Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

stop fluid filter leaks

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

stop fluid filter leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:06 PM
GoNavy
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stop fluid filter leaks

Found the source of the smoke fluid leak inside the plane: The in line filters (ala DuBro, Hayes, etc) had slightly unscrewed during line installation.

Solution: 3/8 inch shrink tubing. Needs to be slightly expanded to fit. You do that with a long nose pliers inserted inside the piece, spreading the handles to stretch the shrink tubing. Place it around the filter before it returns to original size. Then heat shrink it.

When you need to clean the filter, remove the tubing.

I do this on filters in the fuel line to the engine if they might be hitting metal from vibration.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:24 AM
alan0899

Default RE: stop fluid filter leaks

G'day Mate,
Why do you filter smoke fluid?
It goes through the pump gets heated & turns into smoke & then out to atmosphere, do you need the filter?
Old 02-04-2007, 04:08 AM
kd7oir

Shrink tubing makes good hose clamps too. Easy to remove and looks better than the wire ones. Just don't use it on something like inside your tank where you need positive clamping power. Use the good stuf, not the stuf you get at radio shack. It's to thin to do any good. The thicker the shrink tubing the more clamping forse.
Shawn
Old 02-04-2007, 11:24 AM
GoNavy

I filter the smoke fluid because:

1. The pump instructions tell me to
2. My tubing to the heater is 3/32 inch id or larger while my preheating coils are 1/16 id; crud which might pass through the pump might not pass into the muffler
3. I need to connect sections of tubing in any case and use of the filters handles that.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:26 AM
GoNavy

Yes. I picked up a lifetime supply of the heavy shrink tubing on ebay. It is clear, not black.