Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

WH plane and Brillelli engine combo

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

WH plane and Brillelli engine combo

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:22 PM
farminred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WH plane and Brillelli engine combo

I would like some other factual oppinions on my issue. I have talked with Tom @ Wild Hare and he gave me his advice, which is good advice. I would like to know what other people think

I am looking for a plane for my first large scale gasser. I am going to power what ever I pick out for a plane with a Brillelli engine. Either the 40gt (if he still has them when i am ready to order or the 46gt. the 40 weighs 51 oz. with the muffler, E.I., and motor mount. it swings a 20 x 8 prop @ 7000 rpm. The 46gt weighs 55 oz with everthing attached. It swings a 22 x 8 prop @6500. I originally had been looking at the baby edge with the 40gt on it. I have found out that Brillelli is going to phase out the 40gt and only sell the 46gt. The guys at brillelli said to put the 46 gt on the baby edge. he say's that he has people flying a 68" yak with the 46. I When I talked with Tom today he said that putting that heavy of a motor on the baby edge would have fast flight charicteristics. He said that he has an 84" edge that he has on sale right now that the motor would better fit. Thats great and all but he says that the new model of the 84" edge is going to not be as strong as the one he has a few of left. He said that the plane will be 1-1.5 lbs lighter. I am looking for a plane that will with stand rough landings, 1 because I am new to large planes and 2 the field that we fly on is not good. I know this seems to be a long way off but I am not going to order a new plane until march 15 2007. (Don't ask about March 15. That is the wifes rules) By march I know Tom will Be out of the 84" edges that are heavier and a little stronger. That leaves me to go back to the baby edge with the 46gt. I have seen video of guy's flying the baby with a brillelli 40 which is 4 oz lighter than the 46.

Don't yell at me but I am going to post this on a couple of other forums to get a broader range of help.

Thank you all for your kind help.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:15 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: WH plane and Brillelli engine combo

I would get the new Brillelli 366GT, and pair with any WH 84" airplane.... I love my WH Edge, and it flew great with a stock G62... I have heard good things about Tom's Cap, and new Extra.... The Older Extra is also a very good 3D machine.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Well it was a bit hard to read so I skimmed through it

Personally I dont think 4 oz is going to make that much of a difference in the baby Edge BUT how the baby Edge flys vs the 84" will be night and day. Do yourself a favour and get the 84" hands down.

As far as the 46 powering it that depends on what type of flying you want to do. If you are into 3D then the 46 will hover that plane but pull out will be weak... doable but not adviced.

However if you are going to do sport flying and min. 3D then it will be a good combo... the 46 is pretty light and powerful so the weight will be kept down on the plane. What I would do is start buying things like a CF wing tube, CF / Fiberglass spinner, PSP axels from TBM, fiberglass landing gear, and some kavan wheels. All of these components will help save around 1 pound (maybe more) in the plane which will help you in many ways. Also you can buy these peice by piece in advance so the wife doesnt get on your case

If you get this plane between 16-17 pounds then they float like a baby. This will help you will your rougth field and allow you to get used to a bigger plane.

I wouldnt worry most of theWH planes are built pretty well and will deal with a couple harder landings ok. I cant see even the new lighter one being overly fraigile.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:56 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did Scott say why he was dropping the SPE conversion?

Ed Cregger
Old 10-31-2006, 08:07 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

I have the Baby Edge with a Brillelli 25GT and it flies good (not 3D) and it could use a bit more power but a 46 would be too much IMO. I have a 50cc (different brand) and I know it would be heavy and too much power for the Baby Edge.

I'd spend a little more and get the 84"

Larry
Old 11-12-2006, 02:57 PM
LookNatU2
My Feedback: (11)

Look into WH's 80" Yak and a Brillelli 46cc for power..
WH Yak is priced at $ 389.99 and the Brillelli at $ 355.00
Nice combo i think. Friend of mine is buying this same combo.
Good luck.
WH Yak is built light. I wouldnt go buy a heavy plane because your worried about hard landings sir. You can add to any landing structure to make it stronger. Besides once you see how light a plane like this combo would be it will float down like a feather.. well amost and i'm sure you won't have a problem.
My 2 cents.
Or for a first gasser combo look at a Carl Goldburg Extra 330 like I have. Only $265 now for the airframe.
Here's a post I did.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31...tm.htm#4986539
Old 11-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

I think the WH 73" Edge and a Brillelli 46 could be a great combo. I have been thinking about this for myself.

