Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Am I ready..and for what?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Am I ready..and for what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:19 AM
mlpope
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I ready..and for what?

Looking to step-up to the sweet smell of JetA. Without going through my whole flying career I can highlight some points. I'm a safe pilot and do not take risks with my aircraft. It's been years since I've put one in the ground (I fly couple times @ week).
Hotliners/Pylon-F5B
Large scale warbirds
EDF
IMAC Inter.
Heli.
Yes.... I could go out and buy a rookie, or even a euro-sport. Are these type of aircraft the only options?
What about a JL hawk or a stock FB F-15? I'm not talking about an F-5 or a loaded down F-18, just looking for opinions from folks that have flown some of these aircraft. I would be able to get stick time with a high time instuctor. It seems like the subject of jets has this aura of magic around it, sort of like heli's had in the early days. The extra safety factor can't be compared to other areas of the sport, but is the skill required to fly anything other that a DV8R left to the guys with nerves of steel and a 100+ of jet hours? Are there some compromise aircraft out there that have some scale appeal and are reasonably flyable. Just looking for something I won't be listing on RCU in the next 6mos. becuse I've outgrown it (done that too many times in the past).

If there is a good thread on this already, please let me know. We need a "Beginner/intermediate/Advance" rating (as it applies to turbine aircraft) on offerings from manufacturers. Saying they're all tough is not helpfull, and most likely inaccurate.
Thanks for your imput,
Mike
Sarasota, FL
Old 01-15-2007, 12:15 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Am I ready..and for what?

composite ARF has a nice mig 15 that would be both user friendly as well as a scale bird.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:19 PM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

TAM's F-16 is much easier to fly than a Rookie or similer. Cost is reasonable, and with a P-60, Bee, or even a P-70 you will have a blast. Bob
Old 01-15-2007, 12:38 PM
icepilot

Skymaster F-15 is a very smooth, easy plane to fly. I started my jet career with a SpiderJets F-16 which was great in the air, however the landings were a big challenge to me. Now I fly the F15 and my shoulders are much lower - take-offs, flying and landings are easy, predictable and fun! I have a Simjet 3000 installed (30 pounds of thrust) - but it will fly with much less and is a joy to assemble.

Link to my maiden here:

http://www.av-art.no/filer/modellfly

Good luck!

Tor
Old 01-15-2007, 12:43 PM
jeff sewell
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

It's just a propulsion system and with your flying history i don't think you would have any problems with any jet.

Jeff

Old 01-15-2007, 01:11 PM
mlpope
My Feedback: (8)

Thank guys, that's just the kind of information I'm looking for.
Mike
Old 01-15-2007, 01:42 PM
JetsRC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any of this would be an excelent choice for starters, F-15, F-16, Hawk, L-39. I personally fly the F-16 1/8 and it is an awesome flyer, very easy... Also it is very fun to fly as it is very aerobatic and can perfrom extremelly well with a 14lbs turbine like the Super Bee.

Here is a video of mine in the maiden day.
http://www.jetsrc.com/videos/F-16_18_JetsRC.wmv

Michel
Old 01-15-2007, 01:57 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

but what about grass guys?
Old 01-15-2007, 02:05 PM
JetsRC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest same list, but more power in some cases, depending on the lenght of the runway.
The F-16 could be more dificult to handdle in a grass runways due to its narrow landing gear, but I have seen guys fly F-16 in grass runways many times.

Michel
Old 01-15-2007, 03:13 PM
FlyUtah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a fan of scale aircraft but for my first turbine I chose a Hot Spot and I am glad I did. Get a simple airplane to learn the systems (how to install and operate them) get familiar with flying a turbine, and then step up to something more scale that can use the same engine as your first bird.

My next plane was a BVM MiG-15 and I can't stop saying good things about it. It's a dream to fly and work on.

The "starter" plane helps also with the nerves because you won't have as much tied up in it and it will be easier to fix if something goes wrong.

Have fun!!
Mark West
Salt Lake City, Utah
Fly NIFA
Old 01-15-2007, 04:11 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TamJet composite F-16 with a P-60 or 70 would be a great intro combo. Flys nice and slow fo landings and really hauls the mail when you want it to.... Tam A4 flys awesome as well..... Good luck...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95632.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	598721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41376.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	598722  
Old 01-15-2007, 05:40 PM
P. Richards
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget the Viper it flys very good and stable I think Tam still sells them. P-70 to P-120 size turbine works great...

P. Richards aka Swat Team
Old 01-15-2007, 06:09 PM
G.VITTINI

Mike, I think you are more than ready for the jet of your choise..

enjoy, George
Old 01-15-2007, 07:43 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

The fact that you have large warbird experience I think is the most relevant. One of the hardest things to learn in flying jets is the added weight and carrying throttle all the way to the ground. Heavy airplane experience is the best teacher in this regard.

If you want your first bird to be scale, go with an F15. It is more forgiving than the 18s and 16s and is a better crosswind bird when you are first learning turbines. The Avonds, Yellow and Skymaster F15s are all great choices.

There are many good choices if you want a sport jet. My recommendation would be a Lightning. Flies great, cost is reasonable, good short field performance, great in adverse weather. Looks like a scale plane too.

As others have said, flying the turbines isn't that much of a change. It does put a premium on your maintenance habits, however, as a careless screw up in the equipment area can have significant financial consequences.

Good luck!