Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Prop Balancing

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Prop Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 11:00 PM
Jazzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop Balancing

For years I was using fine sandpaper to lighten one side of a prop in order to balance it. Unfortunately, the airfoil usually becomes deformed using this process.
Recently I was given an easy way to balance parkflyer props and now use it to balance all of my props - even the 18 inch chunks of lumber.
Just put a couple of drops of thin CA on the bottom of the light side and squeege it out to the tip with your finger. Kicker can speed the drying process.
Works like a charm and you don't have to re-seal a wood prop because you didn't sand it.

Jazzy
Old 02-09-2002, 11:29 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Prop Balancing

I use a similar method, but use Elmers white glue on the back side of props. It drys fairly quick, dry's clear, and is easy to sand if too much is put on. Same idea as yours really. I too think a little glue is a much better method than sanding.
Old 02-09-2002, 11:42 PM
Jazzy

Default Prop Balancing

Plane Insane,
I wonder if the Elmer's is a little heavier thus speeding the process of balancing a very-out-of-balance prop.
Have you had any problems with it running or softening when it gets wet?
Do you seal it in any way?

Jazzy
Old 02-10-2002, 12:22 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Prop Balancing

Jazzy,

I've used it on props from 8x4 to 12x6, and it is definately heavier than CA. I don't use anything to seal it, and have not noticed any problems with it running or softening. Elmers really isn't a very hard glue to begin with, but it seems to work pretty well for me so far.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:55 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Prop Balancing

I've found that the easiest way is to spray the light blade with a light coat of clear Krylon front and back. It drys fast and you can check for balance in about 10 minutes. I gave up sanding several years ago in favor of Krylon. I only use this on wooden props. Test it on a very small portion (like the hub) before you spray to be sure the solvent doesn't attack the original finish.

Ken
Old 02-10-2002, 09:28 AM
T-ster

Default Prop Balancing

I also use the Krylon clear spray paint on the light blade. Works like a charm!
Old 02-10-2002, 11:47 AM
lownslo

Default Prop Balancing

Those are very good tips.......(no pun intended). I use Graupner props or Master Screw and I am certain that the CA and Krylon will work on them, but not sure about the Elmers. I also like to have a white tip, or both, so the spinning prop shows it's arc a little better. I balance my props useing fuel proof white paint and paint the light tip front and back. Another forum had a post that he used white out. I found this did not hold up even though I used lacquer thinner to prepare surface for application first. Happy landings.......lownslo

Bob
Old 02-10-2002, 02:46 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prop Balancing

Ditto the spray clear, works for me.

Vince
Old 02-10-2002, 09:32 PM
Jazzy

Default Prop Balancing

Painting Tips

I just ask the wifey to check her nail polish basket for white and bright red stuff she doesn't use anymore. Works great when applied quickly and evenly. Good hard stuff and very resistant to the chemicals we use.
Old 02-11-2002, 10:39 AM
lownslo

Default Prop Balancing

Hey there Jazzy........ Well duuuh!!!! Nail polish!!! Why didn't I think of that!!!! Thanks lownslo.... Bob
Old 02-11-2002, 03:01 PM
Jazzy

Default Prop Balancing

Lownslo, I just happened to to be in an 'excited pinch' and needed somethin' fast! Good Golly! It works!
And the price! Woohooo! FREE!!!

(Kind of a 'forehead-smacker' huh?)