight. Fortunately all the good things I had heard about this plane proved to be true. It flew great! I had been advised that it wasn't a speed demon, and boy was that true. After about 30 seconds in the air, my flying buddy was laughing at me and teasing me for being such a sissy (spelled with a P) and not flying it much sooner.

It was very tough to see as the gray overcast day provided very effective camouflage. I was glad I had chosen the Luke AFB colors, as all that could be seen at times were the invasion stripes.

After about five minutes of airtime the engine quit due to a hole in one of the fuel lines, but the plane landed without damage at the end of the 3800-foot paved runway.

It was a fantastic feeling and it is safe to say that I will be pursuing a lot more of this in the future. I am thinking Wren SS conversion, hmmmm

I would like to thank all of the people here on RCU that helped me along the way with all of the great advice from building tips to wheel sizes, strut lengths, CG recommendations, etc!! Here’s to you all

Below is a picture from a cheap disposable camera of the F-15 dusting off for the first time. It was fantastic!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79925.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	516180  
Old 08-30-2006, 04:46 PM
AAbdu

Default RE: TGA F-15 Maiden

This plane is still costing me money as I went right out and bought a Nikon digital camera!

One more picture from the disposable. My favorite airplane pose!

Name:	Ec88744.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	516187  
Old 08-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal

Here was my maiden on my TGA F-15 awhile back with a P-60 for power.
It was very nose heavy and I almost lost it in the turn upwind after takeoff.

http://media.putfile.com/RC-F-15-Turbine-Maiden-Flight
Old 08-30-2006, 05:01 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

13 lbs!!! man that must have been a bullet. Mine was 17lbs and it was still pretty manouverable.

Congrats (you sissy!)

David
Old 08-31-2006, 06:36 AM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

AAbdu,

Congratulations on the maiden!!! At least I now know my old TGA F-15 is in the air. Glad to finally see the kit completed and flying good.

JR
Old 08-31-2006, 07:07 AM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

Like Dave said 13lbs nice. Mine came out at 16.5 and it flew great off the grass with a Byron set up.It is one of the planes I wish I had again.Good luck Frank
Old 09-01-2006, 11:50 AM
AAbdu

Thanks a lot guys!

I used every trick in the pattern builders handbook to keep the weight down. It was originally 12 lbs 6oz, but I had to add lead to the nose to get it to balance (ouch). I will be taking a little of it out though as it flew just a little nose heavy.

It sure looked great in the air though.

This whole jet thing can be addictive. I am already looking for my next project.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AAbdu,

Congratulations on the sucessful maidin flight of your TGA F-15, i am very happy for you bud, unfortunately i coulden't get much futher in jets this time, but sure will next time around, i have sold my TGA kit to another modler also....

Sammy
Old 09-02-2006, 09:09 AM
phantom driver
My Feedback: (32)

Great job It is funny how one is always so nervous before flying a jet for the first time.I know I was nervous[sm=confused_smile.gif] as could be. Now I am getting a turbine so here I go again.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Name:	Bz77847.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	517572