Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

the roto start

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 06:10 PM
SAVAGE XZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the roto start

i needed some help on my savage,the piston shaft was sacred and the truck would over heat fast so i put in the shop and got a SH.28 put in and about a week went by and then i wanted to start breakin it in.i have ran about 1 tank throgh and was filling it up one day and i yanked the pull started off the side of the truck [&o] and here i am. i went to the hobbie shop and got them to put in a roto start. it was runing great for about a week and it was broke in and it was fast and fun. Well my problem is now that the bearing in the roto start is out ( the the roto start just turns and the motar is sielent,it wont turn it over neither. so i need some tips or info i can get this done, and get my truck up and runin thanks/
Old 09-14-2006, 07:36 PM
JayC1968
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: the roto start

it's probably the one way bearing gone bad, or is just soaked with oil.
Here's a tip.....
take the air filter off the carb and shoot a quick burst of WD-40 directly in the carb, then give it some roto shots. This will usually give the one way some bite if it's not totally trashed.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:08 PM
megafan88

Be careful about what u think it is, my rotostart had the same problem, i replaced it with a pullstart, a new OWB, and the engine is now on its way to HPI for warranty work, as the cause of problem, which is exaqctly as you desribed, was the shaft pin inside the engine had broke. Open up your engines backplate at take a look.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:16 AM
amwhite2005

Is it a good idea to put WD-40 down the engine, or would it be a better idea to just coat the OWB and backplate in WD-40?
Old 09-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Revo Eater

I personally have never had a problem with the OWB on my savage. There are a few guys at my track that have slipping problems. They drilled a hole the size of a WD-40 straw in the roto back plate. When their bearings slip they simply shoot some WD in the hole and the trucks fire right up.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:45 PM
amwhite2005

I would have thought this would make it slip more, but hey. Does the hole not let dirt get into the rotostart backplate and ruin the gears?
Old 09-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Revo Eater

Like I said it's not on my truck. I will ask the guys at the race tommorow how long they have had that mod and if it caused any problems yet.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:53 PM
amwhite2005

thanks
Old 09-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Revo Eater

Well, one guy has about 3 gallons on his and the other guy has just done the mod recently. Neither of them have had any problems since.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:50 PM
leslie_p

Hi All,

Hey, thanks for the timely tips on the wd-40 on the OWB. I just had mine slipping today and replaced it. The OWB I removed had no visible problems, so I'll clean it up and try it again. It was pretty oily.

I thought the bearing might be slipping in the nut. This is a Trex (heli) bearing I pressed in the nut with a little loctite 680. I think now, I will investigate a little further.

thanks!

Cheers,
Leslie
Old 09-18-2006, 01:21 AM
amwhite2005

thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 02:46 AM
boydie1

Check the start shaft, and the OWB, as you might have stuffed the OWB & torn part the chrome of the start shaft
The SH.28 has exceptional compression & will hydrolock easy if your not careful with the rotostart. As the rotostart has more power than the pull start the start shaft & OWB suffer. Always loosen the glow plug slightly when starting with a rotostart on the SH.28 engines until you have run a few gallons through it.
This I found out from experience