Engine for TF Giant P-51?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine for TF Giant P-51?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum as I spend most of my time on jets. I have spent the last 35 years flying mostly sport scale and the last 2 years flying jets, but no giant scale with gas.

I have put off building my giant TF P-51 because I can't decide which engine to use. I don't want it to crawl around like a fast cub, but I also don't need jet like or 3D performance either. I have a Zenoah G45, but I don't know if it will provide fighter performance, nor have I found a muffler that will fit in the cowl.

What about Evolution, ZDZ, 3W, or others? How about good sounding engines? And which are thin enough to allow a wrap around muffler that will stay mostly in the cowl?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-27-2006, 08:33 PM
eugene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine for TF Giant P-51?

Chris,
The G-45 would be a perfect engine....but......the cowl will be unrecognizable after you fit the engine....The B&B muffler will be completely exposed, and the carb will be out past the needles... I'm speaking from experience...I finally had to cut the cowl in half, and make the lower a seperate piece...
The US 41 is a good fit, but low on power.. The Fuji 43 is another fairly good fit...For best scale appearance, you'll need a rear carb/rear exhaust engine, a ZDZ, or DA type.....Pricey, but will fit under the cowl...
Old 11-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

A modified G45 or G62 would fit much better. I have a G62 I'm going to use that you can see on this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_48...tm.htm#5008928
Old 11-27-2006, 10:56 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

I used a Revolution 50 in mine........it screams and fits in the cowl
Old 11-28-2006, 08:11 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Chris:

I am getting ready to start building mine. I picked the DA-50 engine (rear carb). It is one of the engines for which you can get Keleo scale exhausts and you don't have to butcher the cowl. If you get the DA-50 be sure to get the 3 inch standoffs. As Eugene said, can be a bit pricy (depending on the size of your wallet). I also picked up a full fiberglass cowl and a fiberglass air scoop.

Dan
Old 11-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Here's mine with a Brison 2.4. It will lift off in 150', loop from level flight and fly at about 75 mph. Considered larger engines but kept asking myself - why ?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72263.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	568107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41609.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	568108  
Old 11-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Don, did you have to add any weight to the nose to balance?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Birddog-RCU

Don, did you have to add any weight to the nose to balance?

I get asked this question a lot and the answer is it actually turned out nose heavy. In anticipation of the lighter engine I didn't install a retractable tailwheel and used a very heavy homemade stand off system for the engine. I have the engine in another plane now and when I put it back I plan to lighten up the mount a bit ( about 8 ozs. ) and that should make it about right. It weighs dead on 20 lbs. right now so it should be about 19.5 after surgery. Most people who have seen it fly cannot believe it only has a 2.4 in it. I'm very satisfied with it.

The 2.4 is right now in a 12.5 lb. Balsa Nova 120 and it is ballistic
Old 12-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys,
I'm leaning toward a DA50 inverted and a wrap-around muffler. Seems it should fit. But I am still keeping an open mind.
Chris
Old 12-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Just another suggestion to match Birddog's...

My brother is using a ZDZ in his and when trying to get an inverted Pitts style muffler to fit, he ran into problems clearing the bottom of the firewall box.

So.... It now has the Keleo functional scale exhaust and it's not much more money than an inverted Pitts style, especially if you buy the Pitts type first then find out it doesn't fit all that well. I'd definitely check out the the Keleo...

http://www.keleo-creations.com/Mustang/DA-50engine.htm