Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > TJT Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

TJT 3000 Starter Bendix-Wearing out?

Community
Search
Notices
TJT Turbine Direct Support Ask your questions about TJT turbine in this forum. All I-Jets related questions may be asked here if relevant or in the general jet forum.

TJT 3000 Starter Bendix-Wearing out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:42 PM
F15driver
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TJT 3000 Starter Bendix-Wearing out?

Marty Cowan or other TJT reps please respond. My 3000 has about 25 hrs. on it and a problem just ocurred that I need some guidance on. In the startup procedure the propane/butane ignited and the turbine spun to about 6/7 thousand and then there was a clicking sound and the starter disengaged. The readout said "Bad Start". This happened maybe 3 times in a row. I pulled the starter motor out and reversed the o-ring, greased the bendix and reassembled it. It started OK but I could tell the starter was trying to disengage by slight clicking noises. Over the next 4 starts it failed once but I'm still hearing the clicking sound like the starter is trying to disengage the turbine nut or perhaps its the bendix acting up. On cooldown it engages the turbine just fine with no problems, no clicking sound. Any ideas? Its the FADEC ECU, version 3.1. Does the bendix wear out, needing replacement? Where can I get on here in the States? Is this little bendix universal to other turbines; i.e. would a Jetcat bendix fit?
Thanks for your help.
Rob Puetz
Old 10-13-2006, 09:55 PM
F15driver
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: TJT 3000 Starter Bendix-Wearing out?

Update on TJT start problem
Attempted a start today and had a failure with each attempt. First readout said " Low Gas " even though there was a full tank. Second attempt after gas ignition said " Low Battery ". Battery was fully charged the night before. While looking at the readout after the second failed start, I noticed the rpm readout showing 2700 rpm, even though the turbine was not turning. Turned the ignition off and back on and the readout still shows 2700 rpm. What is going on? Is all of this indicative of an ECU problem rather than a bendix problem? If I need TJT factory service, where do I send the turbie?
Help required please.
Regards,
Rob Puetz
Old 10-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

The FADEC does some funky things..I had the rpm problem (as well as the low battery, and bad start warnings) with a different make of engine and was advised to twist the glow plug wires together...did that, and the problem went away. Since the starter and bendix seem to be working fine on the cool down cycle, I would tend to lean towards it being an ECU issue......

Check your PM.....
Old 10-15-2006, 03:56 AM
JET FX

Hi Rob, Just got your email...sorry dont get chance to check in here as often as I would like, most likely an easy fix by the sound of things, but I will need some more specific details first as requested... Could you please email me directly with your contact details as this would be quickest way to assist you.

Thanks