Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Speed?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 04:32 PM
danitolaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed?????

Hello everyone,

Last Sunday was disappointing due to "everything went wrong".Flooded engine,fouled spark plug and last the clutch bearing was stuck. Well al those issues were taken care off this week and I just got back from the lake with a grin on my face. I still have to adjust the needles a bit and also play with the exhaust. I thought I was going to get better speeds out if my boat but 39.7 was the best I could do. Also the boat was bouncing off the water more than usual. As always I appriciate you help and I try out almost all of the tips provided by you guys. Thanks in Advance.

Danny
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57405.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	640151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31569.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	640152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84281.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	640153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73401.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	640154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep86121.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	640155  
Old 03-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Speed?????

39mph from a Gator is not bad. It is a sport boat and will certainly be a little slower than some other boats running similar motor/drive configs.

In the pic I see her bouncing off the water but I see plenty of waves. No boat is going to be as quick in the rough as on a calm pond.

Once you have her trimmed and tuned a little better you may find a little more speed. Another prop may add a little to it. Dont be so concerned about the GPS speeds though and have some fun
Old 03-11-2007, 04:50 PM
danitolaboy

thanks
Old 03-11-2007, 04:53 PM
danitolaboy

The prop I'm using is a Prather 275. It has been lighted and balanced. What other prop could I use? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:15 PM
crazyotto
My Feedback: (2)

i think it looks like it is haven some fun out there , be happy im sitting here looking out my window and watchin ice melt , my boats arent going nowhere fast
Old 03-11-2007, 06:22 PM
danitolaboy

sorry to hear that. I'm not complaining but I would like to get some more speed out of it. How's the drifter xl?
Old 03-11-2007, 08:57 PM
yeeharacing

gathering dust

Like he said we are waiting for ice to melt.. LOL
Old 03-11-2007, 09:04 PM
danitolaboy

Man sorry to hear that. Hey the local lake here is big enough for everybody
Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

if its a brass 275, take a pair of pliars and bend the last 1/4 inch of the tip just a hair. It helped mine gain an extra 2 mph & that was with the stock setup. The teeth will gouge the prop a little so be careful.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:03 PM
danitolaboy

Thanks for the reply. I just got off the phone with some buddies that run in Miami and their gators are doing 48 and 50mph with the same set up??????? Does anybody have a gator out there that fast?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:57 PM
45deepvee

what drive are you running? also where do you have your trim tabs set. if you want to keep the nose down to stop the bouncing set the down a bit, will lowed the nose when underway and stop bouncing. also depending on your drive setup, im not sure which one your running.

my stinger i can trim up and down the lock it in, this can also lower the nose if the prop is set down more, it will keep the nose down in the water. if you get the nose down more this will help stability.

im runnign a octura x482 prop i balanced, lightened, and sharpened myself along with polishing it. i dotn have speeds yet but it was very stable up top. once i get my steering figured out.

post what drive your runnign and where you have your trim tabs set. first time i ran my boat was in rougher water also and it bounced a lot. try it on a smoother day and see what it does
Old 03-12-2007, 10:09 PM
danitolaboy

The Super G features XP-2 Surface Drive system. Also the trims are set to the neutral position. The prop angle I have it set as leveled as posible. Props I have 2 one is the stock prather 275 that came with the boat and the one I used yesterday is another prather 275 lightened,sharpened and balanced. With the new prop if you hit the throttle hard from take off it leaps out of the water with the other one it was more of a proggressive take off. By the way your boat sounds real cool.

Name:	Ge94616.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	641164  
Old 03-12-2007, 10:36 PM
45deepvee

your prop sits right abotu where mine does. that should be fine where it is. once you get the nose to stay in the water it will make a world of difference, you just dont want the nose to swim on you. that will hurt you more.

set the trim tabs down a little at a time until your happy with the way the boat rides in the water. your drive is under the water enough, mine sits in about the same spot.

try setting the trim tabs down more, keep the sharpened and balanced prop on there. see how much of a difference that will make. also mess with the carb a bit more and get the needles perfect. that will make a difference also.

i dotn have my tabs down much at all, but mine are pretty much flush with the bottom of the boat, so i dont have to adjust mien as much.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:42 PM
danitolaboy

Thanks alot[sm=thumbup.gif].I'll try it tomorow if I can make it to the pond on time afterwork.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:44 PM
45deepvee

np just remember adjust the slightly each time, dont go overboard and crank them down as the nose will swim. you just want the nose to ride along but not dive into the water.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:35 AM
Doubledog

You can work with the boat all you want to get it to go fast but the question is will it stay on the water? Your friends have boats running 48 & 50? I don't doubt it, but ask them how stable it is at those speeds. She's like a kite ready to go "poof" and blow over backwards. When setup for it, mine would run 47 but it was squirrly as can be and extremely unpredictable. I worked with it for years doing tricks, blue printing the bottom, engines, props, everything but swapping out the drive. Could lower the tabs and adjust some weight around & it would run consistant 42-43 in race trim. Mine got threw up on the bank more than once, slammed in the side, ran over, numerous repairs and paint jobs.

What it boiled down to is that boat provided the most enjoyment of all. I still say that is one of the best starter boats on the market and with the heavier RC230 aircooled Zen, is a perfect match more so than the lighter 260 PUM.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:26 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try a prather 280 prop too the bigger prop might help top end speed ,i know a guy over here swapped from the 275 to the 280 in offshore racing and said the speed was much better.probably slower off the mark but once going the boat was faster.i think id alter the angle of your prop a bit too maybe a tad down angle ,from what your saying it sounds like you have the prop slightly up which would account for it taking off like that .from what ive read on that boat though its a sports boat so its not about all out speed its about having fun,sports boats arent designed to go that fast anyway, i agree with the last post 40 mph is enough if you want to be able to controll it and stay upright .
Old 03-13-2007, 08:07 AM
danitolaboy

Thanks guys for all the info. I'm planning on going to the pond today after work and play with it some more.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:02 AM
45deepvee

octura x482 is comparable to those props also, as the prather props are going to get tricky to find now that prather went out of buisness. ill see fi i can get a vid this weekend of my boat going.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:19 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also if you try the octura x 482 check out sonicracing,s thread on how he modded the prop and improved the performance quite a bit .also watch some cool videos of his boat here with the modded prop.
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5543114/tm.htm[/link]
Old 03-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Doubledog

ORIGINAL: 45deepvee

as the prather props are going to get tricky to find now that prather went out of buisness.

I doubt that will be the case for quite some time.

Most all props can benefit from a little modding. Can't say as I've ever seen a bone stock Prather run as fast or perform as well as others, (same for Octura). They're a great play prop and provide decent around performance and can be used in most applications... cat/mono.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:19 PM
danitolaboy

Hey everyone I'm back from the pond and this time it was better but still think I have some tunning to do.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:21 PM
45deepvee

did it hop as much? how did the boat handle in the water.

also why do you say yo have tuning to do
Old 03-13-2007, 08:23 PM
danitolaboy

I think I got the trim almost perfect but the carb still needs to be tuned. It idles perfect but from mid to high it bogs and the picks up like crazy?

Name:	Ig11294.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	641751  
Old 03-13-2007, 08:28 PM
45deepvee

seems to have picked up in speed. if the hull is pretty good for your likings then leave it at that.

mine bogs from mid range to top end also. not to bad btu it does exactly what yours is doing

it needs fine tuning of the carb. just keep trying either high end or low end, and stick with whichever one helps the most. basically all im doing. just have to find the right spot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.