Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Newbie Savage SS Planning, Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Nitroxda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Savage SS Planning, Help?

First post here, been reading for awhile though[8D]

Okay, I have been a Traxxas guy all along, planning to get into Savage now.

I had my mind set on Savage X, maybe even the kit SS 46 X. I intend to order the truck plus all the upgrade I want at once so I can save some shipment cost, my LHS here don't have all the goodies and even if they do carry some, the price is ridiculous.
I bash only, none of my truck see track at all, so I don't mind rollcage, dual tanks and other heavy stuffs
Problem is, I have Zero knowledge about Savage[], please advise on my plan here:
I was going to get:
- Savage X or Savage 46 X kit?
- 3 speed gears
- Reverse module, possible with 3 speed?
- Steel spur, what size?
- Aluminium Skid, what brand?
- Fuel tank guard, is it useless?
- Wheelie bar, from HPI any good?
- Additional Heli header tank, to stop tank lean out issue.
- Diff, what upgrade is there?

Please correct if any items above is a mistake, and add some from your experience.

TIA everyone
Old 09-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Nitroxda

Default RE: Newbie Savage SS Planning, Help?

Oh, I miss out a few things.....
- Is OS 30VG (said to be direct drop-in) a good upgrade? Otherwise what other drop in engine should I go for?
- Glow plugs, need some for spares, what brand to use?
- I think X come with pull start, is it better with the rotor start?

Thanks again!
Old 09-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Sparco

3 speed is always a must and yes reverse is compatable with it, with the reverse you will need an aditionial servo. the stock plastic spur is fine. (49t) the diffs already have the 4 gear upgrade, and if you get the x ss you'll need a 3 chanel radio. the half tank lean issue shouldent be a problem. tank gaurd-useless you san get 2 more tanks for that price Good luck!
Old 09-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Nitroxda

ORIGINAL: got_nitro632

3 speed is always a must and yes reverse is compatable with it, with the reverse you will need an aditionial servo. the stock plastic spur is fine. (49t) the diffs already have the 4 gear upgrade, and if you get the x ss you'll need a 3 chanel radio. the half tank lean issue shouldent be a problem. tank gaurd-useless you san get 2 more tanks for that price Good luck!
Just what I need to hear, 3speed and reverse is good together, Diff has 4spiders already? If so, it'll hold up to power of almost any big block engine right?

What about engine, if I want to upgrade which is better? OS 30VG or Nitro Star 46 ? (I assume both will drop right in, correct?)
Old 09-17-2006, 10:57 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

First off, if you can afford to do a complete build right from the start, get the SS. the RTR will wind up looking the same way your SS will anyway.

the OS 30 will be an upgrade over the K4.6, but I'd go with one of the SH 28 based engines like the XTM .457.

UPGRADE YOUR CLUTCH SHOES RIGHT AWAY, throw those CRAPPY stock clutch shoes and springs in the garbage as soon as you open the box. Losi LST aluminum shoes work well, so do Mugen shoes...

Yes, the diff has 4 gears already. Spend your time to shim them, and you won't have any problems with the ring and pinion gears, and I also suggest you shim the internal diff gears, or just buy the Hot Bodies hardened diff gears-they come with shims and everything will be nice and tight when you put it back together. here they are: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLGV5&P=7

Also, don't be a putz, hammer on it like you mean it
Old 09-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Nitroxda

Thanks Thunder!

I'm getting an extra 3 grand and my birthday coming up next month. I'm going to set aside around 1000 bucks for the savage (hope it's enough), but that will be it.
I've over spent too much on useless hop-ups on my TMaxx and Revo since last year[>:] I intend to plan it right and buy once for good, then replace as it break[&:]

Will keep a note of your advice. I'm not familiar with big block engines as I run TRX 2.5s / 2.5Rs, OS 18TMs only.
Got a link to the Sh 28 or XTM you mentioned? Are they drop in without mods?
Old 09-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Nitroxda

Ok, I'm a little confused here.... been reading the forums and everybody has got different engines in their savage.

Does all the big blocks fit into savage right on?
Old 09-17-2006, 12:15 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Yep, they bolt right in.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Nitroxda

Another good news here

For me and the traxxas guys here, we're limited only to TRX, OS 18s, RB TM 323 and Picco Max 26s for direct drop in engines, so I thought Savage would be more or less the same Ok thanks Thunder.