Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

GP Extra 330L

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 08:54 PM
TSuppa
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Extra 330L

I am currently building the Great Planes 1/3 scale 330L. I am debating about engine choices. I am leaning toward the ZDZ80, old, or new. Although the twin that they show in the instruction manual looks interesting. Does anyone know anything about this engine? Is the old ZDZ80 plenty of power for this plane or do I need the new. I am a IMAC style flier, not 3D. Is the twin featured in the GP instructions a viable alternative?
Old 09-15-2006, 09:41 AM
3D Joy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Extra 330L

Don't go with Mac Minarelly engines if possible. They are good engines but a tad heavy for the plane...

On my GP330L I use the old ZDZ 80 RV with a canister. At 24.2 lbs, it pulls it around fine but its really not a rocket, especially after I tried a light CARF 2.6m Extra with BME 110.

I fly unlimited IMAC and 3D. Power is definitely lacking for IMAC. You realy don't know how much power is needed for unlimited until you try it for yourself. For 3D it really is fine for my taste. It just pulls out a bit slow but it's enough to get out of trouble.

Now if you plan for upper classes of IMAC, then get the new ZDZ. If not, the old is perfect for you and a bit lighter!