Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Cox Pica 1/5 Scale Waco ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Cox Pica 1/5 Scale Waco ARF

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:49 PM
gwulle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox Pica 1/5 Scale Waco ARF

Has anyone received their Waco yet? I received my shipping comformation yesterday and mine is suppose to be in Wednesday. Sure would like for someone to start a assembly thread on this one.

Gaines
Old 12-19-2006, 04:49 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Cox Pica 1/5 Scale Waco ARF

ORIGINAL: gwulle

Has anyone received their Waco yet? I received my shipping comformation yesterday and mine is suppose to be in Wednesday. Sure would like for someone to start a building thread on this one.

Gaines
Gaines,

If it's a building thread that you want, you can find it in the Vintage and Antique forum, under: WACO YMF. It's been there since March. I just completed mene yesterday.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64147.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	579994  
Old 12-19-2006, 08:04 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill, I think he wants an ASSEMBLY thread.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:54 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the Cox WACOs are ARFs.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:19 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Bill,

What a FINE looking model! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 12-19-2006, 09:46 AM
gwulle

Sorry, I guess I used the incorrect terminology. I meant " ASSEMBLY " thread. Stickbuilder, that sure is a fine looking job!! I spent a year building one years ago,back before we had all these fancy radios, and was hit on the maiden flight and totaled it. It almost drove me away from the hobby. I wish I had the time to build another one. It has always been one of my favorites along with the Super Stearman, which I am assembling now from Great Planes. What engine did you put on the Waco?

Gaines
Old 12-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm very interested in this model also. I wonder if it would support the 5-cylinder radials such as the Saito and Magnum? Do a build thread here when you receive yours.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:31 PM
gwulle

Mine is due in tomorrow,according to UPS,and I will unpack and shoot some pic's and get started with the "ASSEMBLY" thread.

Gaines
Old 12-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Stickbuilder

Don't know about the Saito 5 cllinder, but one of the guys in our group in the Vintage and Antique forum has the three cylinder Saito in his. Mine has the OS 160 Gemini in it. This is the 4th one of these that I have built, and all but one wound up with the 160 in it. The one that did not was sold with the Maloney 125 still in it. Hope he did not get it started. It would barely pull the plane into the air.

Guys, I know that you are an ARF thread, but mine is an ARF too. It's almost ready to fly. Just built it myself instead of Joe Nguyen building it in VietNam. You guys are welcome to join us in the WACO Brotherhood. There is only one rule for membership. That is to love the old rag bags. There are no meetings, no dues, and not much else. We bounce ideas off each other.

As the man said, "When the last WACO lands, the air will be just air."

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-19-2006, 09:26 PM
gwulle

Stickbuilder;
I appreciate the invitation and will be sure to drop over to your thread. I enjoy reading it. I didn't want to step on any toes over there since I did not build this one from scratch or a kit. There was a time that I could work all day and come home and put in a few hours in the shop,but not anymore. I'm getting to old for that,but the desire is still there to own and fly these bipes.

Gaines
Old 12-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Stickbuilder

Stickbuilder;
I appreciate the invitation and will be sure to drop over to your thread. I enjoy reading it. I didn't want to step on any toes over there since I did not build this one from scratch or a kit. There was a time that I could work all day and come home and put in a few hours in the shop,but not anymore. I'm getting to old for that,but the desire is still there to own and fly these bipes.

Gaines
Gaines,

We don't care if you built it, bought it or even if you stole it. It's a WACO, so there is only the separation caused by the Weaver Aircraft Company with their alphabet soup of different models. If it's a WACO, you are welcome at our place any time. We might even learn something from the different offerings. Any toes that get stepped on will be the problem of the one that gets his/her feathers ruffled. We are a loose group of WACO Lovers. We are a bunch of olde phartes who love them. So what if yours is an ARF? Several guys are ressurecting old birds that someone else either built or started. Mine is now an ARF. Every model becomes an ARF, then it becomes a RTF, then it becomes an ABF. Don't mean a thing. Come on over, and welcome.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-19-2006, 10:13 PM
gwulle

Bill;
Thanks again for the invite. My Waco should be in tomorrow and I am going to start a assembly thread. My first thought was that I wanted to remove the plastic covering and use a one of the fabrics on the market,probably Solartex since I have three large rolls of red and yellow. I just need to find a scale picture to document it with.

Gaines
Old 12-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Stickbuilder

Do a google search for the WACo Owner's club. There are still tons of these things around, and they are even building new ones. They are marketed as the WACO YMF Classic, and use the same FAA acceptance certificates as the original did. There are lots and lots of photos of the real things there.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Name:	Zx70787.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	580426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15967.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	580427  
Old 12-19-2006, 10:51 PM
gwulle

Bill;
Thanks for the info and the pic's. I haven't been this excited about a plane since I built my last Pica Waco 15 years ago. I'm going over to Google and look around for a while. Thanks !

