Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Charging 2 Rx packs with Accu Elite

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Charging 2 Rx packs with Accu Elite

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Marcos Nieto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging 2 Rx packs with Accu Elite

Hi guys.....................I've just placed this post in the battery charger forum but sure some giant scale pilot have had the same problem I do.
I've been flying my GP 1/3 Pitts for some time now. It has a 2000 mAh batt pack and I decided to double the batt capacity hooking in ch 9 of the Futaba PCM receiver a second 2000 mAh batt pack. It works fine but when I try to charge both batt packs with my Accu Elite at the same time, every time I connect the second pack the charger gives an error bip and it goes crazy. I immediately turn it off just in case there is something wrong with the setup to avoid damaging any component. It charges both pack fine when charged without connecting the packs to the receiver through the switch.
Any help welcome

Thanks

Old 11-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Charging 2 Rx packs with Accu Elite

This is a known problem with this charger that has been well documented.
The grounds for the two packs need to be disconnected.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Yep, most std switches out there just break the + wire and not the ground. You have to break the ground also in order to use that charger on both batteries at the same time. That means either finding some switches that break both the + and -, unhooking one battery from the switch in order to charge them both at the same time, or charge them one at a time.............What I did to solve the problem was to buy one Sanyo FAUP 3200 mAh pack with two leads. I'm using two switches and plugging into two slots in the receiver......In my 33% Hanger 9 Exta with 4-5945's, and 3-5955's, std on throttle, I'm using 250 mA's per 15 minute flight......That's over 2 1/2 hrs flight time. More than I can do in one day.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Ed

Like Geistware says, the Elite will not handle two packs with a common ground. Don't try it, or you'll get smoke.

By the same token, my Alpha 4, having totally independent outputs, has no problem.

> Jim
Old 11-21-2006, 08:07 AM
Marcos Nieto

Thanks guys for your advise........by the way is it possible to recycle the packs individually without disconnecting the grounds???

Thanks

Marcos
Old 11-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Ummmmm, never tried that. I got a hunch since you can't charge them like that, you won't be able to discharge them either....