Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jetlegend LG and Skymaster Hawk

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jetlegend LG and Skymaster Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 06:58 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Jetlegend LG and Skymaster Hawk

Hi.
Does anyone know if the landing gear from a Jetlegend T-45 will work in the new Skymaster hawk?

Thanks!!
Dom
Old 11-06-2006, 07:44 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Jetlegend LG and Skymaster Hawk

Dom

I think it will be too small, I would also like some new landing gear for my SM Hawk as the main oleo springs are far too soft! Trying to source some stronger springs at the moment.

John
Old 11-06-2006, 03:43 PM
JohnMac

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi John,
Let me know if you find some. I have the same problem with mine. It taxis around like its a drunken man.
If I can't improve the springs I will buy some Jet A1 oleos from Sandor.
Regards,

John
Old 11-06-2006, 03:54 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Guys,
I spoke with Ali at Superman, and he told me you could take the oleo apart and put a small piece of wooden dowel inside the strut above the spinrg. When you reassemble the strut it should tighten the spring up and give it a little more pep. I sold the plane before I made the improvement, but it sounded very logical. Might be something you would want to try.
Tommy
Old 11-06-2006, 03:55 PM
john agnew

John

It would only be the T45 that would be the drunken sailor, the Hawk would be the drunken airman! I have tried Sandor and the Jet A1 oleos do not fit my VMP diamond retracts,I would need new pins or adaptors. The SM wheels don't fit the axels either

I am very resistant to shelling out £300 to replace what should be the correct landing gear for the model! Do the words "not fit for purpose" have any resonance here! Of course Ali won't be able to help as he is no longer the Skymasters dealer in the UK.

John
Old 11-06-2006, 03:57 PM
john agnew

Tommy

The problem with that fix is you then limit the amount of travel you have and a heavy landing( yes I have them too!) will rip the gear out of the wing.

John
Old 11-06-2006, 03:59 PM
DocYates

John,
I thought the same thing. Just thought I would throw that out to you guys, I knew you had already thought of it, but was just trying to help. Sounds like the real logical fix would be a stronger spring.
Tommy
Old 11-06-2006, 03:59 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

we have used silicone fuel tubing inside the spring to firm them up a little but still have some give. cut the length to about 50% of the spring length.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:30 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On my Skymaster Hawk, i HAD the same problem with the oleo struts.

the FIX was easy. i removed the spring in the struts, then i inserted a few washers under the spring, i did this till the Hawk sat level and it stopped walking like a duck going down the runway.

just add a few washers, thats all

Mark
Old 11-07-2006, 01:06 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: trioval00

On my Skymaster Hawk, i HAD the same problem with the oleo struts.

the FIX was easy. i removed the spring in the struts, then i inserted a few washers under the spring, i did this till the Hawk sat level and it stopped walking like a duck going down the runway.

just add a few washers, thats all

Mark
the problem does not go away.
you just compress the spring even more , if you then do a not so good landing your oleo,s will push thru the wing.
you cant get a different spring i tried everything , the problem is that the shaft is to small and a tougher spring wont fit,
since you need a larger spring .
the length of the spring is not important but the diameter is...

Old 11-07-2006, 01:09 AM
digitech

ORIGINAL: patf

we have used silicone fuel tubing inside the spring to firm them up a little but still have some give. cut the length to about 50% of the spring length.
i tried that to but after a few landings it looked like it was back to silicone kit.........
i also tried festo clear tubing inside the spring , it works for one landing ..
Old 11-07-2006, 08:07 AM
trioval00

DIGITECH, you said the washers wont work? they work GREAT, it fixed my problem and made a big difference in the way the Hawk handles on the ground, before flight and during landings

Mark
Old 11-07-2006, 08:23 AM
digitech

DIGITECH, you said the washers wont work? they work GREAT, it fixed my problem and made a big difference in the way the Hawk handles on the ground, before flight and during landings

Mark
no it doesnt work , you just made the oleo,s set higher it does not change the spring itself.
one day you will say : Darn............ how do i fix this.
believe me we europeans have the worst landing strips.....
on tarmac and a mile long i can land it ease
but try a 100ft grass strip with your oleo,s...
Old 11-07-2006, 08:26 AM
DocYates

Digitech,
would it be possible to use a washer on each side of a larger spring, that would keep the spring in place and allow for using a more heavy duty one?
TOmmy
Old 11-07-2006, 10:29 AM
john agnew

Guys

Why are we busting our nuts over this? We paid for a landing gear set from the Hawk manufacturer to suit the model. SM should be offering a FREE solution to this problem. What happened to product development and testing? My time is too expensive to be running about trying to find springs which should have been up to the job in the first place. I won't be rushing to buy another Skymasters product in the meantime.

