Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Venus 40 tailplane

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Venus 40 tailplane

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 06:55 PM
aresti1963

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venus 40 tailplane

I'm about to start assembling a Greatplanes Venus 40 ARF. Does anyone have any tips on how to fit the tailplane without getting the covering of the tailplane covered with glue. The reason I'm asking is, The slot in the fuselage for the tailplane is not the kind that you can slide it into fron the rear. It's the kind where you slide the tailplane into the fuselage from the side. Now.... if I put epoxy on the slot of the fuselage, It'll be smeared onto the tailplane whilst sliding it in. If I put the glue on the tailplane, it'll all end up at one side of the fuselage as it's slid in, possibly making a weak joint at one side[sm=confused.gif]

So...... is there a way to acheive an even glue joint, or, do I just go for the last option and assume enough glue will be left in there????
Old 11-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Venus 40 tailplane

On that type of slide in tail, I know of two ways to do it. One is to use thin CA
to glue it in (about three applications) and then a nice bead of medium or thick
CA....(watch the thin CA, it will run all over the place [X(] )

....or by cutting a slot in the fuselage with a razor saw, so you can slip the stab in
....epoxying in the stab as normal, and getting a real good job....then epoxying back
in the cut piece. You won't really see the cut piece in the back there after you glue it
back in....and it is just a strong as before.

FBD.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:51 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Apply the epoxy to the Horizontal stab and slide it in, it's done all the time and it really doesn't take alot of glue to make strong bond. I apply the glue to the side that is slid in first, that way as the stab slides in it spreads it across to the other side.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:42 PM
alan0899

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

Apply the epoxy to the Horizontal stab and slide it in, it's done all the time and it really doesn't take alot of glue to make strong bond. I apply the glue to the side that is slid in first, that way as the stab slides in it spreads it across to the other side.
G'day Mate,
As above, & if you get some epoxy on the covering have a clean rag handy that has been wet with methanol, or methylated spirits, & before it goes off, just wipe the epoxy off your covering.
The methanol will disslove the epoxy, makeing it easy to clean off.
You can also thin epoxy with a small amount of methanol, mixed in. Very useful for fuelproofing your engine bay, & bulkheads.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:39 PM
aresti1963

Thanks guys, I had thought about cutting out the rear of the slot, but have decided to go with the glue and slide method. Regarding all your epoxy clean-up ideas...... I always buy a pack of baby wipes. They clean up epoxy brilliantly. I think they contain a small amount of alcohol, but whatever is in them, it works great. Use one to wipe up the excess and another to give it a final polish. Leaves a great neat fillet too.