Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Decathlon Covering Question

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Decathlon Covering Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 03:05 AM
DUHAWK49
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decathlon Covering Question

WELL IM TO THE POINT WHERE I STARTED COVERING MY SUPER DECATHLON. STARTED USING 21ST CENTURY FABRIC BUT FOUND IT DIDNT STICK VERY WELL EVEN AFTER I USED BALSARITE. IM GOING TO LEAVE THE BOTTOM COVERED WITH IT BUT DECIDED TO COVER THE REST OF THE PLANE WITH SOLARTEX FABRIC COVERING. MY QUESTION IS, IS THIS A BIT EASIER TO USE OVER THE 21ST CENTURY FABRIC? ANY HELPFUL HINTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I HAVE SOME ADHESIVE AND BALSARITE I CAN STILL USE BUT IM HOPING IT WONT BE NECESSARY. I HEARD THAT THIS ALSO NEED POLYURETHANE PAINTED OVER THE COVERING AFTER ITS APPLIED TO HELP ON CLEAN UP. ANY INFO ON THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED AS IM ONLY USED TO USING MONOKOTE. I HOPE TO HAVE IT ALL COMPLETED TO FLY BT SPRING. HOPEFULLY IT ALL WORK OUT RIGHT.

THANKS
Old 02-16-2003, 02:01 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I love solartex. Sticks great, goes around wing tips with no problem, even nacells on twins. Takes paint very well. I use only white and paint what I want. I'm currently recovering my GP SD 40. I havent used 21st Century Coverite but if you had problems, I would strip it off and redo it. Last thing you want is problems later on. The solartex will stick good.
Edwin
Old 02-16-2003, 02:35 PM
Mooney231DX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For what it is worth

Hi DUHAWK49,

I too was going to use some kind of fabric to cover my Decathlon. Until, I got up close and personal with one! The finish on the full-scale Decath is more like plastic film than fabric! It may be cloth, but after the paint it looks like full-scale Monokote!

So in the name of saving weight I have decided to use film. (Whenever I can get to it! )

I NEVER planned on using film when I started the project, but after seeing one...

Not making a recommendation, just my observation...

Ladd

I have more pics if you're interested.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	55709_3895.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	34791  
Old 06-17-2003, 06:53 PM
beavertail

I noticed the same thing, but wanted to use fabric.
I am probably going to use the film, Are you going to use the starburst pattern on the plane, If so, What are you going to use for it??
Mine is going to be a dynaflite.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:24 AM
Bass1

Default 21ST Century Fabric

Hey Duhawk ! I just finished A Bud Nosen Citabria with 21st Century Fabric and if you used Balsarite and stick with the suggested temperature settings you should have no problem except for the seams which seal nicely with Minwax Wipe-On Poly. See pictures in my photo gallery.. Bass 1
Old 06-19-2003, 04:07 AM
Newflee

Hi guys.,
I have covered and recovered several times my almost 20 year old Nosen citabria, and have tried 21 C and supercoverite. IMO the 21st is really crap. It doesn't stick well, doesn't shrink well, doesn't seem to hold it's shrink, and is expensive.
Supercoverite is my recommendation of the two but I will be covering my 33% decathlon with coverall and dope.
Plastic films have no place on these birds IMO.

Lee
Old 06-19-2003, 02:18 PM
Bruiser-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Covering

Ladd was correct when he wrote that the covering on these aircraft looks very much like a plastic iron-on film rather than a fabric. I don't know the process American Champion uses, but it comes out very smooth and shiney. There is no way I know of that you can get that finish using cloth on a model without adding a lot of wieght.

I imagine that if you are modelling an older Decathlon produced by Champion or Bellanca, then maybe cloth would actually be more scale-like...

JMHO,
-Bob George
Old 06-19-2003, 06:35 PM
Ray44
My Feedback: (4)

I’ve gathered needed supplies and will finally get to start my
Decathlon this weekend.

I was planning on using 21st Century when I get to cover it.
So many negative comments makes me wonder if I should start
looking at the plastic films.

Truth be told I’ve never covered any model before so it’ll be a new
experience.
Many many winters ago I agreed to assist my CFI recovering a
Stearman. He promised to get me some air time in
the Stearman, he did……….I got about 50 mins as I recall. Fifty mins
for probably 50/60 hrs. Guess flying always been expensive.
Ray