Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

Ignition cutoff for MVVS 116 with new ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:17 AM
saflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition cutoff for MVVS 116 with new ignition?

I'm getting a MVVS 116 with the new ignition and was wondering which ignition cutoff system would be perfect for it?

The one that I have used before and that a friend is also using on his older MVVS 116 is the 'Smart-Fly Ignition Cutoff'. But it is only rated between 4 and 8 V.

Thanks
Peter
Cerebus RC
www.cerebus.co.za
Old 09-12-2006, 05:31 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ignition cutoff for MVVS 116 with new ignition?

you need to get one that is compatible for 2S Lipo cells.
8V may be just short of your target, though most appliances can stand at least 10% more than stated on the label.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:41 AM
saflyer

Hi Pe

So to clarify I should be able to run the new ignition on a 2 cell Lipo, right? If that is ok then the smart-fly unit should work fine, since its rated to 8V.

Somehow I was under the impression that the new ignition requires a 3 cell Lipo. If not then I'm happy.

Oh, since I've got your attention. What would be a good size Lipo to use for the ignition.

Peter
Old 09-12-2006, 06:07 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

saflyer

Look on the underside of the ignition modual it should have an identification letter on it:
L for light 6-8.4 volts, S for Standard 6-8.4 volts, or P Professional 9-13 volts do for the L and S use 2 cell LiPo and for the P use a 3 cell, personally I use NiMh as they are more resilient than the LiPo's I have had problems with LiPo's in petrol powered planes from vibration, it has fatigued the flat aluminium connectors that come out of the cell on two different brands of LiPo, don't use them anymore.

Mike
Old 09-12-2006, 06:24 AM
saflyer

Hi Mike

I presume that the 116 is coming with the Professional version. Then my original problem still stands. Which ignition cutoff switch can handle this voltage?

Peter
Old 09-12-2006, 06:30 AM
BaldEagel

saflyer

I know its against everything that everbody preaches on these threads, but I don't use one I have my throttle set up so that on fail safe or full back trim the engine stops, I have an isolation switch on the model so that I can isolate the ignition circuit from the RX battery, the more Opto isolators and regulators and servo ballancers you put in the thing the more to go wrong, with the Hitec programmable servo's you don't need on board ballancers, using NiMh batteries you don't need regulators, and with a correctly set up throttle you do not need an optical ignition isolator, these things are brought out in response to a demand not because they are neccesary.

All IMHO

Mike
Old 09-12-2006, 06:36 AM
saflyer

I currently fly my MVVS 58 with the trim setup like you described. Its just so much simpler to just hit the switch a be sure that the engine is off the sec you hit it and not only when the fuel runs out in the carb. Its also a safty aspect. But if I can't find one then I'll do the usual trim down and pull back to stop the engine.

Peter
Old 09-12-2006, 06:42 AM
BaldEagel

Peter

Is your 58 the Pro with the new ignition? or the standard and does it come with the new ignition?
the reason I ask is that my Pro had to go back for a crankshaft change not ignition magnet related and this was before it had been started.

Mike
Old 09-12-2006, 06:50 AM
saflyer

Hi Mike

Na, my 58 is about 2 years old and has got the old ignition. It took a long time to run in, but now the power it truely awesome.

Peter
Old 09-12-2006, 07:01 AM
BaldEagel

Peter

So yours is one without the piston nicosil coating (I think that how its spelt) mind you that is old technology my 1974 Carrera RS has nicosil coated bores, or was it alusil still its a silicon coating on an aluminium sub surface, what increase in revs did you get from start to run in? the reason for asking is that my 45 mag brand new is only turning a 22x10 at 5000rpm max at the moment on 30:1 fuel I am wondering what increase in performance I can expect, not that I need any in a 13Lb plane.

Mike
Old 09-12-2006, 07:09 AM
saflyer

After about 5L of fuel with 30:1 and swinging a 24x10 Menz prop I get about 5800-6000 RPM. And that is with a home made pitts style muffler.

With every flight it gets better and better. I'm using Motul 600 oil and it works well.

Peter
Old 09-12-2006, 07:14 AM
BaldEagel

Peter

Thanks for that, I am now off to the field to get in some more flying on the Panic and my Extra 300 the petrol Edge is staying in the hanger today as I am waiting for a new NiMh battery as the new LIPo gave out at the week end again. I am sure we will speak again.

Mike
Old 09-12-2006, 08:31 AM
pe reivers

Saflyer,
PLS hold your horses until you get the engine and can check out the ignition type. I am not sure if the new 116cc engine has the "s" or the pro ignition. The latter needs 3 Lipo cells. In that case, I would suggest you use a quality manual ignition switch.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:51 AM
pe reivers

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Peter

So yours is one without the piston nicosil coating (I think that how its spelt) mind you that is old technology my 1974 Carrera RS has nicosil coated bores, or was it alusil still its a silicon coating on an aluminium sub surface, what increase in revs did you get from start to run in? the reason for asking is that my 45 mag brand new is only turning a 22x10 at 5000rpm max at the moment on 30:1 fuel I am wondering what increase in performance I can expect, not that I need any in a 13Lb plane.

Mike
Mike, if you <must> answer in a support forum, please stay on topic and refrain from remarks like the above which:
1) is not true (red)
2) is off topic (Italics)
I suggest the Moderator to start a parallel thread.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:44 AM
saflyer

Hi Pe

I will check the ignition once I get it. Thanks for your input.

Peter
Old 09-12-2006, 11:27 AM
BaldEagel

Pe

Point taken.

Mike