Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Crystals!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 11:33 AM
SportCrystals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crystals!

With all the new radios on the market that do not require crystals, you would think that the demand for crystals would have gone down the toilet by now. Not so. My company is seeing the best year in crystal sales ever. While I was getting concerned a couple years ago with the Nomadio and Spek came on the market, but it seems these radios have yet to take a bite out of our business. Not sure if it's because the new non-crystals radios are more expensive or if the latency issues are keeping racers to a crystal radio.

Your thoughts?

Pete
Old 12-02-2006, 12:06 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Crystals!

The club that i race at -{ http://www.nnrc.co.uk/ }- has seen a dramatic decrease in the number of crystal radios being used.

The peg board is more or less empty on race days, usually with only a few beginners using "crystal" 27mHz radios - these usually being the stock stuff the vehicles are supplied with. It seems that the majrity are opting for Spectrum and Nomadio products, despite their price.

I'm between the two. I've not switched to Spectrum or Nomadio, but neither am i using crystals - i got myself a 40mHz synth JR XS-3. It does everything i need and i no longer have to worry about crystals. With everyone moving over to broad spectrum wavelengths (?) the 40mHz board is near enough abandoned, so the risk of glitching for me at least is next to nothing.

I own three 27mHz crystal radios which were all included with RTR packages, but these haven't seen a day of use in ages, although they function perfectly.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Nomadio_Sales

With the Nomadio radios the speed + latency is not an issue we are faster then crystal based radios. You may be seeing a growth because of your great prices and really great service you give your coustomers. With Aitronics 2.4Ghz and Futaba 2.4GHz on the market or soon on the market next season may not be as booming.

Plus there are so many synth RF decks now and it is not legal to change the crystal in your transmitter, every one does but crystals are on the way out.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:34 PM
SportCrystals

ORIGINAL: Nomadio_Sales

With the Nomadio radios the speed + latency is not an issue we are faster then crystal based radios. You may be seeing a growth because of your great prices and really great service you give your coustomers. With Aitronics 2.4Ghz and Futaba 2.4GHz on the market or soon on the market next season may not be as booming.

Plus there are so many synth RF decks now and it is not legal to change the crystal in your transmitter, every one does but crystals are on the way out.
Hey Karlton!

Thank you for the kind words. My comment was more geared to the Spek, as feedback I hear is been more pro to your brand. BTW, what drivers have ever really paid attention to FCC rules for their ground radios! It's the flyers that adhere more to that rule than anyone. But as you and I both know, the oscillator circuit in the radio's are segmented from the crystal in output. We are working with one new company that is going to be using our sister company's crystal filters on a unique design, so I guess our business is not dead yet!