Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Will PPG Clear Coat Eat Model Paint?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Will PPG Clear Coat Eat Model Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:43 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will PPG Clear Coat Eat Model Paint?

I build wood RC Boats. They usually get two or three coats of clear epoxy resin to start. Then colors are put on. Epoxy paint is expensive, and custom colors such as metallics are non-existent, plus I don't dare put epoxy paint through my delicate airbrush.

If I used regular model colors (Testors Model Master Enamels) and airbrush my designs and colors, then spray clear coat over that with automotive eurathane or whatever PPG is or the like, will it eat up my color coats or bead up on the epoxy if I wanted to keep certain areas clear?

Old 03-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Will PPG Clear Coat Eat Model Paint?

I normally use automotive finishing systems on my model planes. I do stick whth whatever I start with. If I use DuPont primer, I use DuPont base and clear. If I''m going to use PPG products, I use PPG products throughout the finishing process. Mixing products is a surefire way to come up with a paint problem. Even when you use the same manufacturers product, there is no guarentee that you will not run into problems in finishing the model. The chances are just reduced. I suppose that you could do a trial project, and paint some scrap. I think that you would be well advised to check with a full scale boat shop, and find out what they use.

Normally, you can paint enamel over lacquer, but not the other way around. Epoxies can sometimes be painted over enamels, but not over lacquers due to the thermal cooking-off of the paint and catylizer (too much heat is generated). I would think that urethanes would be somewhat like enamels, but I don't know for sure. Again, you should do a test to find out.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 03-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have used the PPG "Flexed and Flat" clear coat on an F-86 that I had painted in camouflage colors using testors Model Master flat enamels. I had great results because I followed someone else's advice to spray only very light coats of the clear and use multiple coats to build up the clear.

Since that worked out so well I painted another plane with the Model Master paint and used the same clear coat. I made the mistake of getting a small area a bit too wet with the clearcoat and it caused the paint to crinkle up a little bit. On the areas where I was careful to use only light coats without getting it too wet, I got the same great results that I did on the F-86.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:41 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most urethanes can be used over any other type paints. The old caveat still applies, though. Try out a test piece before you dive into applying any type of paint over another not of the same type.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:15 AM
ginsco75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this site http://autoaircolors.com/ I havent tried it yet but from what I read this stuff sounds pretty good and its not to expensive.