Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

best way to check incidence w/meter

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

best way to check incidence w/meter

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 03:33 AM
santi
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to check incidence w/meter

first time i had to use one of these. What are some of the ways to check your wings and stabs. Does the plane have to be level? With the tail up? if so, where do you check to level your plane?
Share with me some techniques.

Thanks,
Santi
Old 02-04-2003, 04:28 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I normally place the wing ends and the fuse bottom on stools or blocks. I use the horiz stab as the datum. I zero the meter there, and proceed to measure the wing AOA and washout/washin.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:06 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot depends on the model, but is usually easier to modify the stab seat than the wing saddle. So usually, I put the meter on the wing, then prop up the tail until the meter reads "Zero". Then put the stab on and check it, adjust the seat if needed, then epoxy the stab on while constantly checking the incidence, as well as the stab's relation to the fuse and wing.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:10 AM
santi
My Feedback: (32)

I am checking the incidence on my dp330l. I am checking the stabilizer/elevators. I'm trying to figure out were to place a leveler so i can get the plane to be level horizontally. Or do i not need to do that? Please somebody help me as i don't know what I'm doing . once i get the thing level the the incidence part will be a cinch. Thanks a million everybody who is helping me out on this....

Oh, BTW the DP330L has an adjustible incidence adjustment on the stabilizers

Santi
Old 02-05-2003, 08:08 AM
rorywquin

Don't know what you plane looks like - but in the past I have clamped a block of wood on the datum line and placed my level on the block.

Any flat surface that is parallel to the datum line can be used.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:32 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

When checking incidence.... I place my plane into a cradle that allows you to secure the fuse and adjust it so that the fuse datum line is level. This is critical.... all measurements should be made off a level datum line. With the fuse secure check the wing and adjust as required(for any final minor wing adjustments I like West Systems Epoxy and microballons when making the wing saddle). The stab incidence should/must be set at the correct incidence on the building board from the level datum line since this is usually glued and no adjustment is possible. With the plane secured in the cradle it is also possible to check the engine thrust line. I use two Robarts incidence meters to check the wing. First inboard to check for proper incidence... then both wingtips to check if washout(if any) is correct/same on both wings. Planes that fly off the board requiring very little trim are no accident. Best of luck