Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Helfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 08:05 PM
CPR35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helfire

Is the helfire really worth forking up over $600? I've seen it in videos and it looks like it can really fly. I just wanted an opion from someone else thanks bye.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Chronic

Default RE: Helfire

The RTR Hellfire isn't worth investing in unless you get a really good deal, that's just MY opinion of course. Go for the kit version if you want a Hellfire to race. You'll still need an engine and electronics, but you would be sooo much better off.

If this is for bashing, don't buy a truggy.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:18 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Chronic

The RTR Hellfire isn't worth investing in unless you get a really good deal, that's just MY opinion of course. Go for the kit version if you want a Hellfire to race. You'll still need an engine and electronics, but you would be sooo much better off.

If this is for bashing, don't buy a truggy.
I totally agree 110%. Go to the Truggy thread for more information.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:20 PM
ELITE913

i agree however u will probably not have much luck in the truggy forum because no one hangs out there.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:49 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Then try truggy.com.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:46 AM
American Patriot

Why is a truggy no good for bashing?

I went to an RC track/race last month and was amazed at what abuse truggys and buggys can take. Half hour mains with more jumps and bumps then where I bash my savage. Heck, one kid kept winning races and was bumping up to the next main. he went over an hour straight tearing up the track with a buggy.

Then when the monster trucks came out it was like watching turtles walk around the track. That was only when they didnt break(mostly the revos lol. but they are quick though). If I had attended that event before buying my savage I would never have made the purchase.

I'm only a noob but I know what i seen
Old 09-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Chronic

Most of the truggies can take a good beating since they are designed to handle that on the track, but they just aren't great bashers. All that adjustment makes for some semi-fragile parts that will require constant tweaking. The center diffs bleed off power that you need for in-air correction and you can't pop wheelies anymore, so you would end up locking it anyway. They all have low ground clearance and if you jack them up and put some big old basher tires on them... there goes that great handling.

You CAN bash a truggy, but why? It would be fun, until the repair costs added up or until you decided to actually race that bent a broken POS.

If you want the closest thing to a truggy that can still bash, get a Revo 3.3 and build that.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:16 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Truggies are way fast and combine durability of a monster truck and the raving characteristics of a buggy. This trade off does sacrifice some of both.

The jumps and stuff you see at the race track are nothing compared to off-track bashing. Also, truggies can take the small impacts of bumps and being run over by other trucks on the track.
As far as off-track bashing goes, people bash their trucks by jumping them 15ft plus into the straight up into air. Others do crazy stuff like jump a tool shed or jump them into the side of a barn! There are countless vids on RCU showing some serious bashing (I tried to search for the vid thread I had in mind, but I think that one was locked down or deleted).
Old 09-19-2006, 09:45 AM
American Patriot

Ok, fair enough then. I guess I was just so impressed with the speed and nimble handling of a truggy/buggy, that I took for granted the brutishness of the savage.

I was seriously tempted to sell my savage for a truggy this winter. Most likely I will just make some mods to the savae instead. It will cost me less and at least I know what I have.