Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

dilema on HPI RS4 SS or RTR

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 11:55 PM
wdawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dilema on HPI RS4 SS or RTR

Hi everybody.. I've been reading this board for a week now and finally decided to join the forum since I decided on purchasing
a nitro car. I am very excited about the hobby as I haven't driven a rc car since the hornet and I was 14 then. I've narrowed my decision down to the HPI RS4 3 nitro car since I don't ever plan to race it and my local hobby shop has most parts for it in stock. I'm currently doing a lot of research on nitro cars and finding out more and more information each day. Anyway, my question is what would you guys pick?

the RTR version of the HPI RS4 3 or
the HPI RS4 3 Type SS

My dilema is that with the RTR version I don't get to actually build the car and if anything goes wrong with it, I wouldn't know where to even start to fix it. If I go with the SS version would spending the extra money be worth the speed? Is the SS that much faster than the RTR version? And finally how bad does the remote suck on the RTR version? Would spending my money on the SS and a nicer remote save me money later down the road? What remote would you recommend? I'd rather spend the cash now and not upgrade later down the road but if the RTR version is sufficient and doesn't feel too cheap I would rather save the money.

Thanks in advance and if you have any opinions or suggestions pls post as I am a newbie and can learn from veterans like yourselves.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:05 AM
dagass

wdawg,

I don't personally have any experience with either version of this car however if you pick up the March 2003 copy of "R/C Car" magazine, they have great article on both the Type SS and the RTR.

According to the "experts", the RTR is nothing to get excited over however the Type SS is a 'Huge success". Good luck!
Old 01-30-2003, 02:51 AM
GBIguy
My Feedback: (7)

If your just intrested in piddling around I'd go with the RTR. The controller isn't as bad made out to be. If you break your car it comes with a manual to take it apart and fix. I know the RTR will run 40-50 but I'm not to sure about the SS. You can always upgrade the RTR to do what you want. I personally like JR and their xr3i is a great raido. don't be afraid of either, get the most for what you can afford.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:02 AM
mattymx
My Feedback: (1)

I just got the RS 4 3 RTR and really like it. I handles pretty well and is pretty fast now that I put on my old RC 10 GT pipe. The stock pipe was holding it back I thought, so just out of curiousity, I tried the pipe and was rewarded with much faster top-end speed. Make sure that you really check the screws all the time. They back out all the time. I recommend the RTR if you are not a full-on racer. As far as fixing it when you need to, do not worry about figureing it out. The manual is really good. Break it in properly...... Very important. Good luck bro and let us know what you do.

Matt
Old 01-30-2003, 08:59 AM
KyleSch

If some extra cash and time to build it id go with the SS. THe RTR will go only 30mph but it comes with a controller, its cheaper and already built. The SS will go around 45mph, but doesn't have a controller and it $30 more expensive. If you order an ultimate combo on towerhobbies it actually won't be that expensive. 270 for the car, 40 for the radio then you get 10 dollars off cause its a combo and then you get another $25 off just because its tower hobbies so basically you get a type SS for $275 which is a great deal I think. Actually come to think of it, with the RTR being the same price (can't get a combo cause they is no radio) its going to be 270 - 20 so its $250. I guess if another 25 dollars is worth 15MPH then id say take the SS. It had an upgraded engine which is $150 seperatly, then a 2 speed tranny which is another 80 and then the header which is 15. So if you had an RTR3 and wanted to upgrade it to SS specs it would cost you about $250 hehe.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:54 PM
brainleak

Default SS

I just got into rc myself, i bought the SS inorder to build it. that way when i brake something or crash it, i know how to rip it apart and what goes where. Yeah its gonna cost you a little more, for the remote and reciever servos, some stuff here and there but the knowledge of the car is well worth it. that and you dont look like an ass bringing in a broken car to your local hobby shop. :P
If you have any questions about the car, [email protected]

Brainleak
Old 01-30-2003, 04:48 PM
wdawg

thanks for your replies & suggestions.

I've noticed that all members of RC Universe are very helpful
and a good source on rc cars. I'm glad I found this forum.

I'm with KyleSch and Brainleak.. I feel the added money for the remote and the SS are worth it. I know how it feels like
to purchase cheap quality products since I build & fix computers
for a living. My LHS is selling the SS for $309 and I plan on supporting my LHS even though I know it's more expensive. That way I have someone to run to just in case I get in a jam. My next dilema in my decision is what radio to run? Should I go FM or AM?

One thing I have been reading on is fail safe's.. Can anyone please elaborate how fail safes work & what is needed to run 1?
Do I have to purchase a remote that has a fail safe feature? Or can I simply purchase a fail safe that installs between the throttle servo...

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post. I'm just trying to absorb as much info I can before I purchase the car which is next month..
Old 01-30-2003, 10:24 PM
coolamber

I have an SS that I bought and tricked out, it is a blast...

I put in a sirio .12 motor and I use a futaba 3pk radio with it. The HRS receivers and PCM receivers have fail safe that is programmed to send the servos to a certain position in the event of loss of communication. THe external fail safe units do the same thing, but do not require pcm or hrs. They are programmed on the fail-safe box that is on the vehicle and look for low battery or loss of signal from the radio, then move the servos to a set positio.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:46 AM
eddiedeverell

Any radio will do just fine, AM or FM, alot people say that you should only run FM. If you are just messing around out in the parking lot with a few freinds the AM will do just fine, its when you start running in races or with tons of people that the FM will come in handy. A good one is the JR Pro XR2i, I dont know the exact price, but its not expensive. Its got all the goodies. Thats what I run my Team losi with. And I plan to buy a type SS and will probably take that equipment and put it in there.Just to let you know you can also use a throttle return spring, that will cut your power if you lose radio signals, its like 3 dollars. Good luck to you. ( go with the SS for sure, when your new building the kit gives you confidence that you can fix it after you break it, and trust me you will break something everyone does!!!!! )