Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

I have an engine starting problem too!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:20 AM
The Hedgehog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have an engine starting problem too!!!

Hey guys,
Well I was given a stock savage rtr 25 about a month ago and have beeen very happy with it. I learned how to tune it, replace wheels and other minor parts, but my lack of knowledge about RC cars shows right now.

When I start the engine with the roto start its starts until I stop spinning with the roto start. I suspect something with the clutch but what do I look for? Glow Plugs are good I checked those out and like I said the tune is fine.

So can anyone let me know what I should be looking for/at when I take apart the clutch today?

Thanks guys,

Mark
Old 12-01-2006, 10:21 AM
The Hedgehog

Default RE: I have and engine starting problem too!!!

Also it makes a metal "clank" noise everytime it quits after pulling the rotostart out, noy sure if that helps.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:47 AM
SpikeX

Your idle screw could be a tad too low. The metal clanking noise is perfectly normal.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:21 PM
amwhite2005

The metal clang is normal. I say the idle needle may be a bit low. Also make sure you have it primed. If there are air bubbles in the fuel tube going into the carb, it might not fire. Also check the rotostart batterys again, it is a common cause.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:10 PM
The Hedgehog

Ok, I have primed it no air bubbles, and by idel screw being low u mean lean or rish? If anything its a little rich right now if that helps so should I hold off on taking the clutch assembly apart? Lemme know because I have tiime to take it apart, or I'lll just play with the tune.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:14 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Ok, I have primed it no air bubbles, and by idel screw being low u mean lean or rish? If anything its a little rich right now if that helps so should I hold off on taking the clutch assembly apart? Lemme know because I have tiime to take it apart, or I'lll just play with the tune.
The idle screw is for air flow, so if its to low then not enough air is getting in and therefor not enough oxygen to ignite the fuel.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:19 PM
The Hedgehog

Default RE: I have an engine starting problem too!!!

Well if anything I have it up higher than and there should be enough fuel, when I was last tuning it i played with the needle, and turning it to the right raised the rpms left lowered it so I just found the midpoint and it had great throttle response...
Old 12-01-2006, 09:41 PM
SpeedAddict

Look under the exhaust when you use the RotoStart, if fuel comes out, turn it clockwise because that means it's too rich. If you do manage to get it started, do the pinch test. If it dies in under 3 seconds, it's too lean. If it takes more than 5, it's too rich.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:42 AM
The Hedgehog

It takes about 4 ish... I thought I had it set perfectly....

So should I take apart the clutch?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:28 AM
Gravrober

The clutch will not have anything to do with it starting. I would change the glow plug. make sure your adjusting the right needle.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:21 AM
amwhite2005

You would notice a lot bigger problems if the clutch was screwed. My clutch bearings went the other day. If the clutch was messed up, the whole drive terrain would turn when you try to start the engine.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:27 AM
kurtf5

ORIGINAL: amwhite2005

You would notice a lot bigger problems if the clutch was screwed. My clutch bearings went the other day. If the clutch was messed up, the whole drive terrain would turn when you try to start the engine.

Ive read on forums that if that happens while your driving the car, the car is like a runaway and will crash.
Well it happened to my TS4N, and all i did was hit the brakes and the engine stopped, i dont know how anyone could crash tbh.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:37 AM
The Hedgehog

Well the thing is... It is running while the rotostart is turning.... When I remove the rotostart it quits within 1 or 2 seconds, I thought maybe the clutch is not properly engaging or something of that nature as to stall it out right away.

So my tune is good, ngine fairly clean, glow plugs perfect, and It runs during the rotostart but quits very soon after pulling it out.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:40 AM
kurtf5

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Well the thing is... It is running while the rotostart is turning.... When I remove the rotostart it quits within 1 or 2 seconds, I thought maybe the clutch is not properly engaging or something of that nature as to stall it out right away.

So my tune is good, ngine fairly clean, glow plugs perfect, and It runs during the rotostart but quits very soon after pulling it out.
Well when my Savage was fairly new, i had the same "problem".
For me it was just because the car was too cold, try putting it on a box and giving it some throttle while the Rotostart is turning, and give it almost WOT to heat it up.
The other thing which might be causing the problem is the LSN is too rich or the idle is too low.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:43 AM
amwhite2005

Mine seemed to be in the middle of a jump when it happened. I landed and the engine cut out. My slipper was tihgt, so the shock going into the engine of stopped it dead. I think the engine is still good. It seems to run OK.