Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Spring Starter on G-62

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:30 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spring Starter on G-62

Tryed to start a new G-62 today with a spring starter mounted on the back. Not sure how this works. After a few half turns backward and release, not a POP. Then I tryed a full turn backwards and I think the spring didn't catch or ?? and now I can turn the motor backwards a couple of turns with no problem. Do I need to dismount the motor and tighten the nut in back?? Should the B&B spring starter spin the motor past the compression stroke?? It never did!

Is there less radio interference with cdi ignition?
Thanks
Jim
Old 02-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spring Starter on G-62

There are 2 types of spring starter..On is a hardened sleeve held on the crank with a nut, the other is larger and screws on the crank, has 2 flats on the end of the sleeve for a wrench..
Either will spin the engine past compression...Sounds like you have the one with the nut...It will need to be tightened, but you could put some Loctite on the taper before you tighten the nut....Normal rotation tightens the other type on the crank, but it it was loose maybe it spun off....