Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Balsa Storage Please Help

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Balsa Storage Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 11:56 AM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa Storage Please Help

After years in the hobby I have much balsa in plank form and much scrap. How can i stor this stuff in a very small utility room. I now have it in old kit boxes and some in a garbage can outside the door. I want it more organized as I cannot find what I want when I want it.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Balsa Storage Please Help

I hope you find out something good, as that is exactly how mine is stored.[]
Old 01-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Dr1Driver

I store my long sticks upright in old mailing tubes. Cut the tubes to different lengths to make different length sticks accessible. I use 30" and 20". Anything shorter than that, I toss, unless it's a special shape, like tri stock. Store sheets flat in boxes labeled according to thickness. Anything less than 12" long, I also toss. Special shapes, like trailing edges, can go in a tube or box. Plywood goes in a separate box, all together, unless there's a lot of it, then separate it by thickness. I cull out my supply every 6 months or so. Be mercenary, throw away anything the looks the slightest bit unusuable.

Dr.1
Old 01-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

I designed a storage rack into my work bench when I built it. Long stuff goes in the rack, short stuff gets thrown into a drawer. Some of the blocks have been in the drawer for years, just can't throw them away! Here's a link to the build http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_42...tm.htm#4234233
Tony Hallo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16161.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	600967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69137.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	600968  
Old 01-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you store it in I would be sure it's laid flat and not standing on end. I have many sheets of marine grade plywood from 1/16" to 1/4" laid flat on a piece of 1/2" building grade plywood and it stays flat. Balsa strips, the same way. I've seen plywood and balsa strips in the LHS that are stored on end and they make good hockey sticks.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Newc

What's with the garbage cans? I have all of mine in old kit boxes, labeled as "Plywood", "Full/Large Balsa" and "Small Balsa". Boxes are on a shelf (in previous shop they were supported between ceiling rafters) Three boxes - even of the largest kits - don't take much room and they're easy to access.