Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Help me identify this Edge 540 (maybe Aeroworks)

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Help me identify this Edge 540 (maybe Aeroworks)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:04 PM
scriptt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me identify this Edge 540 (maybe Aeroworks)

I recently purchased a used edge 540, the gentleman that sold it to me claimed it was an Aeroworks ¼ scale kit build. He claimed that he only flew it a few times because it was too fast for him. The plane looks new, so it’s hard for me to tell how old it might be.

I cant find a ¼ scale Edge 540 in the Aeroworks catalogue, so im wandering is someone here can help me identify what exactly it is so I can maybe locate a manual. Here are the dimensions:

Fus length = 60”
WS = 72”

The plane has a Super tigre 2500 in it, that also looks rather new, (or unused). The gentleman said he only flew it a couple times and then got scared of it so I guess it just sat in his garage, which makes it hard to tell the age of the plane.

I am looking for a plane to practice 3d in, mainly hovering.

It has a super tigre 2500 turning a 16X10 APC prop, it weighs 12 lbs, dry. On the rudder he has Two Hitec HS-42588 (one for each side), on the rudder he has a Hitec HS-60588.

I cant find any information about these servos either, im trying to figure out if they have enough torque to do 3d, and if they do I need to figure out if I can hook a 6v cell up to them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	030707_14001.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	2239703
Click image for larger version

Name:	030707_14011.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	2239704

I picket it up RTR for $350 minus a TX, it has a Hitec 8 or 9ch RX.

I dont know what it's worth, How'd i come out?
Old 03-07-2007, 08:38 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT

Default RE: Help me identify this Edge 540 (maybe Aeroworks)

I believe that is one of the old Aeroworks 1.20 Edges. They were great flying planes. My friend built one probably 7 or 8 years ago and we had a ball with it. Those 425 servos may be a little on the weak side for this aircraft. They are just standard torque nylon gear sport servos intended for .40 size planes.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:18 PM
scriptt

So does anyone know if the Super tigre 2500 will hover this plane? at 12 lbs dry weight? I’m thinking, if I replace the stabilizer servos with digital hi torque, and run it at 6v it should be a decent 3D plane.

I just don’t know about the motor. And it would also help if any one knows what high rate throws would be on this thing? I don’t have a manual or anything.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:23 PM
AHPowelson
My Feedback: (37)

Looks like an old Pacific Aeromodels Edge.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:27 PM
SeanCowan

It's a Aeroworks 25% Edge 540 with the ould Million Air. Should fly very well!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:11 AM
FishMan
My Feedback: (17)

Yep, older Aeroworks Edge 540 1/4 scale kit. Excallent flyer. Very precise. Not a 3D machine, but excells at IMAC/precision flying.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The AW 25% kit has foam sheeted wings, turtledeck and front hatch. Flies very well for precision aerobtaics--IMAC. Not so good for 3D. It was designed before 3D really had much of a following in the hobby, so that wasn't a consideration when it was originally designed.

12 pounds is a little porky. Mine was 10.75 pounds. There's no way for you to pull that much weight out of the plane now. It is what it is. Even if you switched to a lighter engine, you'd just end up being tail heavy and having to re-work a bunch of stuff to balance it. Not worth the effort.

Put 60--70oz torque servos on each elevator and go fly it. Only one way to see if it has enough power--go fly it.

That ST 2500 is a strong engine. If it's really only had a couple tanks through it, you'll want to keep that high speed needle rich. It takes time for the rod bushings to seat and break in. Keep it rich for a gallon or you'll seize that bushing and mess up your motor. Tune it for max RPM--just for a split second-- and then back it off about 1/4 turn.

The engine should turn a 17-6 or a 17-8 prop AFTER it's broke in. Let it spin that 16-10 prop for break in. It's not a lot of load and you want the engine to be able to spin freely while it breaks in. Put the big prop on it AFTER a couple gallons.

Run that engine on LOW NITRO. 5% or 0% That engine was made in Italy where nitro is really expensive. It was designed to run on 0% or 5% at most. It has VERY HIGH compression. Compression + high nitro = dead engine. I always ran Omega 5% in my big Super Tigre engines. The oil content is 17%. ST recommends 10% or 12% after break in. More oil makes more compression, so with the 17% oil--you'll want to run a couple head shims to prevent detonation and pre-ignition. It's a lot easier to slap a couple head shims in there and run it---than it is to find ST fuel. Thats the way it is around here. You might find ST fuel around where you live--but if you can't, it's okay. Don't waste a lot of time and energy trying to find ST fuel. If you can get it--great. If you can't--then just use any fuel with 5% or less and some castor oil in the fuel. Omega is 30% castor and 70% synthetic. I wouldn't run 100% synthetic through that engine, but thats just me.

Go fly it. You got a darn good deal for $350.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:07 PM
FishMan
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: scriptt

On the rudder he has Two Hitec HS-42588 (one for each side), on the rudder he has a Hitec HS-60588.

I cant find any information about these servos either, im trying to figure out if they have enough torque to do 3d, and if they do I need to figure out if I can hook a 6v cell up to them.

You read the #`s on the srevo`s wrong. Here are the correct #`s and specs. The 605`s are ok for this bird, but get those 425`s off of there asap. The 425 is marginal for sport flying .40 size planes at best. I would only run a 425 on the throttle on anything bigger than a .40 size airplane. Both will run at 6Volts.

Hitec HS-605BB

Click here for a full profile

Class: High Torque
Digital: No
Programmable: No
Voltage: 4.8v or 6.0v
General Specs:
- Bearings: Dual BB
- Gears: Plastic
- 60° speed: .17 sec @ 4.8v
- 60° speed: .13 sec @ 6.0v
- Torque: 76.00 oz/in @ 4.8v
- Torque: 94.00 oz/in @ 6.0v
-- 1.60 x.80x1.60 inches
- 1.70 ounces

Applications:
- Standard Helicopter
- CCPM Helicopter
- Competition Helicopter
- Competition Sailplane
- Competition Airplanes
- High Torque
- Pattern/Aerobatics
- Off-Road Car
- On-Road Car
- Standard Sailplane
- Standard Airplane

Hitec HS-425BB

Click here for a full profile

Class: Standard BB
Digital: No
Programmable: No
Voltage: 4.8v or 6.0v
General Specs:
- Bearings: Dual BB
- Gears: Plastic
- 60° speed: .21 sec @ 4.8v
- 60° speed: .16 sec @ 6.0v
- Torque: 46.00 oz/in @ 4.8v
- Torque: 57.00 oz/in @ 6.0v
-- 1.60 x.80x1.40 inches
- 1.60 ounces

Applications:
- Large Electric Aircraft
- Standard Helicopter
- Off-Road Car
- On-Road Car
- Power Boat
- Standard Sailplane
- Standard Airplane

Old 03-16-2007, 04:51 PM
scriptt

This is great thank you for all of the help with this airplane.

Does anyone by chance know where the CG would be on this bird? After I replace the rx and battery, and after I put new servos in it I would like to re-balance it.

Thanks in advance

-Scriptt-
Old 03-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Balance it right in the middle of the wing tube.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:52 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

That also looks like the old lanier edge, before the yellow one. they called it a 540T but it was only a single seat canopy.