Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

starting up an old engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 11:12 PM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting up an old engine

giev me some advise on starting up an engine that has been shelved for about 2 years? Should i do anythign to it before it give it a shot? It ran fine whe i set it away, and i did not use any after run. Should i take it apart and lube it up and put it back together? What would you do?
Old 02-12-2003, 05:57 AM
eddiedeverell

It must be an old engine, I would suggest to tear it down, check out everything, and while you have it tore down, rebuild it.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:05 AM
packfan88

its a torq .12 what you mean rebuild? clean and reinstall pieces or buy new guts? if so what pieces?
Old 02-12-2003, 06:50 AM
eddiedeverell

well how many gallons does the engine have through it
Old 02-12-2003, 06:55 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

If it feels stiff to try and turn the crank....with the glow plug removed....then it's possible that it may be gummed up inside.

If it feels somewhat easy to turn the crank....with the glow plug out....then I would use some Marvel Mystery oil.....and with the glow plug out....I would squirt several drops or more into the cylinder....and turn the crank...if it's a pull start....then I would pull the rope many times to help work the oil into the nooks and cranny's. I would also squirt some oil into the carb and do the same thing. Add several drops through the carb and pull the rope easily to work the oil and help coat the internals. Then....I would let it set for a couple of hours with the oil inside. When enough time has passed....turn the engine upside down and let the oil work it's way out. Try and remove as much of it as you can by gently pulling on the pull starter. Once it's emptied....then put a "NEW GLOW PLUG" in and using a freshly charged glow igniter....and fresh fuel.....and good fuel lines.....and fuel tank....try starting it.

If it will not start....and your sure your carb needles are set correctly.....then I would think about tearing it apart.

Also...be sure that the fuel nipple going into the carb is open and free of any gum blockage....due to old fuel that may have turned to varnish.

Good Luck!
Old 02-12-2003, 04:52 PM
packfan88

on tearing it apart lets say i wanted to take it apart to perform a rebuild. When doin g a rebuild what does that require as far as new parts? What signs should on parts i look for to determine if it needs replacement? It only had about 20-25 tanks of fuel run through it.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:10 PM
Krusty

Packfan.
From what you have said, there is no need to rebuild (or even take apart) that engine. Before you even "turn it over", make sure it is well lubricated. Put a few drops of MMO in the plug hole and down the carb. Let it set for a while. Without installing the plug, turn it over a few times by hand. If it seems stiff, add a few more drops and let it set overnight. After that, it should turn over freely by hand. Install the plug and begin your starting procedure. I used that procedure on an engine that was sitting for over 20 years!!! The engine starts easily and runs well, with a twenty year old plug! The secret is, I used (and still do) fuel that has some castor oil in it. Castor coats and protects the engine's internals.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:48 AM
packfan88

thanks krusty ... what fuel you use?
Old 02-13-2003, 01:12 AM
Krusty

Originally posted by packfan88
thanks krusty ... what fuel you use?
I'm presently using an airplane fuel called YS 20/20. Just about all fuel manufacturers produce it. It is a fuel that consists of 20% nitro and 20% synthetic. To that I add about 2 ounces of castor oil (per gallon). The fuel costs about $15.00 per gallon. I run it in my planes as well as my cars. I have not experienced any negative issues with this combo. I have also used 15% nitro with 18% oil (containing some castor) airplane fuel. Again without any negative effects.