Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage x with reverse.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:42 AM
Roy_e

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage x with reverse.....

Hi all,

does anyone on here have the savage x with reverse?? therefore needing to use the mixer...??

i will tell you why, i recently installed the reverse module with mixer, and i have a failsafe... well, my electronics have gone haywire... just fails to pick up reception from the tranny every now and then, so i took the failsafe out, now if just goes off on its own every so often... what can i do???

i did put my other humppack in when i did the change over, it hadnt been used in about 3 months... could it be the prob????

before now it has been running perfectly..

oh, i also put 2 MG995's in, so basically i have:

failsafe (microtronic or somethin)
mixer
"new" humpack
2 x mg995's servos
hitec servo..

could the mixer be causing problems for the failsafe? or Rx? or could it be the new hump pack??

what could it be??? its doing my head in..

thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 10:51 AM
amwhite2005

Default RE: savage x with reverse.....

Check that you battery has good power, if you have a multimeter use that.
Check that your TX has good battery.
It work without the failsafe right (?), so check that it isn't bust.
If all that fails try taking the mixer out and try again, with failsafe, hump pack and your servos.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:14 AM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HONESTLY this is EXACTLY WHY I DIDNT GET THE REVERSE WITH THE MIXER ur probably the 5 person with the same issue........i just bought the 3 channel radio the FAILSAFE AND MIXER ARENT VERY COMPATABLE
Old 09-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Roy_e

it worked originally though, thats the part that is really puzling me... think there is a possibility it could be the hump pack, wasnt used for too long so it is prob ruined, gonna stick the orriginal one in and see what happens....

can imagine the mixer and failsafe cause each other problems..

will play around and see.....
Old 09-18-2006, 12:40 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I do not have the X but I do have a DX3 Spectrum with a reverse and I love it because I am lazy! One of the things I think they did wrong with the X is going to a 2 channel radio. What failsafe are you using? Sure hope it is not a Duratrax!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:21 PM

why not duratrax
Old 09-18-2006, 09:24 PM

i have the duatrax failsafe ,it works great on its oun but hook up the mixer ,the brakes will be slammin on at any time.can i just buy a 3 channel and have it work with what ive got.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:27 PM
46u

Why not the Duatrax I had many problems with mine and I have talked to many others that all so had problems with them. There was a guy at the track a couple weeks ago with a new Duatrax failsafe and ended up having to take it out just to race. When I took mine out I put an Ofna in with out changing anything else and all the problems went away. Now my fail-safe is built into my receivers on my Spektrum. But if it works for you great.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:38 AM
Roy_e

im in the process of buying new radio equipment so i am just going to upgrade to a 3 channel system... the spektrum system..
gonna cost a bit but it is apparently worth it....

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPM2030F

there it is....
Old 09-19-2006, 03:42 PM
46u

Wait till next month as the NEW DX3.0 is coming out and it all so comes with 2 receivers.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPM20300
Old 09-19-2006, 08:56 PM
skeeter1255

im just thinking this not really sure but i dont think im gettin a mixer cus sometimes my tooning is of and i have to adjust he idle so i hold th brakes on for a while so it wont move so if i have the mixer then it would just engage to reverse for me that suck so i aint getin the mixer, now i dont have a savage YET!! but with my gt i have that problem so i think it kinda relates to the same thing.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:43 PM
46u

Learn to tune and it would not be a problem. If you are having to idle up so much to keep your engine running do to not being tuned properly and then hold the brakes to keep if from moving you are putting stress on thinks like clutch and so on. I recommend learning to tune.
Good Luck
Old 09-20-2006, 12:29 AM
Nitroxda

Newbie question : What exactly does the mixer do?
Does it make the tranny engage to reverse when you brake for more than 3seconds?
or
It will allow 3rd channel to shift the tranny into reverse after holding the brake for 3 seconds?

No, I don't have a savage yet, planning to get one. waiting for X SS to be available in my LHS.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:44 AM
Roy_e

the mixer basically acts as a 3rd channel, it engages the 3rd servo when held in brake possition for 3 seconds, thus engaging reverse...

i would recomend getting the savvy x ss and getting a 3 channel radio setup, thus eliminating the need for the mixer..

my Rx blew up a few days ago, it overheated, im guessing its from having to handle the extra from the 3rd servo, it baing a 2 channel was not built to handle 3 channels...

DONT DO THE MIXER SETUP....
Old 09-20-2006, 05:57 AM
Nitroxda

That's another valuable info found in the forum, thanks man!

See if I get it right ; the mixer can actually let you put a third servo into a 2-channel radio system, and the third servo will be activated when the brake is applied for more than 3 seconds, thus tranny engaging in reverse?

How does it get back to forward....!!???? Let me guess, by holding the brake for another 3 seconds? Kind of weird for me, I'd rather go with the third channel then.

Thanks again..!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:11 AM
Roy_e

ORIGINAL: Nitroxda

That's another valuable info found in the forum, thanks man!

See if I get it right ; the mixer can actually let you put a third servo into a 2-channel radio system, and the third servo will be activated when the brake is applied for more than 3 seconds, thus tranny engaging in reverse?

How does it get back to forward....!!???? Let me guess, by holding the brake for another 3 seconds? Kind of weird for me, I'd rather go with the third channel then.

Thanks again..!
you got it mate...
Old 09-20-2006, 07:57 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I noticed the reverse modules with mixer costs almost double of what a reverse module without a mixer costs. Why is that? The mixer electronics cannot cost that much to justify the cost increase.

I believe it would be money better spent if one were to buy just the reverse module and spend the difference on a cheap 3rd servo. Besides, I personally think it would be an eternity to hold the trigger at full brake for 3 sec just to activate the reverse module.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Roy_e

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

I noticed the reverse modules with mixer costs almost double of what a reverse module without a mixer costs. Why is that? The mixer electronics cannot cost that much to justify the cost increase.

I believe it would be money better spent if one were to buy just the reverse module and spend the difference on a cheap 3rd servo. Besides, I personally think it would be an eternity to hold the trigger at full brake for 3 sec just to activate the reverse module.
dude, the mixer is only required for those who have a 2 channel Rx, you need a 3rd servo regardless.....

it is a nice little piece of electronics but not worth it... A Rx is a 2 channel for a reason.. it is not built to handle the extra ....
Old 09-20-2006, 08:20 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Yeah, I found an auction showing the mixer with two output leads to each servo. I realized what you are saying when I saw the pics. In either case, the mixer seems to be an overpriced piece of electronic.

I always have had 3channel radios so I never ever needed a mixer module. I don't have an X-RTR, I upgraded my 4.6 SS kit into an X. From what I gather, the X-RTR only comes with a TF-3 radio (2 channel). I have Futaba 3PK's and a TF-4 3 channel radio. I scored the TF4 really cheap on auction: about $26 USD. Most auctions will sell TF-4's for about $30-$40 USD if you are considereing getting a 3 channel radio.

As far as servo mixing, my 3PKs have that capability without the need of a mixer. I'm still trying to learn how to use this feature.