John
Old 11-07-2006, 05:28 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Instead of shimming the spring with washers or a dowel try stretching the spring until its free length is a bit longer . That way you have more preload and the same travel as before. Do it in small increments until you get the desired effect.

Joe
Old 11-07-2006, 07:26 PM
trioval00

Joe, shimming the spring with a one or two washers will also preload the spring, yes it DOES WORK.

i know this works because i have been working with springs the past 10 or so years. my son and I raced stock cars and also work on a local nascar team and work alot with the springs and shocks, #74 cup team.

when my Skymaster hawk first ran up and down the runway, I did not like the way it sat or handled, and playing with the springs by adding a washer under them fixed the problem, stretching the spring will only weaken it, if you want to increase the strenght of the spring cut a little off and add a shim.

John agnew, I agree with you, Skymaster should have a fix for this problem, maybe they are not aware of this problem?

Mark
Old 11-07-2006, 10:59 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Mark,
Glad to hear that you got satisfactory results by shimming the springs. I never said it wouldn't work. I was responding to John Agnew's comment that shims will limit the travel. The ideal solution would be a different spring that was properly matched for this application, if someone could find or make one.

I was pointing out that the other option is to stretch the existing spring. That has the advantage of not limiting the travel. Stretching the spring and reinstalling it to the same compressed height won't weaken it. I do not have a Hawk so I don't have firsthand experience with which approach will work best for it. I have shimmed and/or stretched oleo springs on a number of planes. Either approach can work, sometimes one better than the other. I was just proposing another potential solution that has worked for me on other applications.

Joe
Old 11-08-2006, 02:24 AM
digitech

Joe, shimming the spring with a one or two washers will also preload the spring, yes it DOES WORK.

i know this works because i have been working with springs the past 10 or so years. my son and I raced stock cars and also work on a local nascar team and work alot with the springs and shocks, #74 cup team.

when my Skymaster hawk first ran up and down the runway, I did not like the way it sat or handled, and playing with the springs by adding a washer under them fixed the problem, stretching the spring will only weaken it, if you want to increase the strenght of the spring cut a little off and add a shim.

John agnew, I agree with you, Skymaster should have a fix for this problem, maybe they are not aware of this problem?

Mark
Hello Marc

the problem is that the springs are so weak they completely compress them selfes.
this will be the same as adding a screw instead of a spring...
i am not bashing you , i just builded 6 hawks some time ago for customers and all had the same problems.
and yes if it was my product i would give a full warranty about this issue.
but dont hold your breath , the problem is anyone who looks at our gears think it is expensive,it is......
but dont forget the customer always looks for the cheapest solution.
and afterward pays twice.....
we also are going to have new china gears soon , i have been testing them lately.
and it seems they listened and are not using "happy meal" toys anymore.
as for the original oleo,s that SM sold some time ago
they where selling them at jetpower in germany for 5 euro,s each incl the spring , does that tell you about the quality?.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:26 AM
digitech

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

Mark,
Glad to hear that you got satisfactory results by shimming the springs. I never said it wouldn't work. I was responding to John Agnew's comment that shims will limit the travel. The ideal solution would be a different spring that was properly matched for this application, if someone could find or make one.

I was pointing out that the other option is to stretch the existing spring. That has the advantage of not limiting the travel. Stretching the spring and reinstalling it to the same compressed height won't weaken it. I do not have a Hawk so I don't have firsthand experience with which approach will work best for it. I have shimmed and/or stretched oleo springs on a number of planes. Either approach can work, sometimes one better than the other. I was just proposing another potential solution that has worked for me on other applications.

Joe
the spring compresses itself completely and leaves no room for travel.
the size of the tube where the spring rests is to small to exchange them for larger springs.
like i said beofre it is not the lenght it is the thickness of the spring itself that is important....