Fuji 64

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 11:18 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fuji 64

All,
I just bought a Fuji 64 to put in a GP Pitts.Any tips,comments,suggestions or observations would be appreceated.Thanks in advance!
Erik
Old 02-13-2003, 12:10 AM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuji 64

Wow! You really need to look at the RCU threads on the GP Pitts using gas engines if you haven't already. Much info on RCU, and a GP has several tech updates when using gas. I bought the same combo, but with the Fuji 50. I will be very interested to hear about how well your 64 fits with the engine mounting box on the fuselage. I had to find a 64 prop hub extender to fit my 50 so that I could get the engine to fit in the cowling. The 64 and the 50 fly wheel are the same size, but the stock prop hub on the 64 is shorter than the short optional hub for the 50. I read two thread where guys removed the mounting box, but I didn't remove mine out of CG concerns. You may have to remove it with the 64.

Just measure everything before you get too far along to make sure all fits. Mine is now almost complete. Really wanting to get it up in the air. You should enjoy putting this one together. The directions are great. Just read and follow closely. Make special effort to reinforce for strength for this size gas engine.

Have fun and good luck.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:21 AM
Erik R

Default Fuji 64

Roger,
Thanks.Actually,a friend put it together for me,and I'm pretty sure it's almost ready.He said the kit had the wing mods,and he added a plywood doubler on the firewall.I've read many of the threads on the Pitts,and many on the Fuji 50,But I was hoping someone was running a 64,and had some insight.I've read that Fuji's can be hard starting,so I'm wondering if the 64 is cranky also.I've got a spring starter in there,and if it gives me too much trouble,I'll just get a megatron,as that seems to have worked for others.Meantime,I'm just waitjng for a little thaw.Thanks,
Erik
Old 03-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Chillybee
My Feedback: (3)

Default Fuji 64

Erik R,

I have the 64 in my Lazer 2000, but haven't had the chance to start it yet since I haven't completed the plane. I'm thinking about mounting it out of the plane to break it in. A guy who sold them at the WRAM show told me he has no problems starting his at all. I'll have to see and will let you know.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:19 AM
Erik R

Default Fuji 64

Roger,
The engine fit bone stock with a 1/4" doubler on the firewall.The plane balances without any extra weight,and I have a TME smoker in it.This thing is awesome.I haven't had a chance to run it yet,but I am stoked.
Chillybee,
I have it in my possession,and am very excited about the combo.I'll post some info as I break it in and then fly it.
Erik
Old 03-11-2003, 05:23 AM
bn120
My Feedback: (1)

Default Fuji 64

a guy at our club put a bme 102 twin on his yeh can you say holly crap the vertical is just as fast as level flight.

Darin
Old 03-11-2003, 02:51 PM
Erik R

Default Fuji 64

BME 102!!!
Holy crap!!! How many pieces blow off each flight? Seriously,that's awesome,because some people have made me feel like the Fuji was too much motor.I can't wait for a break in the weather!!
Old 03-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Daniel Ramsey

Default Fuji 64

Put a big enough engine on even a brick and it will fly....
Old 03-12-2003, 01:18 AM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

Default Response to Erik R

Congratulations and hope this works well for you. I used the the 64 prop hub on my 50 and it fit perfectly. This was the solution to the stock hub that came with the 50. Way too long. I was surprised that you were able to fit this engine on the mounting box. I would have thought it too big after mounting the 50. As it is, my engine head has very little clearance with the cowling. Maybe it's just the way I mounted mine with what i had to work with. It did fit neatly in place after changing the prop hub. Good luck with the finished product. Let us know how it goes. By the way, there is good discussion on tuning, oil selection and mixture ratios under Giant engines on RCU. Helping me work through some kinks with fouling plugs and starting problems. I have read many threads about magneto vs electronic ignition. I bit the bullet an ordered a megatron starter after wearing myself out flipping the 50. This all may be related to carb settings and oil mixture, Jury is out, but will update as I learn. If carb settings and oil are the problems then I have to say my kinks are operated related and not the engine. We'll see
Old 03-12-2003, 02:22 AM
Erik R

Default Fuji 64

Roger,
The head sticks out the bottom of the cowling a little,(I cut it out) but it's not obtrusive.I figure it will help cooling.I have the spring starter,and that worked wll with the G-62,so I'll try it on this.I start a 5 day trip tomorrow,so I'll start the break-in process early next week,and post my thoughts.Take care.
Erik