Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

I've got gas...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 06:41 PM
reincarnate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've got gas...

Just introduced myself to the world of big gassers. Among many other questions, how large of a starter will I need to turn a Fuji 50? My current starter is a Hobbyco Torqmaster 90. Does this have the cahonies to turn a 50? The motor is in a Pitts Special I just picked up in the RCU marketplace, and like I said , I'm gas-tarded. Start me out here and I'll go for more.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:07 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: I've got gas...

If you are going to use a starter I would get the megatron from tower.

I flip start all my gassers except one.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reincarnate,

I still use a starter on my Brillelli 26cc but everything else is flip start. Everything I have is on EI.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:28 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

you really don't need a starter with gas engines unless you just want one.they are usualy pretty easy to start and don't kick back,just remember to always flip it all the way thru not just a lazy flip they need to get about twoo hundred rpm to fire and that ain't hard to do. you will love gas when you get a better engine hahaha enjoy
Old 12-07-2006, 08:58 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the world of gas motors where there is only cheap fuel, no major after run mess to clean up and where dead stick landings are a thing of the past unless you run out of gas.

Fuji motors ai'nt that good but they ai'nt that bad either. My advice is find someone in your club that flies gas and get some hands on advice, and read everything you can get your hands on about gas .

Karol
Old 12-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An excellent place to start learning gas and to enjoy the transition from glow. Welcome home!! Once you learn how your engine likes to be started you should not need an electric starter, just your hand.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:55 PM
reincarnate

Thanks to all for the advice. The gent I purchased the plane from turns out to be more than willing to impart wisdom and advice. Just like all members on this forum, he is more help than I could ask. Thanks Speedy, and all who took the time to help a newb to gas.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:11 PM
blackbaron
My Feedback: (92)

Forget about using anying other than a belt reduction 24 volt set up to tun over a big engine like that. You can get a spring starter for that engine if it has a magneto setup. You can also have it converted to EI and you can easily flip start it.

One other option and this actually what I use: I have a Ridgid Professional Series 18Volt drill and I chuck a spinner cone into it and I can rip a 62cc over like it was .40 glow engine Plus its cordless and perfectly portable!! I should sell a kit for that.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:31 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: blackbaron

Forget about using anying other than a belt reduction 24 volt set up to tun over a big engine like that. You can get a spring starter for that engine if it has a magneto setup. You can also have it converted to EI and you can easily flip start it.

One other option and this actually what I use: I have a Ridgid Professional Series 18Volt drill and I chuck a spinner cone into it and I can rip a 62cc over like it was .40 glow engine Plus its cordless and perfectly portable!! I should sell a kit for that.

------------

I used to start Q35 Quadras with a standard Sullivan starter (circa 1982). The trick was in using a large enough battery (automobile). The wimpy 7 AH batteries never stood a chance. <G>

After the Q35 engines broke-in, I could start them by hand reliably, but I was young and bull strong in those days. I wouldn't dream of trying to handstart most magneto engines today. Although, Fuji and a few others claim to have increased the size of their magnets in order to facilitate easier hand starting.

These days I buy EI equipped engines. I still have two magneto equipped engines. One is a NIB G23 Zenoah I have "collected" with no intention of using it and the other is one of the last of the Brillelli Toro 25cc conversions. That looked easy to handstart in their video.

Ed Cregger