Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

spit test

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:36 PM
naynay12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spit test

when the drop starts to evaporate in 3-5 secs does this mean the temp is between 200 and 230 fereign hight.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:51 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: spit test

I don't typically spit on the cooling head because if you shoot out a lugi or something, then its going to take longer to evaporate than just saliva. Depending on the engine, it means its at about 220-230 degrees F. But personally, I don't tune engines by temperatures alone. For example, if the engine sounds rich and performs rich, then chances are it is rich. Temperature is great to ensure that the engine isn't about to explode, but it shouldn't be your only deciding factor on tuning. Also, $25 for a infrared temperature guage isn't asking too much.

Also, you don't have to post the same thing four times. It makes people more reluctant to help you. I personally didn't click on the other three threads, but if they are three very closley related questions, then you could just post them all in one thread.

Okay, I just read your other three threads. I don't know what car or truck you have, but generally speaking, if the water boils off in 3-5 seconds, then you are in good range. Any longer and you are too cold, and any shorter and you are too hot. Also, be sure you do this on the top fin of the cooling head and not on the glow plug or the crankcase or something else. As I said before, this is just a generalization. Engines with a higher displacement, more cooling fins and/or larger cooling heads will affect the time it takes the water to boil off. What RC do you have that you are breaking in?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Nitro212

don't what to steal this topic but a question x_x what if it sounds rich but temps are around 160 F or so?

problem might be?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:06 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Whats the air temperature? Humidity? Does it load up after a few seconds of idling? When you punch the throttle after letting it idle, does it cog a little then clear out?
Old 12-09-2006, 02:23 AM
naynay12

hey,i have a vh-x5 buggy 1;10 scale and thinking of breaking it in this week.you have any ideas IBrakeForNobody or anyone else about a good temp for the car cnd any tips and good tuning for this piticular car?Thanks
Old 12-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Fr33ze

ORIGINAL: Nitro212

don't what to steal this topic but a question x_x what if it sounds rich but temps are around 160 F or so?

problem might be?

Its rich... Low temps along with the sound of a flooding engine are the big clues, lol. Your on the right track, just lean the HSN a bit at a time, running it up and down the street after every small adjustment till the sound clears up and temps get between 200 and 240 F.