Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Heliacoil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 12:28 AM
Moonunit451

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heliacoil?

OK boys, dumn***** here. I overheated my TT .15 the other day, up to about 350 or so for a while. Great going, huh? I went to start it today and it didn't want to start, so, I pulled out the plug and checked to see if it lit. It seemed ok, so I put it back in. Not! It stripped the head :surprised . Then I noticed that the plug showed signs of extreme heat (discoloration).

I'm wondering if it can be heliacoiled. Remember, I'm broke. Could the heat have weakened the Aluminum enough to cause this, or did I just F-up? I have taken the head off. The sleeve came with it. I can post a photo if yo can tell anything by looking at the sleeve if it's damaged. After I cleaned the stuff up I put the sleeve back in. Not real tight at the pinch, but it will push up some. Doesn't feel any different than the other motor with the plug out though.

What to do? Also, if I need to replace the head, whats the best one to get for heat dissipation. Thanks.

burnt plug
http://forus.com/moonunit/Glow%20Plugs1.JPG
http://forus.com/moonunit/Glow%20Plugs2.JPG
Old 02-13-2003, 05:48 AM
Moonunit451

Default Heliacoil?

Whatayou, a bunch of F-ing preeeeeeks?
Maybe I'm not good enough to be on this forum and ask a question? 10 hits in 4-5 hrs and no suggesstions . Maybe if I spice up my language like Bomex I can get a response :surprised !
Old 02-13-2003, 07:03 AM
buyrbware
My Feedback: (2)

Default Moon

Relax,
Remember I"m just an airplane guy so my advise will probably be wrong and get me in trouble again, but I will attempt to help anyway! First things first, I doubt the stripped plug was the resualt of aluminum fatigue. i would say it was caused by you attempting to put the plug back in. The sleeve coming out with the head is no problem. ASP, GMS and alot of other engines the sleeve at break in kinda welds it self to the head. As far as the helicoil goes, I looked at my motor this evening, its only about two to three threads thick, I don't think mine would accept a helicoil. Is it feesable, Yes try it a helicoil will seal without a compression change. Before you helicoil it I would recommend trying to tap the threads out same diameter, If the theads are unrecoverable then yes by all means a helicoil will work. Now be ready if you tap or helicoil and it is still loose go with a twin-sert. You will drill to the oversize nominal then step it back with the second cert.

If I can help fell free to e-mail me.

Tom
rc-flyer
Old 02-13-2003, 07:10 AM
buyrbware

Default Sleeve

Oh yah, if memory serves me right, the sleeve has an intake side and exhaust side make sure you get those right.

tom
Old 02-13-2003, 07:12 AM
eddiedeverell

Default Heliacoil?

moonunit, what is a preeeeeeek?
Old 02-13-2003, 07:19 AM
buyrbware

Default Heliacoil?

A preeeeeeeeeeeeek, eddie