Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

GST 3 speed to 2 speed keep reverse

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

GST 3 speed to 2 speed keep reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 05:02 AM
MONAROMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GST 3 speed to 2 speed keep reverse

Tossing up the idea of removing 3rd altogether (like nemesis but I want to keep reverse) in lieu of mucking around with 3rd shift AGAIN to get it consistent - I'm really a bit over it and am sick of stripping it apart for no other reason - YES I've read ALL the threads on 3rd shifts. I'd like to go to nemesis gearing on my gst (no wheelies doesn't fuss me) as I'd like it to get same approx top speeds as I have now (3rd works, just not consistent).
I realise I can just disable 3rd shift and change my 1 and 2 gearing but I'd really like to get rid of it all together. On comparing the gst and nemmy transmission the internals have me a bit stumped in relation to removing 3rd altogether. I'd like to determine whether its feasible with just the manuals before I gut the truck to eyeball the operation of the tranny (as I really love using it every weekend). Hence my post here - any thoughts anyone?
Old 04-27-2007, 07:41 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: GST 3 speed to 2 speed keep reverse

Hey Monaroman, you can remove the third gear and retain reverse its not that difficult, really. If you look in your manual on page 6 in section 2-10 you will find the assembly instructions for the Internal Expanding Clutch(3rd gear). You will only need the GS066 Hub. The rest of the parts can be removed. Now on the same page in section 2-11 Internal Shifter, you will see the GS051 Gear(clutch) 31T, that part will also need to be removed. Now with just the GS066 hub needed, dont forget the G36724 cross pin. That pin was to engage the hub to the shaft but now its only needed to keep the hub positively located.

Guess what? assemble that tranny like normal and you have just removed third gear. Its that easy!!!

Hope this helps..
Old 04-27-2007, 06:25 PM
MONAROMAN

Thanks TRD, I appreciate it, it helps a lot. The nemmy manual sort of indicates what gears mesh with each other so I could see how it would work without having one. My GST manual doesn't quite go into as much detail as to how the gears line up once installed in the tranny casing and I didn't want to tear it down unnecessarily - I was a bit sus on the twin gear, the other gear on the 1st shaft and how the diff has gears on both ends vs nemmy has gears on only 1 end. Doesn't help that the drawings are upside down when comparing the two manuals.
I will order a 25t and another 21t pinion and fit/remove 3rd asap, do you know if the hardened pinions are in 25t as well?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:39 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of the pinions are supposed to be hardened, Monaroman.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:07 PM
burningpoo

do u lose top speed with this method? and what's wrong with the 3 speed? I keep hearing about 3rd gear has some problems, saw some dude drill a hole, glue it, put a screw in it and grind it flat covering it with teflon...