Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HUMP PACK FOR SAVAGE X

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:51 PM
MADCHAOSTOO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HUMP PACK FOR SAVAGE X

NEW TO RC TRUCKS...CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THEY MEAN BY A HUMP PACK???? THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 11-27-2006, 06:56 PM
USERNAMEHERE

Default RE: HUMP PACK FOR SAVAGE X

they are 5 cell rechargeable battery packs that replace the standard 4 AA's
Old 11-27-2006, 08:13 PM
DaveG55

Right 5 cells replace the stock 4 pack. The batteries in hump packs are usually 2/3'rds the size of standard AA batteries. They are arrainged 3 on the bottom and 2 on top in the "valleys". When they are shrink wrapped the appear to be a hump shape - as opposed to a square or flat pack. The hump pack fits easily into most radio/battery boxes that the old square pack fit into. You want the 5 cells to get the votage back up to 6v because rechargables are 1.2v each instead of the 1.5v of standard alkaline batteries.
Here's an example of a popular one for the Savage. Notice that it has a lead for the rx and one to stick out to charge so you don't have to remove the battery to charge it.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFJT1&P=ML
Here's another. No extra lead but 4oomah more capacity.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKKF2&P=ML

One last thing, Please turn your cap lock off. All caps is internet shouting and considered very rude.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:36 PM
spiftacu1ar

Another question, is it possible to use the 7.2 volt packs that electric cars use (i know it won't fit, but just wondering)
Old 11-27-2006, 09:59 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: spiftacu1ar

Another question, is it possible to use the 7.2 volt packs that electric cars use (i know it won't fit, but just wondering)
No & yes.
No it's not a good idea.
But, yes, a 7.2v battery will operate the rx and servos but it's 1.2v or 17% higher than their maximum rated voltage. Your servos will be very strong and fast but they will be likely to burn out fairly quickly as will the rx.
There are devices that will allow you to use a 7.2v (or higher) battery with standard electronics. They're called regulators and can be pretty expensive. All in all it's easiest and less expensive to just get a proper reciever pack.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:54 PM
gleebs

From what I understand Hitec servos can be operated up to 12v. The guy at the LHS said so, but he may just be blowin smoke, but he has never led me astray before.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Surfrider

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Right 5 cells replace the stock 4 pack. The batteries in hump packs are usually 2/3'rds the size of standard AA batteries. They are arrainged 3 on the bottom and 2 on top in the "valleys". When they are shrink wrapped the appear to be a hump shape - as opposed to a square or flat pack. The hump pack fits easily into most radio/battery boxes that the old square pack fit into. You want the 5 cells to get the votage back up to 6v because rechargables are 1.2v each instead of the 1.5v of standard alkaline batteries.
Here's an example of a popular one for the Savage. Notice that it has a lead for the rx and one to stick out to charge so you don't have to remove the battery to charge it.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFJT1&P=ML
Here's another. No extra lead but 4oomah more capacity.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKKF2&P=ML

One last thing, Please turn your cap lock off. All caps is internet shouting and considered very rude.
Perfect information, but I would advise the following hump pack:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNMD7&P=7

If youre going to spend $26 for the Ofna 1400mAh pack, you might as well spend the extra $4 and get the 1600mAh one.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:48 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Surfrider

Perfect information, but I would advise the following hump pack:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNMD7&P=7

If youre going to spend $26 for the Ofna 1400mAh pack, you might as well spend the extra $4 and get the 1600mAh one.

Hy guy, thanks for that. The 1600 one is the one I thought I was linking to. Guess I missed, huh???
Old 11-28-2006, 09:58 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: gleebs

From what I understand Hitec servos can be operated up to 12v. The guy at the LHS said so, but he may just be blowin smoke, but he has never led me astray before.
I don't know. I've never heard that. I'm not sure exactly what good it would do since all the recievers I'm aware of are 6v anyway. I'm sure not gonna put 12v to any of my rx's. Also, looking at the Hitec spec sheet, they only specify 4.8v and 6v. It seems to me that if they were 12v capable that Hitec would be at least saying "hey, ours will do this".
Personally, I'm gonna stick with a 6v rx pack. At least I know I'll be within any warrantied specs that way.

Here's the Hitec servo spec sheet.
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Servos/servochart.pdf
Old 11-28-2006, 11:08 AM
kurtf5

TURN CAPS OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:58 PM
MADCHAOSTOO

Thanks for the response and I'm also very sorry about the cap lock...won't happen again. Thanks Mike