Gaines

Old 12-20-2006, 05:06 PM
gwulle

Well fellows I received my Waco today and I was told by Jim at Cox Models I wouldn't be disappointed and WAS HE RIGHT !! I just briefly looked through the box and had to go back to the office,but I will tell you this, the plane is covered in Sig Aerocote and it gives the appearence of a high gloss fabric, I have never used it and do not know anything about it. All the surfaces were drum tight and there was not a single wrinkle anywhere. The kit was well packed with no damage that I could see. The instructional manuel is in color and fairly straight forward. Someone building and ARF for the first time might have a little trouble following,but over all, fairly simple. I am going to unpack the plane when I get home and take some pic's and post here early this evening.

Gaines
Old 12-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Stickbuilder

I went out to the shop and opened the box for my next WACO. Looks like about another 9 months of work. I Hate You !!!

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-20-2006, 08:15 PM
gwulle

Well, I'm going to try this again. Bill do you know anything about Sig Aerocoat ? It looks like a very fine weaved frabic. I looked around the net and all I could find was it's a polyester. I have some pic's to upload if I can figure out how to do it. One thing that this bad boy has got it that the cowl comes with a clear two piece template. You spot CA the two halves together and then make all the neccesary openings in the template and then you you seperate the cowl and fit it over the real cowl and then you mark all the openings with no mistakes. Neat idea.

Name:	Sq47281.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	580963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62437.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	580964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82851.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	580965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47691.jpg
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	580966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bn76973.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	580967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23700.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	580968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su34916.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	580969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc98684.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	580970  

Old 12-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Stickbuilder

I have absolutely no experience with Aerokote. I do use nothing but SIG Koverallm and I would suspect that they take the same cloth and run it through the finishing process and add the adhesive. if so, I'm interested in it. My finish on my WACO took about 3 months to complete. I do see that the construction of these two versions of the same airplane and in the same scale are worlds apart (see pics) I wonder how many parts they eliminated. I hope that someone strips one for recovering, and will post the pics.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Name:	Ca80931.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	580971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73125.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	580972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21155.jpg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	580973  
Old 12-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Stickbuilder

One thing that this bad boy has got it that the cowl comes with a clear two piece template. You spot CA the two halves together and then make all the neccesary openings in the template and then you you seperate the cowl and fit it over the real cowl and then you mark all the openings with no mistakes. Neat idea.
My cowl has only 3 small holes in it. Two for the exhaust pipes to exit from, and one for the needle valve extension (that one is only about 3/16" in dia, and the exhaust holes are scale in appearance and are about 1/2" in diameter. I hate to see these cowls cut to pieces, when it's not necessary.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-20-2006, 08:38 PM
gwulle

Any holes in mine will be in the bottom only so the spark plug will clear the cowl. I am using a Brillelli 26cc EI whick is very light for a gasser. Did you have to add any nose weight to your plane. I despise adding dead weight. I will use a heaver engine if I cannot balance it with all the batteries under the cowl. I run redundent switches and batteries on all my planes plus a Smart Fly system.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:42 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that landing gear looks pretty stout. I would like to see how it attaches to the fuse. I used Sig Aerokote a few months back. Very nice stuff to work with but it's not a fabric or weave. It's a shrinkeable film covering much like MonoKote only I felt it was easier to use. I love this plane, I hope the smaller one is built well.
I am willing to bet, just as Stickbuilder stated, that there will be very few similarities between this ARF and the original kit and any comparisons would not be very helpful to someone assembling this plane. I just finished the new Super Skybolt ARF and its quite a bit different, construction wise, from the kit.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:53 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I hope that someone strips one for recovering, and will post the pics.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Stick--- I'll be sure to post the WACO ARF in the bones for you. It will be sometime late Jan or Feb before I order mine, but the Aerokote is coming off, unless I am very surprised by it. I, too have no experience with it, but if a nice fabric it may be worth keeping. I really want a RED WACO, and if I tear off the factory stuff, Koverall/dope will go back on. Where's this WACO Brotherhood, anyway? I'd like to join.

I just saw gnirwin's post; it's definitely coming off.

gwulle---nice photos, thanks. Post some more, as you get more done. I want to figure out the best places to mount stuff like smoke pump, smoke tank, battery packs, etc. Already got my G-26 and Slimline Pitts for it. Hope Santa stuffs my stocking with some pics of Ben Franklin
Old 12-20-2006, 08:54 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GWULLE, tell us more.... What type and quality of hardware? What kind of hinges? Does the plane look to be built straight and true? Come'on I've been waiting for almost a year to see this thing. Your really teasing me.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:09 PM
gwulle

gnirwin;
I took another pic just for you(LOL). Thegear is heavy guage wire covered with fiberglass and it attaches with four plastic pieces,which I am not real fond of, biut the more I think about it, if you should have a rough landing it will snap the plastic strips and not tear the gear out. I will have to think on wheather I will keep it that way or not. Also in the photo you can see all the metal pieces that attach the cabanes and struts are already painted. I have assembled probably a dozen or so ARF's from Great Planes,Sig,Hange and Aeroworks and this one ranks just behind Aeroworks,for a whole lot less. Cox ,so far, has a real winner here..
Old 12-20-2006, 09:12 PM
gwulle

OOPS - I forgot the pic.

Name:	Mk26772.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	580999  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.