Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Gas Engine Ignition noise and Spektrum

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas Engine Ignition noise and Spektrum

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:38 PM
jbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas Engine Ignition noise and Spektrum

Thought I'd post this in the engine forum since it has to do with Gas Motors and their ignitions. I moved all my planes over to Spektrum this Winter and I had this 4*120 with a Evo 26GT which due to space limitations had the ignition and reciever battery and throttle servo very close to oneanother. My Futaba PCM receiver kept getting glitches which caused the rudder and throttle to blip making the plane unsafe to fly. I installed my Spektrum receiver in this plane without changing anything else and it works like a charm, glitches are gone. Thought I"d pass along the news about this new technology to other interested pilots. Thanks, Jerry.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:32 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gas Engine Ignition noise and Spektrum

Hi Jerry,

Please understand I am well aware of the room, or lack thereof, on the 4*120. I would have used RF filters on the throttle servo wire and battery wire as well, heck on all wires. That's what I did flying a single conversion JR700 on mine, that solved that problem. I would still use them on the Spektrum.

I can attest to a plug coming loose on a Brison 3.2 with the plane (not the 4*) on the Spektrum system and the receivers could not overcome the RF. It was not loose enough to stop the engine from running but loose enough to cause glitching. The ground strap for the ignition was clamped to the plug tight enough to allow a very very slight turn of the plug but enough RF was produced to make the flight rather interesting. There was easily 14 inches of separation of everything between the ignition and receiver with the RF filters installed.

My point is the Spektrum system is good but it too can get overcome given enough RF. I recommend still following good RF practices
Old 03-26-2007, 02:41 PM
jbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love your signature. Something I say to myself everytime I walk into the LHS!
Old 03-26-2007, 02:50 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

I never pay attention to it.

I said to my adult daughters back early last December I was not going to buy anymore new planes this year and they just laughed at me, then they bought me a Compa-Arf 3.0M Extra 260 for Christmas, then Wildhare got his 33% shipments of the Edge540 in and I just ordered the 35% Sukhoi he has coming next month [X(][]

the real problem is they are getting bigger and now I have to buy a trailer....can you tell I've got it bad
Old 03-26-2007, 03:56 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

I never pay attention to it.
the real problem is they are getting bigger and now I have to buy a trailer....can you tell I've got it bad
]
Make sure the trailer is at least 2ft longer than you think you need.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Jezmo

Hey Terry, I thought there was no such thing as "enough" or "too much" power; it just gets hard to carry the extra weight that goes with it. I always bolt on the maximum size engine I can carry......

Have a great day.[8D]
Old 03-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: bubbagates
....can you tell I've got it bad
Oh yeah. It's called "all ate up" Your all ate up with airplanes.