Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Newbie Savage Rough Starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:28 PM
magictrev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Savage Rough Starting

So I finally joined the world of rc and got a new savage x. The hobby store started it made some adjustments and we drove it around the parking lot for the first tank of gas. Came home and went thru another tank of gas and on the third tank could not get it started, took it back ot store and sure enough they started it after about 5 tries. I came home it started, and after the tank of gas I refilled and now cant start it again. Does it take a "magic" touch to start, or should they just fire perfect on the first time? Batteries are good, glow plug lights up, seems like the glow plug is a little wet if I take it out. I guess my question is, Are these trucks always finicky? Do they run smoother after so many tanks and starts? The glow plugs lights up is it possible its bad? Any tips for a newbie? Im using the glow plug igniter that uses the disposable battery - Is this really a cheap no good igniter?
Thanx
Trev
Old 09-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Top-cop-nj

Default RE: Newbie Savage Rough Starting

The more tanks of fuel you run through it the easier it will get, your still in the break in process and will be for a bit, just hang in there bud it will be well worth it. Here's a tip that will help it start better it's called primeing:

Step 1: Put your finger over the exaust tip.
Step 2: Place the rotostart into the crank hole.
Step 3: Push the button and keep an eye on the fuel line and as soon as you see no bubbles in the line stop and remove the rotostart from the crank hole.
Step 4: Put the glow plug ignitor on the plug, your finger back on the exaust tip and she should start right up.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:07 PM
magictrev

I put my finger over the pipe cranked it a few times and all i get is fuel spray on my finger. I put the igniter on and sometimes it turns but wont start and about 1 out of 10 it just wont turn the engine. The safety does not pop out on the rotostart, but the rotostart just wont turn, and as soon as i try agian it spins but wont start. Is it normal for every now and then the engine not to turn?
trev
Old 09-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Top-cop-nj

Sound like you flooded your engine, go to page 12 on your owners manual and follow the steps to get the fuel out of the engine.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:17 PM
magictrev

I took the plug out and rotospinned it, should it be good to go right away or does it take time for the fuel to evaporate and the plug to dry? More importantly I think your right, what am I doing wrong that I keep flooding it?
terv

Old 09-11-2006, 09:24 PM
magictrev

I have 4 double A batteries in the car, do these batteries have any impact on starting the car? I'm guessing they only affect signals from the remote?
Trevor
Old 09-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Top-cop-nj

You weren't primeing it correctly, follow the steps I listed above and you should be okay. Also just as your about to fire it up give it a little throttle to feed the engine alittle more fuel to get it going.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:29 PM
poe

make sure you are priming the engine first. To unflood it turn it upside down and crank it. Try to see aht the truck likes best . try to start it at full throttle in long 4 second bursts of the rotostart. Or try a bunch of different levels of throttle. In break in try not to baby the truck when starting. Keep your foot over the tire so you dont have to chase it. Try about a quarter or so of throttle and burst the rotostart. You get the point, experiment.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:26 AM
HeatFire

i ran in my engine this weekend.. there were like a .. special idle/heat limit.. under 50-60 degrees it wanted a lil lil higer idle.. then after it were okey at a lower idle..
i would give it a lil more gas..

i did it like this.. i dont really know how the stock controll works but...

1. primed
2. gave a lil lil more gas using subtrim on my spektrum DX3 controll..
3. started the baby..
4. lowered the subtrim when the truck warmed up some

edit: by the way.. sweden this sunday at sthlm.. were about 20 degrees Celsius = 68 degrees Fahrenheit...
Old 09-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Revo Eater

Once you learn how to tune it will fire right up every time. Just keep playing with it and READ THE MANUAL. It gets more rewarding after about a half a gallon.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:02 PM
tazfxrp

These little engines are like an old car with a carb.

As soon as the fuel hits the carb while priming take your finger off the exhaust.
Now "I" Line up the rotostart (love it!) put the charged glow igniter on plug hold the radio in my left hand and tickle the throttle with my trigger finger while cranking the rotostart. It starts right up.

Eric
Old 09-12-2006, 09:45 PM
BryanLs1

Just have patience and play with it like others have been saying. I had a lot of trouble getting my X to start for about the first 10 tanks or so. I found that if I raised the idle some and then tryed starting it again it would usually start (you will probably have to lower the idle back down once it heats up). After suffering through these first dozen or so tanks it became much more consistent. Now it turns over first crank with no issues at all.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:04 PM
redfox03

that's how i start my trucks. prime it till the fuel is right in the carb, then just tickle the throttle while using the rotostart or pullstart. works every time and fires right up. took a few times for me to figure this out. i used to flood my engine constantly on my mt2. but now i can start both of trucks with ease. oh yeah, and read that manual.