Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

TROUBLE SHOOTING NEW SAVAGE X

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:41 PM
inkman411

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TROUBLE SHOOTING NEW SAVAGE X

WELL I JUST GOT A NEW SAVAGE X A FEW DAYS AGO AND ALL WAS WELL UNTIL SUNDAY. AFTER BREAKIN, AND TUNING IT WAS TIME FOR THE FUN STUFF. I RAN THE X THRU 3 TO 4 TANKS OF FUEL W\ NO PROBLEMS, BUT THEN I NOTICED WHAT SEEMED TO BE ONLY THE FRONT WHEELS GETTING POWER. WHEN THE TRUCK WAS IDLING I THOUGHT I HEARD A CLANGING WHICH INDICATED TO ME POSSIBLE CLUTCH ISSUE, HOWEVER WHEN I TURNED IT OFF, WITH THE BOTH BACK WHEELS ON THE GROUND AND TURNING BOTH FRONT WHEELS IT ACTED LIKE A CHAIN SKIPPING ON A WORN SPROCKET. SPUR GEAR IS GOOD AS WELL AS GEAR ON THE MOTOR. I THINK IT MAY TRANSMISSION BUT NOT SURE WHERE TO START. ANY THOUGHTS ON WHERE TO START, OR SOMEONE W\ SAME PROBLEMS PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:48 PM
bb942

Default RE: TROUBLE SHOOTING NEW SAVAGE X

im new to nitro but it might be your rear diff. but i could be wrong. good luck
Old 03-19-2007, 02:54 PM
inkman411

THE REAR DIFF IS ALSO ON MY LIST OF POSSIBILITIES, JUST NOT SURE WHICH IS THE WEAKEST LINK BETWEEN THE DIFFS, TRANSMISSION, AND THE CLUTCH.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:06 PM
bb942

well diffs are prolly the easiest to check, dont have to take the truck completely apart. i doubt its the tranny.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:15 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: bb942

well diffs are prolly the easiest to check, dont have to take the truck completely apart. i doubt its the tranny.
^^ +1 ^^

and please turn your caps loc off. All caps is considered shouting on the internet.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:22 PM
maxxdout

im gettin a savage x for my b-day on the 27th. I hope this doesnt happen to me!! i was told it was better then the tmaxx's. anyway, id check the rear diff. that went in my emaxx.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:27 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: maxxdout

im gettin a savage x for my b-day on the 27th. I hope this doesnt happen to me!! i was told it was better then the tmaxx's. anyway, id check the rear diff. that went in my emaxx.
Stuff happens on every truck. I've had just as many problems with my Savage (the diffs were the first thing to break) as with my LST or T-Maxx. Different people will, of course, have different experences but don't expect that one truck will be better than another just because of the brand or model. Heck, there are even a few people that never had a problem with the Warhead, hard as that is to believe...
Old 03-19-2007, 03:28 PM
bb942

if your new to nitro(like me) u might not know that if your bashing and your going off a jump or something and landing with the throtle still open its a good way to mess up your diffs.just an fyi if u didnt know
Old 03-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Vigilante212

Turn your truck over and rotate tour spur gear. does the driveshaft coming out the back of the gearbox move? If it does it means there is something wrong in your rear diff, most likly a broken gear.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:11 PM
inkman411

well for starters, sorry about the cap. letters in my previous posts. theres no yelling going on yet (with the truck that is), any ways just got home from surfing and read everyones ideas. I 'am going to get started and check the rear diff first, that was one of my suspicions all along, but wanted some additional input on the matter since i've been out of the hobby for quite some time. thanks for input and i'll post my findings. by the way just gotta say the savage x is one bad %@*!#? of a monster truck!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:39 PM
inkman411

well just finished pulling rear diff. assembly apart and listen to this, all four bevel gears damaged. two had only slightly damaged teeth, however one had just snapped apart, and the other chunked 2teeth.

thanks for all the info, ended up being the first thing i checked which vigilante212 and bb942 had suggested. does anyone know if there is another bevel gear setup made a little more sturdy, just curious .

One last thing, i do know when jumping etc... not to land with throttle, but I guess i'll figure it out soon enough.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:46 PM
jcam54

here you go dude

http://www.smfstore.com/product_info...oducts_id=1606

has diffs already shimmed I think and the updated alum. caseing not a bad price.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:08 PM
inkman411

I checked the site, diff looks really sturdy and tempting. thanks for the info.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:11 PM
jcam54

Bruce at smf is simply awsome and will take care of you with fast shiping and great customer sevice...I buy alot from his store because of this!
Old 03-19-2007, 11:37 PM
paintstikker

I bet it is your diffs, but I don't know cause I have never had trouble with mine (XSS)