Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah G-45 Propellers

Preferences for propellers?
Opinions, please.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Extra300user

Default RE: Zenoah G-45 Propellers

I owned a G45 a few years ago and ran it on an APC 20X10 ...This along with a Tatone muffler gave me about 7600 - 7700 rpm...
Old 09-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Some of the guys aren't going to like this:

APC props look cool, but they don't pull worth diddly squat. They rev up a lot. Make a lot of noise. Thrust just isn't there.

I've run the APC in just about every size from 16-10 up to 22-10 and can't say I'm even moderately impressed.

For the G-45 you want to prop it to spin over 7000RPM on the bench. 7500RPM is even better. Typical Zenoah--the power curve is a bit higher RPM than a true purpose built engine like the DA or ZDZ which is perfectly happy to lug along at 6500RPM.

I'm liking the NX and MSC props right now. And while I haven't actually run an NX 20-10 on the G-45, I know it will turn up in the 7000RPM range and put out good thrust. Any of the nicer quality wood props out there is going to put out good thrust numbers. Try the MenzS, 3W, NX, MSC etc. Stay away from Bambula props unless you want to put an 18-10 on that motor and watch it turn 6800RPM. I hate Bambula props. Not much good for props, but they make great epoxy spreaders and paint stirrers.

You'll just have to experiment and find out which prop works best for your airplane. The NX 22-8 works great on my 1/3 Pitts with Fox 3.2, but the MenzS doesn't spool as fast. MSC 22-10 works great on my WM Patty w/G-62 and the 3W doesn't brake as well. You have to find the right prop for your airframe. It can get expensive. At $25--$30 apiece--you'd better have a pretty good idea of how a certain brand prop will perform and be able to make a good estimate of how it will perform on a fat and bulky airframe or a skinny and streamlined airframe. Only way to get that experience is to just bite the bullet and buy a bunch of props to test.

I spent over $500 on props this year. Not because I break them. Because I wanted to know how each brand performed compared to the next brand. Put 5 different 22-10 props on the same plane. Now do that with every plane and engine. Lucky me--I'm a Zenoah G-62 freak, so it was easy to just buy a boatload of 22-10 props and try them all on 4 different airframes. $500 later and 15 gallons of fuel--I know what I like on an airframe and I know what I don't want for a particular plane. Downline braking isn't that important to me on a 3D plane because most of the time the nose is pointed UP. Not down.[8D] I want downline braking on my IMAC plane because it helps me maintain a constant speed and it slows me down for spins and stalls when I need it. Nothing worse than watching your plane float across the entire sky while you wait for it to slow down enough to actually stall and break into a spin. When I cut the power on level flight--I want that prop to act like a forward facing parachute and darn near stop the plane. Enter my spin and get out of it before I belly flop the plane.

Your probably cussing me right now. "What? Spend $500 on props and see what I like?!!! You're crazy!!" [:@]

It's the only way you'll ever REALLY know what prop performs best on that particular airplane. [sm=shades_smile.gif]

Old 09-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the ones that go 'round and 'round...

BTW, that cost of experimentation gets a lot worse when the props get bigger and they are all composites... Unfortunately there just ain't no way to know the differences until you actually try them.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:50 AM
jbflier

APC 20x10...........
Old 09-28-2006, 03:35 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

I use an APC 20 X 8W or an APC 20 X 10 W

The larger sizes of APC props are very narrow, and will not produce that much thrust, but the WIDE model APC is a different story. It is the same widtch as the Mejlik and other carbon fiber props available. I would NEVER use a wood prop again, wood is not as efficient as composite, to many comprimises are made in the shape to make it strong enough. Not to mention balance problems, them being fragile, and just not as efficient at converting RPM to thrust as composite.

How many full scale or even ultralight aircraft still use wood ? Almost none.

Wood is outdated and inferrior.

JettPilot
Old 10-04-2006, 11:56 AM
JohnnyJ

Hello,

My G45 swings a Bolly CF 22x10 at 7200 rpm and a Menz Ultra at 6800 rpm.
The Menz pulls and flys better.

John
Old 02-25-2007, 10:24 AM
rollingrookie
My Feedback: (12)

Well I just purchased a G-45. Most threads say APC 20-10 is the way to go. I have always been a believer in APC because they always seemed to perform for me. Of course I need to mention that was on all glow engines. This is my first gasser. But just the same as I did with glow, I will just have to try a few options to find what works best for me, the engine, and the plane.

I got a steal on a Kangke 28% CAP 232. I also got a steal on the G45. Yes I know, I know.... heavy and underpowered... blah blah blah... but I have many warbirds and being my first gasser I said what the heck plus I am still in the learning curve. Plus one thing I do know is RPM's are somewhat important but not everything... it is all in how it flies and how well you like it too.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Flip and Fly

Asking what prop is best for what engine is going to get just the response you got.

Opinions, opinions[sm=confused_smile.gif] Its all very personal right!

For a G 45 something in the 20-10 range would be right I think. 22-10 might be too much for it but I can't say.

You could start with a 20-8 or 10. What kind of flying you do, and so on.

I personally like my Bolly 20-8 on a Brison 2.4. Tried a 20-8 APC wide blade, did not like it much. APC are OK but not for what I want.

Tried a 20-8 Master Airscrew scimitar wood, it was good.

I fly 3D, and what good pull from slow air speed, so what ya looking for.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:21 PM
scalebuilder

Help
Can someone guide me on how to determine what size 3 blade prop to use?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need more information about your aircraft and exhaust system.