Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Running without tube hooked up to pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:57 PM
rheeder218

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running without tube hooked up to pipe?

Last time i ran my savage .25 i ran it without the tube hooked up to the pipe and it ran great with out the half tank lean problem, i did have to richen it a lot. Did anyone find out if this was a bad thing to be doing to solve the half tank lean?
Old 11-14-2006, 10:14 PM
benzzyo5

Default RE: Running without tube hooked up to pipe?

u had to ritchen it cuz it was a FULL tank lean instead of a half one
Old 11-14-2006, 10:20 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

NEVER run your truck with that line off

that will be so hard on your motor under full throttle as there is NO fuel presure to keep the mixture right......if your truck ran better without that line you really have to re think your ability to tune. just my .02
Old 11-14-2006, 11:06 PM
rheeder218

i dont think it ran better over all but it ran better with more than a half tank when it was hooked up. So pretty much it is a bad thing to do? I hate only filling up half way and having such a short run time.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:10 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Running without the pressure line might give you the false feeling of increased performance. Even though you had to richen way out, you still risk not having enough fuel reaching the engine.

The engine will demand more fuel at top RPM band widths and only the exhaust pressure line can provide. At lower RPMs, you can probably get away with this, but no one knows at what RPMs running without the pressure line will become detrimental. On big blocks, I suspect that mid RPM bandwidths is when running without the pressure line will become detrimental; I guess this because of their large displacements as compared to small blocks.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:11 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the line on. Your engine will thank you in the long run.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:23 AM
Gravrober

ORIGINAL: MAMMOTH TOUGH

NEVER run your truck with that line off

that will be so hard on your motor under full throttle as there is NO fuel presure to keep the mixture right......if your truck ran better without that line you really have to re think your ability to tune. just my .02
Adam Drake races his rigged like that. also a few guys that come on here have their savage's set up that way. I was going to try it but then decided that it would ultimately just burn more fuel and the stuff is too expensive as it is.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:24 AM
Chronic

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4474851/anchors_4474851/mpage_1/key_drake%252Cpressure%252Cline/anchor/tm.htm#4474851]Click here[/link]

It sounds like it can be done. I don't know that I would bother doing it...
Old 11-15-2006, 07:48 AM
sS(psycho)Ss

i run my rs4 3 evo with no pressure line , it burns less fuel... and still runs fine so far..
Old 11-15-2006, 10:09 AM
rheeder218

Damn i was afraid of this happening, getting both sides of the storyu and people being successful with it and some sayin it a bad thing. If anyone else has more information on how long their motor has lasted and if doing this ACTUALLY caused damage let me know.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Gravrober

I doubt it will cause damage. your just changing air fuel settings to compensate. if the tanks were higher than the carb we could let it gravity feed. the pressure line is just to help push the fuel. its just a matter of adjustment.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:45 PM
black mamba

Big time racers will do anything and everything to get the last bit of performance out of their engines....usually at the expense of longevitivity Why? Because their sponsers foot the bill for engine replacements and they could care less. Do as you wish, but you are not doing your engine any good in the long run.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:07 PM
rheeder218

ORIGINAL: bumperdragger

Big time racers will do anything and everything to get the last bit of performance out of their engines....usually at the expense of longevitivity Why? Because their sponsers foot the bill for engine replacements and they could care less. Do as you wish, but you are not doing your engine any good in the long run.
Im not sayin your wrong but i would just like a little bit more proof or better explaining on how it makes the engine work harder?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:13 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I can tell the half lean thing but not that bad on mine so I rather run it with the pressure line and not take a chance. Some most have a really big problem with half lean I do not.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:34 PM
rheeder218

My problem is pretty bad, its sos bad it wont shift, and im guessing it does maybe 10 to 15 mph before it gets half empty
Old 11-15-2006, 05:31 PM
savage_2.5

That is so bad for the motor, u need it without it u have no back pressure and can really screw ur motor up
Old 11-16-2006, 09:48 AM
rheeder218

ok well since a few people says it is a bad idea i proably should stay away from doing that, but is there another tank that can replace the stock one, that is maybe smaller and you dont have to worry about half tank lean.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:08 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: rheeder218

Im not sayin your wrong but i would just like a little bit more proof or better explaining on how it makes the engine work harder?
The quick answer is this. The Savage tank is notorious for its half tank leanout....running without that line will just make this worse.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:17 AM
rheeder218

The quick answer is this. The Savage tank is notorious for its half tank leanout....running without that line will just make this worse.
ok well then is there a replacement tank that is im guessing smaller but doesnt have the half tnak lean.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:28 AM
black mamba

Do a search as some guys here have gone to aftermarket tanks. New Era is one, there are others.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:52 AM
rheeder218

is this the tank
http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/...b&part_id=1704
Old 11-16-2006, 01:04 PM
tmodlin

is this the tank
http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/...b&part_id=1704
Yes, that is the one. Others have done a mid tank conversion also but I am not sure which tank they are using.

I have the New Era kit and it works great, no more half tank lean you just have to fill it more often.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:21 PM
rheeder218

is that the only place that the tank can be bought?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:33 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

The only problem with the New ERA tank set up is you are still cutting down on run time as the tank is a bit smaller 35cc smaller. I wonder why some have such a problem with the half lean tank problems and others can hardly tell it. Mine shifts and run ALL MOST as good through the whole tank. Yes I can tell it but not enough to change my tank.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:08 PM
rheeder218

Well mine is pretty bad that im looking for any alternative to fix it, including removing the pressure line. plus with that tank you get a good 25 to 30 more cc's of fuel that can be ran

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.