Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Kroma vs Torch vs DA150

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 02:37 PM
ripper-911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kroma vs Torch vs DA150

Hello all. I am interested in a new engine that has more power than my DA150 but still fits in the cowl of my Carden Edge 540.
I have a couple of questions about the Kroma and the Torch:

How do they compare in power to the DA150?

Does the Kroma and Torch carbeurators have a third needle for midrange?

Are they long stroke engines like the DA or are they normal stroke?

Is there a US distributer for the Torch engines (I can't read their website as there does not appear to be an English version)?

Does anyone know if the performance data on the Torch website is actually correct?

I just want to make a well informed decision befoe I decide to purchase either the Kroma or the Torch.

Comments and experience appreciated.

Regards,

Robert
Old 11-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Kroma vs Torch vs DA150

I heard DA is working on a 170cc twin. Hmm, maybe they should make it a 190..
Old 11-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Marcelo Assis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Robert,
My name is Marcelo and I own the Torch Engines factory with more two partners.
Currently I am living in Wilmington DE and I am in charge of spreadout our brand in US.
Our engines are very reliable and there are some information on our website that need to be uptodated.
Our 180cc twin is running a 32X10 at 6100 RPM in the breaking time and you can get more as soon as it get breaked in. Weare using the Falkon ignition from Czeck Republic wich is a very good ignition. Our intake manifold is very good too and our engines look very nice.
I have right now one 90cc and one 60cc with me and some more including the 180cc comming in December.
You can reach me at 302 4070905 at nights est fell free to call me and I can give you more information.
What I can tell you is that our engines are very good and we are trying to keep the prices in a competitive level.
Take care
Marcelo Assis
TORCH ENGINES
www.torchengines.com.br
Old 11-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Marcelo Assis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Robert,
My name is Marcelo and I own the Torch Engines factory with more two partners.
Currently I am living in Wilmington DE and I am in charge of spreadout our brand in US.
Our engines are very reliable and there are some information on our website that need to be uptodated.
Our 180cc twin is running a 32X10 at 6100 RPM in the breaking time and you can get more as soon as it get breaked in. Weare using the Falkon ignition from Czeck Republic wich is a very good ignition. Our intake manifold is very good too and our engines look very nice.
I have right now one 90cc and one 60cc with me and some more including the 180cc comming in December.
You can reach me at 302 4070905 at nights est fell free to call me and I can give you more information.
What I can tell you is that our engines are very good and we are trying to keep the prices in a competitive level.
Take care
Marcelo Assis
TORCH ENGINES
www.torchengines.com.br
PS Take a look at the ollowing forum and check the Marciouca Report:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5001278/tm.htm
Old 11-20-2006, 07:21 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ripper-911

Hello all. I am interested in a new engine that has more power than my DA150 but still fits in the cowl of my Carden Edge 540.
I have a couple of questions about the Kroma and the Torch:

How do they compare in power to the DA150?

Does the Kroma and Torch carbeurators have a third needle for midrange?

Are they long stroke engines like the DA or are they normal stroke?

Is there a US distributer for the Torch engines (I can't read their website as there does not appear to be an English version)?

Does anyone know if the performance data on the Torch website is actually correct?

I just want to make a well informed decision befoe I decide to purchase either the Kroma or the Torch.

Comments and experience appreciated.

Regards,

Robert
Robert:

I am Tom Fawcett from Wild Hare R/C. For the past year or so I have been working with Marcelo and Torch engines in anticipation of becoming their USA distributor. I can answer many of your questions.

I have been testing their 90-cc single and I am about to begin testing the 180 twin which uses the same cylinder.

The Torch 90 uses what appears to be a very good quality cylinder/piston from some type of industrial 2 stroke engine. It has conservative timing and porting and lots of finning for cooling under extreme conditions. The ones I have are drilled for 2 sparkplugs, one hole is 10mm and accepts a CM6, the other is 14mm. The cylinder appears to be top quality and should last a very very long time like any good industrial engine. This is not cheapie weedwhacker stuff, it's top of the line.

The parts that Torch make also appear to be excellent quality. They buy the Falkon ignitions from me so I know they work well.

The industrial nature of the power heads means they do not put out quite as much power as a purpose-designed engine like 3w 157, but they are very close and are virtually identical in weight to the other 150s on the market. The 90 cc single runs a lot like a ZDZ-80 with similar power. It's very smooth and it would make an excellent power source for any 100" class airplane. I've been flying it on a 102" MX2 prototype and it goes like snot straight up. Plenty of power for a 24 lb. plane.

I have not yet started the 180. Torch is new and some of their designs are still being improved. For example on the 180 the original design had the carb slightly staggered which made it tough to hook up the throttle. They revised that so the throttle pushrod is now a straight shot back from the carb. They have been very good about incorporating minor changes to make the design work better in actual use. It's little things like this that make me optimistic that their engines will be very succesful.

I expect the 180 twin to have power similar to a 3w157. I'm putting it on my 41% Extra 300 with canisters. I'm working on it now, I will be happy to post some photos of it when I'm done.

I also plan to test it in a dual ignition configuration taking advantage of the dual plug setup.

TF

Old 11-20-2006, 09:20 PM
torquen

Robert, if your looking for more power, smoother transition, and faster throttle responce and also still be able to get the engine serviced then Look at the 3w 157. They make this engine in the CS version as well which will only make more power. http://www.cactusaviation.com/Produc...57/engine.html Cactus Aviation also has a sale going on and will match any competition.
Garrett Morrison
Old 11-20-2006, 10:56 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

Hello Robert,

We have been importing and distributing the Kroma engines for a couple of years now. I can honestly say in the 150cc market, I have yet to see anything that compares to it. There are a lot of good engines out there to choose from, but if you are among those that have an airplane that is just too big for a 150, yet don't want the weight of a 200, then the Kroma 180 is your engine.

We do all service and warranty work in house. Our trained technicians have over 18 years experience in 2 stroke engines.

We would be honored to have your business.

Best regards,
Rob Behymer
DR Hobby Distributing
www.drhobbies.com
[email protected]
Old 11-21-2006, 04:57 PM
fenestron
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Guy's,

I have Kroma 180i on my Comp.-Arf 3.3. Yak. All I can say is WOW. I am still breaking it on the 32x10. It is a great weight/power combo. Rob and the sales Rep's at DR Hobbies are great to deal with and are very up to date on the Kroma Engines

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57203.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	564476