Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G-62 on a Hyde Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:14 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default G-62 on a Hyde Mount?

I am looking at a 1/3 scale WWI plane with a G-62 mounted with a Hyde Mount. I'm not sure this is a good idea. Just looking at it and moving things around, it has a lot of movement in it. I have a G-62 in a plane that is over 12 years old and everything is just fine. Would anyone care to comment on whether this Hyde mount is a good, bad or "who cares" idea. thanks.

Steve
Old 11-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Hurri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: G-62 on a Hyde Mount?

Never seen a hyde mount , imagine it is with a rubber mount idea? I like a rubber mount , saves a lot of vibration & noise . Personally I always have a piece of 3/16" thick alum; plate & mount the g62 to that , with spacers made up for the length to get out of cowl in correct spot . plate is as big as practical for f/wall size , drill a hole approx 1-1/2 " diam in center where back of crankshaft is , on each corner i drill 1/2" holes [4] in them i put rubber plugs -about 1" diam x 1/2 thick which has 1/4 " holes thru . there are 2 rubbers on each corner , 1 rubber is a "T" shape & goes into the 1/2 "hole in plate , Then have 4 "T" or "cone" nuts inside f/wall to screw 1/4 bolts into . The bolt heads are drilled thru on the hex for locking wire to go thru to stop getting loose .
Old 11-06-2006, 08:29 AM
splais

yes, a Hyde mount is a rubber mount. I thought they were primarily for pattern planes and used a nose ring for support. I haven't actually seem the mount yet.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve,

I strongly suggest that you do not soft mount a gasser in any size. It can be done, but unless you provide a means for the engine to swing up to 1-1/2" in all directions the mount will eventually be torn out of the airframe. Right around 3,000rpm most, if not all, single cylinder gassers go through a "harmonic" cycling that is unbelievable until you see it under a strobe light. If you soft mount that 62 make darn sure you have a really big hole at the front of the cowl.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Hurri

Silver serfer--- Guess i must be lucky from what you are telling me . I have had gassers on rubber mounts - the way i mentioned a couple of letters back - for 20 TWENTY years now & never a problem , I have & had Q42, Q52 , Sachs 3.2 , G23, g26, 2 G62 currently , so thats a load of rubbish you are saying . Obviously one has to do a decent job of mounting , not on made up rubber mounts .
Old 11-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Hurri

Addition for you -- i also use Mick reeves dummy engs; the clearance in the hole around where the G62 comes thru the dummy is about 3/16" all around , so from what you say the dummy eng; would have rubbed the dummy completely , mine are still in same condition as when installed .
Old 11-06-2006, 02:08 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Hurri

Silver serfer--- Guess i must be lucky from what you are telling me . I have had gassers on rubber mounts - the way i mentioned a couple of letters back - for 20 TWENTY years now & never a problem , I have & had Q42, Q52 , Sachs 3.2 , G23, g26, 2 G62 currently , so thats a load of rubbish you are saying . Obviously one has to do a decent job of mounting , not on made up rubber mounts .
I guess you have been lucky.
If you don't provide for the motor to move around you won't get the benefit of a soft mount. I would guess you have the rubber squeezed down to the to the point that it does you no good. The only way you will be able to tell is make some G measurements before and after installing the mounts
Old 11-06-2006, 02:37 PM
splais

Easy does it folks [] - I don't think Hurri was familiar with just what a Hyde mount is and how much movement it has. I have had the kind of mounts he is talking about (believe B & B sells them), they are not like a Hyde mount. but's lets all be nice please .
Old 11-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Hurri

Why does the motor have to move around? Why would dummy engs be made if as i said there is minimum clearance around the crank shaft. One couldn't have dummy engs & why would bennett sell mounts as I'm speaking of ? My rubbers are not up as tight as you mention & certainly makes diff; regards the radio getting vibration .
Old 11-06-2006, 06:28 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

VERY touchy subject---You either love u'm (Like myself) or you hate u'm---Personally I use them (Hyde Mount) on everything from 4stroke glow to twin/cyl gassers---
Old 11-06-2006, 07:28 PM
azhar
My Feedback: (19)

