Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Radio and servo suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Radio and servo suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 03:39 PM
fowlmood77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio and servo suggestions

I (like a few others I have seen recently here) am attempting to build a 48" woody with a Homelite engine. After lurking in a few sites and learning as much as I can, I still have questions. 1-What are the differences between the AM and FM controllers? 2-What kind of torque do I need to be looking for for the steering and throttle servos? Will a basic servo work for the throttle and a high torque work for steering? I am sure I will have more questions as this build goes on and I believe I am in good hands here. Yes I am a newbie
Old 04-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Flabum

Default RE: Radio and servo suggestions

The difference between AM and FM is price and signal reliability. Am is cheaper, but the FM has a clearer, more reliable signal.

A standard servo will be fine for the throttle, a futaba S3303 or similar will work. The steering servo should b a heavy duty servo preferably with ball bearings and metal gears as well as be high torque for not only ability but logevity. I reccomend a 1/4 scale servo such as a Futaba 5301 or similar, if room does not allow such a big servo, then a Futaba 3305 at 6 volts will do. The 3305 is half the torque of the 5301, you will be putting far less stress on the 1/4 servo so it will last longer. You will need a y-connector to hook the steering servo straight to the battery.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:11 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi your best going with fm than am as for servos you will need a normal one for throttle and a high torque one for the rudder you can use a 1/4 servo for the rudder or as i did use a normal size high torque one.you will need arround 12 kg of torque or more wont hurt mines actually 15 kg ,you will also need a 6 volt pack to power them through your rx.also make sure the servo has metal gears unlike some cheap ones. seems flabum beat me to it lol but same apllies,although i have my doubts the y harness actually works any better than running the battery to the rx.i know some say it does but i dont see how it could to be honest?.maybe someone can explain to me how using a y harness makes any diff to the voltage?.ive used both ways and havent seen any diff between to two ways to be honest.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:06 PM
patriktegelberg

I am sorry I can not resist to once again show my radio box. Take no notice, this is about fowlmoods radio not mine. This box is not long term tested and I am certifiable nuts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87324.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	670067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26632.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	670068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71063.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	670069  
Old 04-22-2007, 06:09 PM
martno1fan

Naa your not nuts Pat just missunderstood lol
Old 04-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Flabum

Mart, using a y-harness on the steering servo does two things:

1) It take the amperage of the servo direct from the battery rather than passing it through the reciever.

2) It prevents voltage drop in the radio due to the higher amperage the servo draws.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:48 PM
martno1fan

hi mate i dont get that how does that work both the servo and battery are plugged to the harness then the harness to the rx how does the power go direct to the servo surely the power goes to the rx first i just dont get it.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Flabum

I hate hi-jacking threads

the y-harness has the positive and negative in it. You plug one end of the y to the servo, one to the radio in the servo jack and the last to the battery/switch. This gives you a direct battery hookup to the servo thereby making all the amperage for the servo go thru the y-harness rather than going thru the reciever. The reciever recieves it's power thru the y-harness hooked up to the servo jack on the reciever.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:30 PM
MrMikeG

Flabum is right, look at your receiver and see how small the wiring is, you wouldn't use that small of wiring on your battery pack so how do you think it is going to get to the servo? Y connector all the way for me! I'm going to wire my switch inline in the Y connector so there are fewer connections
Old 04-23-2007, 02:24 AM
patriktegelberg

Mythical, thise Y-thingies no? I saw I voltage drop on my spy as I was feeling with my fingers if the mini would do. I naturally tried a Y-harness but no discernable difference. I have also asked myself and others about this but have yet to find an answer to believe. Any anser I believe will likely involve a BEC circuit.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:52 AM
patriktegelberg

Also the harness did not quite fit into the box. [&:]
Old 04-23-2007, 02:55 AM
martno1fan

i am with patrik on this one this doesnt add up to me at all!! i know many people on this site who never use y harnesses and have no problems at all ,simply connecting to a y harness cannot do what you suggest i am sure .not wishing to start an argument here just trying to find some answers but flabum you say you hook one end to the batt one to the servo then the other to the rx ,how does the battery go direct to the servo the signal(power) still has to go through the rx first i dont see how it goes direct to the servo.sorry if ive hyjacked the thread but i still think its relevent.ive seen no evidence to show using a y harness works as you suggested.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:56 PM
pete_486

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MART IT WORKS
Old 04-23-2007, 06:57 PM
MrMikeG

Mart, your right YOU do not need one.
Patrick, your set-up says it all! Why you would think increased AMPs would show up in that little mini servo with tiny wiring is beyond me, Kind of like putting a 4 cylinder in a Hummer and telling the world how good of fuel economy your getting!
Old 04-24-2007, 01:14 AM
patriktegelberg

Allegory? What I did was to check my receiver for a weak BEC, it had none. Servo is to small to benefit much from thicker wiring and I blamed the voltage drop on internal resistance in batterypack. Just slamming a Y harness in the box will to many setups make no discernable difference.