If you step up to an 80" or larger plane, then I would recommend getting the bigger 60cc Brillelli engine.

My recommendation is meant for 3D flying- specifically for pull out in a hover. I have a 46 in my 25% GP YaK54 and it can hover it, but it wants for pull out power (the engine has less than 2 gallons thru it - it may get stronger as it breaks in and optimally tuned). The Yak comes in at 14.5 lbs with an 81' wingspan. Now for sport flying the 46 awesome in this plane - more than enough power. This is why I think a lighter 73-74 inch plane would be great for the 46. Plus the WH Edge looks awesome.

As far as wing loading - it seems you always have to sacrifice a little if you want to have good pull out capability. I have had people tell me to watch the engine weight on my UCanDo and the plane is all wing and flys like a kite.

Good Luck!
Old 11-12-2006, 07:38 PM
LookNatU2

I think the GP Yak is heavier then the 80" WH Yak. I'm thinking the WH Yak should be right at 14lbs.
Bet you could get 8oz off your GP Yak.. U'd notice a difference.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:07 PM
LookNatU2

Hello all, just wanted to give a shout out to Scott at Brillelli engines for some "above and beyond" customer service.
For those that don't know how good his service is, let me say a few lines for what he has done for me.
First off I aquired a Brillelli 46cc engine when I bought 3 planes from a guy here on RCU, so I wasnt the original buyer. I found this forum and started learning about these engines. The engine ran great but the plane needed some fine tuning (months later). Finally got them fixed and maiden the plane. The engine wasnt running right in the air but fine on the ground. I was stumped so again I turned to this forum for a solution. Scott PM'd me asking for a pic and when did I buy it. I sent a pic and told him how I got the engine. To him it didn't matter that I wasnt the original buyer. I thought that was super as he told me to send it back to him because it was one of his very early units and if I was to send it to him he would for NO CHARGE do all the current mods to it. I was shocked and couldn't believe it. I told some friends and they too couldn't believe it either. Well, I sent it to Scott and he did like he said, tore it apart, changed the prop shaft and cut the back side end off the crank about 3/4", You current owners probably didnt know it even had that part there. The new prop shaft and lightned crank took off 3.4oz. Scott changed out the old carb and intake manifold and placed the new Zama carb on it took off more weight and the kicker part I thought was great is that he milled off 1.5oz on the outer head.(Looks Great)
All in all around 5oz lighter for my engine. Runs better, looks better and it certainly makes me feel better knowing I have the lastest mods and all from a company with top notch customer service. I also bought his syncro module for easier starting and smoother running and his Alum mounts that weigh 3.2oz because my old ones weighed 5.0oz. Scott has a lighter muffler coming in a week or so and i'll be sure to get one of them as well..
Well, that's my story, thanks for hearing it.
BTW, with the lighter engine, lighter mounts and lighter muffler it adds up to 10oz of weight. WOW.
This plane as built from the original builder weighed in a 16lbs even, now it's 13.15lbs Couldnt be happier.
Thanks SCOTT !!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 09:14 AM
rcbill
My Feedback: (1)

I have a WH Edge 84" with a DA 50 on it. I also have several planes including a few that have a 72" wingspan. I only bring the smaller planes to the field with me in case I should have problems with the larger one. Guess what. The smaller planes have been gathering dust. The 84" plane flies so much better and more realistic and have much better presence in the air. I would like to sell all my smaller planes but would not get my money out of them. I am presently putting together a 87" Yak. The WH Edge is a great plane and built well. Do yourself a favor and get the 84" Edge with the 366 or a 50 size engine (50 is plenty 60 is a rocket). To tell you the truth I think we all worry about the landing gear and breaking props. I did not bend my gear at all this year and did not break any props. It may have been a matter of luck but it was well worth the chance........ My nickels worth......
Old 11-13-2006, 09:28 AM
wildchild45177

If you want the 73" Edge withe the 40, and Brillelli does not have the 40, you can get the 40 from BCMA.

Bob