The Hyde mount are way too overpriced for the supposed benefit that they give.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made an successful "Hyde" type mount from plywood and EVA foam. It ended up being over 7 inched in diameter before it supported the engine well. It was stiff compared to what is seen on pattern planes but did reduce some airframe noise. The problem that I see with softmounting big engines is in dealing with their high amplitude- low frequency vibration. Its difficult to isolate the engine very well and still provide enough support for it. If you have a huge firewall its easy to construct a good working and lightweight softmount. I do not think soft mount development will become mainstream in giant scale because for the extra weight and expense of making a single smooth you can get a twin cylinder and do just as well. Besides that, Nobody really cares.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:46 AM
Tired Old Man

We use a "soft" type of mount on our equipment to prevent engine vibrations from being telegraphed on to our camers. Video stability is a crucial item with our stuff. That mount is quite large for the size of the engine, and possesses some features to let it unction properly that I can't share for various reasons.

A true "soft" mount will permit the engine to have a rlatively large range of motion. That range of motion does not relate well to cowls that have a fixed point for the spinner to relate to. If all you looking to do is slightly dampen a noise foot print, then simply mounting the engine against a medium density rubber pad would suffice. If what you are lookin for is a soft mount that both reduces noise and eliminates transmitted engine vibration, then you'd better be prepared for the engine to have some leeway in motion.

Personally, I don't consider what is basically hard mounting an engine into rubber boots to be a soft mount. This is where we may be having a significant difference in position.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:22 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

We use a "soft" type of mount on our equipment to prevent engine vibrations from being telegraphed on to our camers. Video stability is a crucial item with our stuff. That mount is quite large for the size of the engine, and possesses some features to let it unction properly that I can't share for various reasons.

A true "soft" mount will permit the engine to have a rlatively large range of motion. That range of motion does not relate well to cowls that have a fixed point for the spinner to relate to. If all you looking to do is slightly dampen a noise foot print, then simply mounting the engine against a medium density rubber pad would suffice. If what you are lookin for is a soft mount that both reduces noise and eliminates transmitted engine vibration, then you'd better be prepared for the engine to have some leeway in motion.

Personally, I don't consider what is basically hard mounting an engine into rubber boots to be a soft mount. This is where we may be having a significant difference in position.
Do you have G measurements that indicate rubber boots do anything for you?
I once went around to all of the manufacturers of soft mounts at Toledo asking if they had made G measurements to support thier claims. Non did.
I made some measurements in the early seventies on mounting servos with rubber garommets. I found they did nothing for you

Old 11-08-2006, 05:44 PM
harryw13

I've had a hyde mount on my BME-50 for the last two years, no problems, love it!!
Harry
Old 11-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Hans Meij

Steve, did you perhaps mean the hydro-mount?
It is a system made by the german importer of Zenoah.
It has soft rubber elements and movement dampers.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:52 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Lots of nice machining, but nope, a Hyde Mount is made by Merle Hyde, father of Chip Hyde...The Hyde mounts are extremely soft, enough so that the weight of the engine causes it to droop[8D] when it's not running...
Old 11-09-2006, 05:26 AM
Tired Old Man

Dirtybird,

You and I are in two completely different occupations. I can assure you that any test that could be performed with our equipment has and is being performed on a regular basis. The stuff we use is not for general use in any location other than our own, i.e., proprietary. Due to that, test information and design parameters cannot and will not be shared.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

I used the Bennet system once and bits of the aiframe continually failed, bolts fell out ,fiberglass cracked, hinges came loose etc.

Removed it and hard mounted the G62 no more problems with any of the above
Old 11-09-2006, 10:22 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Dirtybird,

You and I are in two completely different occupations. I can assure you that any test that could be performed with our equipment has and is being performed on a regular basis. The stuff we use is not for general use in any location other than our own, i.e., proprietary. Due to that, test information and design parameters cannot and will not be shared.
I am not of any occupation anymore. Your secrets would be safe with me.
It seems to me anytime anyone asks you for some data you pull the proprietary screen.
I can't help but wonder if its just plain BS.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Tired Old Man

Whatever. I really don't care.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:27 AM
splais

That Hyde mount is so soft he has a bracket to hold up the engine when he is not flying If I go that way on plane decision, the mount will go, heck maybe the engine too, I'm looking at the new RCS Radial 150

While I'm at it, this engine has also been run on Coleman Gas. Can someone tell me if this hurts the engine? Can I just switch back to gasoline? thanks.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:32 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had to completely isolate an engine I would use rubber air bags in a cradle type mount.