Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

IV bag question

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

IV bag question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 10:06 PM
tmt32mj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IV bag question

I'm trying to convert my fleet to IV bag and not sure of what I need. I already have the gas pump, IV bag(both 1 and 2 outlets). I guess my question is as far as filling equipment goes, what do I need? Any input? A link or a diagram would be great. Thanks in advance guys
Old 03-15-2007, 11:27 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IV bag question

I'm trying to convert my fleet
Your fleet ?
kinda curious as to what you classify a fleet to be in size ?

Anyway ... no really sure what you mean by what you need ?
I already have the gas pump, IV bag(both 1 and 2 outlets). I guess my question is as far as filling equipment goes, what do I need?
What else you want ? You get fancy and get one of the $25.00 fillers that are supposed to represent the real deal ( but , IMO are butt ugly )
or , you get one of those quick fill connects , like the ones they use on nitro ( but , of course - for gas ) although a lot of folks say they clog too easily ( never had that problem myself )
or you could be cheap , get yourself a TEE connector , fit it inline between your carb and IV and have the remaining 3rd connection go to a stopper that when removed , will allow you to FILL 'ER UP from your pump .
Old 03-16-2007, 12:11 AM
tmt32mj

Terbobob,
Thanks for the reply. I guess by "my fleet", I mean a cat, 3 mono, 2 hydro. All has Zenoah 260 in them by the way. I looked at AmericanRCBoat website and it's kinda confusing to me what's all their fueling equipment are for. I'm pretty new at this by the way hence the newbie question.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:43 AM
John Howell

I use the two line bags. One line to the carb with a filter and the other line has a stopper in which is removed to fill.

To fill, all I have is a short bit of brass tube pushed into the tube on my pump and i just insert this into the stopper line and pump. Nice and simple.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:53 AM
Zac Price

TMT,
Sorry for the confusion I try and carry all desired peices and parts. This is the simple way:

And with a through hull filler:

Set up like this:

With a pump you are set, the rest of the parts and peices are options. If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:35 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Pics sure do tell a story WAY better than mere words . ( good pics there Zac )
And if you use the 2 hole IV bags , simply use the second hole , simply add one length of fuel line going from your RETURN side of your carb ( if you have one on it ) and then straight into the IV bag .
Using the TEE also allows you to "burp" the IV bag and get rid of any air pockets that might be in there . ( burp = pressing down with your hand on the IV bag after its filled up and having the third opening in the TEE open so that the air can escape , leaving none in the IV bag . Just remember to put your stopper back in the open TEE opening when done
Old 03-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Believe It
Banned

i just disconnect the feedline at the filter and fill from there, crimp over line after burping air pocket out and connect back to the line on carb.. walla, ready to run.

MAKE SURE you try to get all the airpockets out of the bag before running. Tilt the boat straight up on its nose (if the bag cant be taken out with motor in) and push on the back to get the air out, or just reverse pump it to pull the air out. Air pockets will drive you nuts in the bags. I'll never use a hardtank again after using bags...wish i could get one for my nitro boat too.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:35 PM
wayneuk01

looks like a pi$$ bag u see people with in hospital's..lol
Old 03-17-2007, 08:57 PM
chuck731

Who sells the IV bags.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:49 PM
tmt32mj

Chuck, Zac has the IV bag on his website. [link]http://www.americanrcboats.com/products/hardware/fuelingparts.htm[/link].
Thank you all for the advice.
Zac, I will be putting in my order soon when I figure out how much of the parts that I need. Thank you.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:18 PM
skoda450

Gentilmen,
I too use IV bags and have found that the "T" filler connection creates problems when the bag is full and you want to disconnect the pump. The pressure from the bag squirts gas everywhere until you get the plug back in the tube. Unless you are in a situation that you don't mind raw gas squirted out of the boat, I find this a problem. I use the Dubro filler valve with great sucess. Yes, theyare more expensive than a plastic "T", but you can hide the valve in the boat and never spill a drop.

If anyone knows of a one way, gas compatable, valve that could be used in the stem of the "T" that would solve the problem but I haven't been able to locate one.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:56 PM
45deepvee

i have this size bad setup in my deep vee. i just pull the one hose off the carb and fill it that way. works good.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

ORIGINAL: skoda450
The pressure from the bag squirts gas everywhere until you get the plug back in the tube. Unless you are in a situation that you don't mind raw gas squirted out of the boat, I find this a problem.
Skoda, I've heard that a set of hemostats (small clamping needle-nose pliars) works good. I'm getting ready to give it a try in the next month or two and have the T' system. One can only hope it works or I'll be moving over to the Fueling system too.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Zac Price

Before I pull the plug, I pinch the fuel line off then when filling, I make sure I don’t overfill. I have not had any issues but a set of hemostats could be used as a safety precaution. The Dubro Kwik fills work to but they also have down sides. I use the T and a plug, the simpler the better is my preference.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Doubledog

Zac, you say you pinch... Wouldn't the hemostats do the same thing or are you talking about bending the tube over and litterally pinching it off like a garden hose?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: PHCM

Zac, you say you pinch... Wouldn't the hemostats do the same thing or are you talking about bending the tube over and litterally pinching it off like a garden hose?
thats what i do (granted i dont use a T fitting). Have no problems with fuel squirting out and no air pockets finding their way into the bag in the process.

Only time i get any kind of fuel squirtage is if im 'burping' the air out and a little fuel comes out, but thats how i like it anyway so i know its pushing fuel out cause there aint no air
Old 03-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Zac Price

I pinch or if its a bit cold out I may fold over. The burping is easy, lift the back of the boat up and reverse direction of the pump.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: Zac Price

I pinch or if its a bit cold out I may fold over. The burping is easy, lift the back of the boat up and reverse direction of the pump.
im usually by myself so holding it up and trying to pull the air out is a little tricky. Easier to just fold it over then grab the line on the carb and reconnect
Old 03-20-2007, 02:24 AM
Doubledog

nice.[8D]
Old 03-21-2007, 02:39 AM
fastguy
Banned

i use i v bags i get them for free at the vets (use only baxter brand bags others i have not tried )
Old 03-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Baboon48

This might be a dumb question, but what exactly is an IV bag used for / what purpose does it serve? I am just getting into gas.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: Baboon48

This might be a dumb question, but what exactly is an IV bag used for / what purpose does it serve? I am just getting into gas.
well... in the world that they are actually used, they are just that... IV bags. When ya in the hospitol and ya got that bag with the tube going into your arm, thats the bag.

Now we are using them to put gas in. Purpose pretty much cause they can be placed where hard tanks cant (in my mono its under my motor to keep CG close whether full or not), dont have to vent them, dont have to worry about water getting in if flipped, etc.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Baboon48

Funny.

Thanks, I was wondering why people used them in their boats. There isnt enough heat from the engine to melt the bag?
Old 03-23-2007, 06:19 AM
Zac Price

Not much heat from the bottom of the engine. I place part of my bag under the engine to hold in place and keeps the fuel close to the CG. Like Beileve it said, most of the bags you will see out there have at one time been hooked up to a person or animal or at least had a medical fluid in it. The only NEW true IV bags on the market are the ones I sell.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: Baboon48

Funny.

Thanks, I was wondering why people used them in their boats. There isnt enough heat from the engine to melt the bag?

From what i read it the crankcase actually acts as a heatsink or something. If the crankcase is getting hot enough to melt the bag there is some serious issues with that motor [X(] lol.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23500.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	648196