Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

slow stick upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:33 AM
LOCKMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow stick upgrade

RECENTLY DURNG A UNUSUALLY GREAT DAY IN THE WINTER, I MANAGED TO BURN OUT MY STOCK MOTOR ON MY SLO STICK. A TRIP TO THE LOCAL HOBBY STORE LEFT ME CONFUSED. AFTER DECIDING TO GO BRUSHLESS AND LIPO, I WAS AT $300.00 AND NOBODY WAS SURE THAT IT WOULD GET OFF THE GROUND WITH OUT SMOKING SOMETHING. ALL THEY TALKED ABOUT WAS FIRE, AND HOW COOL IT WOULD LOOK WITH MY STICK COMING IN FOR A LANDING ON FIRE. [:@] LIKE MOST PEOPLE HAVE ADDED STYROFOAM SHEETS TO THE BOTTOM OF THE WING. IT NOW WEIGHS 16.2 OUNCES WITH 7.2V NIMH. I ASK FOR HELP!!!!!!
1. WHAT MOTOR CAN BE USED WITH EXISTING GEAR SET UP.
2. WHAT MOTOR CAN BE USED DIRECT DRIVE.
3. IF DIRECT DRIVE WHAT PROP SIZE.
4. LIPO AND BRUSHLESS ESC SIZE.
THANKS FOR ANY INFO
LOCKMAN
Old 03-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: slow stick upgrade

Where are you planning on purchasing your motor? Hobby Shop or online?

Do you have a budget?

You can't really beat one of these for price in your application:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...97&pid=V878623

ESC:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...92&pid=V063046

Prop would be a 12x6

Batteries: Either would work. Lighter is always better, but you may want the extra capacity for longer flights:
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...products_id=69
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...products_id=72

You'll need to solder connectors to these. If you want a plug and play system, you may want to check out Eflite motors/ESC's.

You can put an inrunner into your existing gearbox. It's easiest if the diameter of the motor is the same as the one you're replacing. If not, adaptors exist. I'd start looking at something like the Himaxx 2025-4200. The gear that fits onto the motor shaft has to be the same size, though, so the gears mesh properly.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:43 PM
garyparnell

A easy and inexpensive retro fit is an Eflite park 400 outrunner and Eflite 25 amp pro esc. at my lhs this will set you back about $100.00. A 1320mah thunder power lipo and charger another $125.00. Batterys can be found a lot cheaper, and chargers (mine is an Eflite celectra3) can be had at a better price too. this setup will bring a smile to your face. My Stik will take off in about 4 ft. and duration is around 25 min. at a little more than half throttle. It is everybit as heavy as yours, so give it a try.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:53 AM
Solid Hit

You can convert to brushless for under $40. Contact Paul at [email protected] (414-232-6232). He is know as Darkside212 on the forums. I've been dealing with Paul for quite a while and he has a lot of the import motors and gear for great prices.

I've been flying 3 SS with his gear for about a year without a problem. I have one setup as a trainer for someone who wants to learn, I have one as an AP platform, and one as a flying boat.

Tell Paul that Bill, (Solid Hit) recommended you. He has special prices that are not always on his web site.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Lockman, I would run, not walk from that hobby shop. They obviously, from what you wrote, have no idea what's going on. The little Tower Pro out runners and esc's are great combos for a SS. Many places sell them rebranded with their names, like Balsa Products.
I picked up a set on a combo deal from www.aarchobby.com 2410-9Y motor and 30 amp esc for under $30.00. It spins a 12x6 GWS prop with ease, and is more then enough thrust and speed wise. As for a pack you are looking roughly $65.00 for a Thunder Power 3S2100 lipo, and you can find other brands cheaper, like the Common Sense line. A charger like the Astro 109 is a great charger for lipos right around $100.00, and it's pretty much dummy prove. Add their "Blinky" balancer for around $25.00, and your cells will stay balanced, and you'll get better performance and longer flights.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Robosteve2002

Hey Guys, an easy and durable outrunner motor mount for SS can be built in 30 minutes or less from lightweight 2x2 aluminum from local HW store. Flexes/bends on hard landings and protects motor, prop and fuse. Cost is minimal, couple of bucks. Mine works great and I highly recommend it. Been using it for over a month now.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:08 PM
LOCKMAN

Hey time pilot. thanks for the info. have purchase the items you recommended. one problem exist, the brushless motor i purchased goes the wrong direction. any ideas on how to reverse the direction of the motor? thanks again for the info all the equipment works great.[8D]

lockman
Old 04-02-2007, 07:42 PM
kydeer7301
My Feedback: (2)

to reverse the rotation of the prop on a brushless motor simply pick any 2 wires running between the ESC and motor and swap them.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM
trevormatney

Hey Lockman, switch any two of the three wires to reverse the motors rotation on a brushless motor. Good Luck!
Trevor
Old 04-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LOCKMAN

Hey time pilot. thanks for the info. have purchase the items you recommended. one problem exist, the brushless motor i purchased goes the wrong direction. any ideas on how to reverse the direction of the motor? thanks again for the info all the equipment works great.[8D]

lockman
Oh, oh.[sm=red_smile.gif]

In my post I said 12x8 prop. That isn't correct. The prop that goes with that motor is a 12x6.

Please check for a PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 PM
LOCKMAN

Many thanks for all the input. Instead of dropping $300.00 at the local hobby store thats more geared for cars than planes.[&o] I was also able to purchase a brushless motor, esc, and battery for my 40inch mini slinger. I really like the charger from www.raidentech.com. Simple efficient with a balancer built-in. All the gear is quality equipment and assembled easily. www.bphobbies.com, www.commonsenserc.com, www.aarchhobby.com, and [email protected] were great. I came in at about $200.00. A $100.00 savings.
Thanks to all who responded
lockman