Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Hydro-aspiration?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Hydro-aspiration?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:22 AM
htlo1r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydro-aspiration?

I was just wondering if anyone with a water cooled motor is using some sort of water aspiration to cycle water through their motor more rapidly?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Hydro-aspiration?

You talking about a Water Pump ??

Not sure I have heard of a water "aspiration"

Plenty of boats using water pumps - just about everyboat running a clutch has one.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Flabum

Actually, you don't want the water to flow through the engine too rapidly, you will wind up actually overheating the engine. If the water flows too swiftly through the engine, it will not allow good heat transfer thereby overheating the engine. We have seen this a lot in full scale boats where people remove the thermostats from their eninge.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:09 AM
htlo1r

Hydroaspiration is when water is passed through a tube at a high rate of speed, if a hole is placed at a ninty digree agle into the tube that the water is passing through it creates a tremendous sucktion. What my idea was to make a turn fin on my 1/8 scale hydro with a reverse waterpickup port in the lower part of it. As the fin goes through the water it would create a sucktion that could cycle more water through the boat..... I do understand about the water being passed through the boat to rapidly it will not cool it, how ever the rate of flow can be slowed down with different size hoses, couldn't it? Just exploring a new idea that I have not heard of....
Old 03-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: htlo1r

Hydroaspiration is when water is passed through a tube at a high rate of speed, if a hole is placed at a ninty digree agle into the tube that the water is passing through it creates a tremendous sucktion. What my idea was to make a turn fin on my 1/8 scale hydro with a reverse waterpickup port in the lower part of it. As the fin goes through the water it would create a sucktion that could cycle more water through the boat..... I do understand about the water being passed through the boat to rapidly it will not cool it, how ever the rate of flow can be slowed down with different size hoses, couldn't it? Just exploring a new idea that I have not heard of....
You could use a adjustable valve inline so you could dial in the flow better. This is what im doing as i run in the winter when the water is cold, and doesnt allow the engine to come up to temp.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No reason not to try it but personally I would rather pressure feed than suction drawn.

Pressure feed does not create much in the way of drag and is pretty reliable.

sucking water through the system would still a water pickup though wouldnt it ?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:35 AM
htlo1r

Yes, thats an idea.... what valve to you use, and where do I find one... have any pictures....? are you using a aspiration type setup?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:38 AM
htlo1r

I would be pressure feeding and suction feeding at the same time, that is why there would be so much water being cycled through the engine and components.... A larger tube after the head would slow the water down before being sucked out....
Old 03-14-2007, 11:48 AM
glennb2006

One negative to this system is that in the event you get debris or whatever obstruction into the cooling system and lose flow, you will not know about it until the engine overheats and stops. With the more conventional pressure systems, the flow is visible by the discharge of spent cooling water overboard.

Glenn
Old 03-14-2007, 12:04 PM
htlo1r

Glenn, you are right! does anyone have an idea about that.... ?
Old 03-14-2007, 03:20 PM
gofast53

I may be getting the wrong end of the stick...but sounds to me like you are complicating a simple process which already works!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:04 PM
htlo1r

yes, gofast you are probably right. I just wanted to explore the possiblities of getting more water through the motor to cool it down even more. Super cooling + super high octane + ceramic coatings= more hp..... That is all I really wanted to know. I was unaware of the water going through the motor too fast and not able to cool the motor, until I started this tread. I will reframe from starting stupid threads from now on.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:12 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only stupid question is the one NOT asked,I'm relatively new to the r\c boating scene,(8mo.),and I ,as well as others learn from these not so stupid threads...
Old 03-17-2007, 01:52 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

I just wanted to explore the possiblities of getting more water through the motor to cool it down even more. Super cooling + super high octane + ceramic coatings= more hp
Not true ... these engines DO require to get up to a certain temp , otherwise they bog and use more fuel and do NOT produce the ponies or R's as they would when up to temp .
( same goes for any engine , whether 2 or 4 stroker . )
Old 03-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: htlo1r

Yes, thats an idea.... what valve to you use, and where do I find one... have any pictures....? are you using a aspiration type setup?
any kind of air/water valve adjuster that will still flow the same volume of water when completely open. I havent found one that i like yet, but am still searching. Right now im just using a T-fitting with a screw...not the best but works fine.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:37 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would'nt a 3rd channel mixture control valve work,....[:-]
Old 03-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: mopartybob

would'nt a 3rd channel mixture control valve work,....[:-]

sure, would even be cool to have on the fly control.....IF ya wanna spend that kind of money
Old 03-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Flabum

ORIGINAL: Believe It

any kind of air/water valve adjuster that will still flow the same volume of water when completely open. I havent found one that i like yet, but am still searching. Right now im just using a T-fitting with a screw...not the best but works fine.

Wharehouse Hobbies has a inline fuel valve that would work: http://www.easycart.net/whobbies/Fuel_Systems.html (second item)