Gas engine experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:51 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas engine experience

Hello everyone,
Has anyone had good luck using the Hitec Eclipse 7 system with spark ignitions engines. I am very interested in the Spectra module and QPCM reciever. If you have had sucess using this equipment, please take a moment to comment on your experience.

Thanks for your thoughtful input, Dave
Old 11-15-2006, 05:42 AM
The Raven

Default RE: Gas engine experience

Just getting into gassers myself and have been using an Eclipse 7 with all Hitec gear onboard. The plane hasn't flown much (8 flights) and I recently broke the magneto off my engine, which has delayed further flights.

PPM Supreme RX used for inital flights and notice no particular problems. Mind you this was in fairly windy weather. On a calm day I noticed one or two minor glitches in a area of sky known for problems. Having ruled out any interference issues, hence the test flights using PPM, I switched over to a QPCM Supreme with failsafe set. Only two short flights with this setup and not a single glitch noted.

Obviously more testing is required, once I fix the engine.

Just for your info: Engine was a Homelite 25cc with standard magneto ignition. Receiver was at least 18 inches back from flywheel. The only shielding I did was to add some ferrite rings to the servo leads, just in case some stray signals came in through there.

The Spectra module should be fine, if there's going to be an issue it will be with interference to the receiver.

Oh, see my gallery for pics of this aircraft. Ugly but she flies. Need to tweak that guessed at airfoil to make it fly a little better, she's a heavyweight at 16+ pounds....
Old 11-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Personally I haven't used Hitec Transmitters... but have seen a couple guys at our field fly gas with them.

Always remember... range check a new plane with an FM receiver with engine off and then on.. if you can get 75% - 90% your range with the engine running you are fine. Swap receivers and range check it regualrly just to make sure nothing has change. I personally do a range check nearly every time I get to the field.

This really applies to any radio.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:59 AM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

been flying gas with hitec everything for 6 years and not one radio related crash
Old 11-15-2006, 04:30 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 3dd

been flying gas with hitec everything for 6 years and not one radio related crash

-------------------

I've been using Hitec receivers and servos for quite a while. Some of my Hitec Supreme receivers are sixteen years old. They work the same as they did the first time that I used them - excellently. There is no reason to be particularly concerned if a receiver is a Hitec. I prefer the old Hitec Supreme receivers to the Futaba FP-127DF of the days when the Hitecs were new. And there was nothing wrong with the Futabas either. They just weren't as solid as the Hitecs that I flew. But they were good enough to fly safely. I did buy three recently manufactured Hitecs a little while back, but haven't had a chance to use them as yet. Hopefully, their performance is as good as the old ones I own.

If you are flying spark ignition and you have a problem with the receiver, any brand receiver, suspect the ignition system of having problems first. If the signal can't get out of the ignition, it won't get into the receiver.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-16-2006, 01:55 AM
The Raven

Yep, the first thing to do is minimise the chances of interference with gas motors.

Start with the ignition system, no matter what the type try to source a shielded plug lead and cap. If you can't do that, as in my case, at least use a quality resistor style plug (eg. NGK R).

Minimise metal to metal contact, particularly from the throttle back to the servo.

Keep the receiver as far from the engine as possible, putting as much material between it as you can. Naturally, route the antenna away from the engine. Be careful not to start overshielding the engine from the receiver/antenna, you could end up with a dead reception spot at certain angles to the plane (eg. head on usually).

If using long servo lead runs buy some ferrite rings and loop the leads around them nearest to the receiver, it does help with the jitters as a friend found out on his plane. At the very least they are cheap insurance and the weight won't kill it either.

After thorough range tests (running and not) and then test fly with FM/PPM receivers. The idea being that if you have any problems they will show up early, giving you the opportunity to minimise interference hopefully prior to first flight. No use starting with QPCM as it may mask potential problems, and if it does that close to fail-safing you will find that out at the worst possible moment...probably take off.

Mostly basic stuff but there were a few things there I didn't know and was lucky enough to implement before I got anywhere near the air.