Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Matrix tr arena owb

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:19 PM
JeffyB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matrix tr arena owb

Hello all, just a quicky. I think my owb is slipping as the pull starter does not turn the engine over at all, no resistance. It was running fine before this happened and now obviosly i cannot start it. I havn't checked the owb yet as i am new to nitro and thought i would ask here first, a quick read showed this part is not available as a spare and if its knackered can anyone point me to a compatible all metal part that would fit or if cleaning the bearing would solve the problem, thanks JeffyB
Old 04-28-2007, 01:16 PM
newbie232

Default RE: Matrix tr arena owb

I have the exact same propblem as you. I phoned up cen and they told me their is nowhere that I can by this part and I will have to wait for a month until they are in stock. I was really mad about it, but then the guy put me on hold, came back and told me that they will be shipping me a replacement bearing for free to my house. phone up cen and theyll likely do what they did to me.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:29 PM
JeffyB

Thanks for the reply newbie, was annoyed as well, hope the replacement is all metal or this is gonna keep happening.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:34 PM
newbie232

it is pretty frusturating that I have to look at my Rc car just sitting there after only one tank run through it.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:41 PM
JeffyB

I'm in the uk so mine will take even longer to arrive sigh []
Old 04-28-2007, 01:57 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey fellas, you know, the one way bearing is in almost all nitro rc cars and trucks, so sometime in the future you will undoubtedly have to replace it on your dime. Its not that expensive and you can do it without ordering a cen part(commonly used part in all vehicles) It only takes a couple handtools

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5579813/tm.htm]Just read this thread and you will have the basics.[/link]
Old 04-28-2007, 01:57 PM
SOILWORK

It could be one of three problems.

1. The oneway is slipping because it's saturated with oil. You can can fix this by pulling the owb out and cleaning it with nitrocleaner or any degreaser.

2. There is a spring loaded pin the comes out of the connecting rod that grabs the backplate,this pin could of fell out. You can fix this by pulling the back plate off an reinstalling. When you put the pin back in place, do it gently or the pin will fly out.

3. your owb is blown.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:49 PM
newbie232

to get this striaght, the one way bearing listed in that thread is compatible with the matrix Arena engine?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:59 PM
The Real Dogman

Newbie, No that is just a guide, you will need to look on the end of the bearing for right part number.........

As it says, you'll have the basics
Old 04-30-2007, 02:25 AM
JeffyB

Newbie did you try to clean your owb? if so did you take the engine totally off the chasis to get to it?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:07 AM
JeffyB

I got the owb out without unmounting the engine was pretty easy, covered in yellow goop, gonna clean it up and put it back and see how it goes. For reference its a koyo 0608 (6x10x8) search for hk0608. Seems that Traxxas do an exact same owb search for traxxas 5121 cant see the hex anywhere yet tho. I'm going to change fuels as well was running 16% and i think its way too oily.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:42 PM
newbie232

i see you figured it out that you just take the pullstarter off. Thanks for the help on the one way part # im going to have to google search it. my one way should be here tommorow or wenesday so I am pretty excited. I've been waiting a long time to run it. It turns out that the one way is missing two little needle bearings so my pullstarter has some resistance but skips for the most part.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:47 PM
JeffyB

I cleaned my owb, it gripped for about half a pull then sliped again, Cen have sent me 2 owb's not that i'll need them as i have ordered the backplate and an smd box starter as i really dont want to spend that much time cleaning and replacing owb's and no doubt they wont always be free from cen thats for sure. I guess i can keep 1 just incase i ever need it and flog the other on the bay
Old 04-30-2007, 11:10 PM
The Real Dogman

That's what I keep telling people, FORGET CLEANING IT<<REPLACE IT!!!! you will save time!!!!

Have fun!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 06:43 PM
newbie232

are you saying that by not cleaning it you save time? O and lucky you JeffyB that shows you how great Cen is about it I just wish that they would sell the part so I can stock up.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:59 PM
The Real Dogman

Newbie, What I am Saying is, Once the OWB starts to fail there is no point in cleaning cause that will not FIX it. You will only have to take the starter off again to replace it. So just replace it the first time you take it off and save yourself the time of taking it off twice.

Get it, got it,, good!!
LOL

Anyway have fun!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Grits

Try this while waiting. Pull theair filter off and fill the throat of the carb with fuel. Work the flywheel back and forth with your finger while holding the truck at an angle to make the fuel go towards the OWB. 10 seconds should it. Put the air filter back on and give her a go. works for me and you already have fuel on hand so no extra gear and no compatability issues. A OWB will slip if it is gummed up with oil from the fuel. Not saying it isn't shot but if it is only been run a few times it is probably just gummed up.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:03 PM
newbie232

ORIGINAL: Grits

Try this while waiting. Pull theair filter off and fill the throat of the carb with fuel. Work the flywheel back and forth with your finger while holding the truck at an angle to make the fuel go towards the OWB. 10 seconds should it. Put the air filter back on and give her a go. works for me and you already have fuel on hand so no extra gear and no compatability issues. A OWB will slip if it is gummed up with oil from the fuel. Not saying it isn't shot but if it is only been run a few times it is probably just gummed up.
thats sounds useful in the future. but I saw tiny little bearing fall out and I can see a large hole where the bearing is supposed to be
Old 05-03-2007, 10:02 AM
JeffyB

The backplate turned up today it looks good, not had a chance to put it on yet tho will let you know how it goes.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:00 AM
magbarn

Anyone know a US distributor for this plate or one in te UK willing to ship out to the states? Thanks!
Old 05-04-2007, 03:37 PM
JeffyB

These 2 stock the backplate (part no. GO28-1000) it in the uk heres the links
[link]http://www.tqmodels.co.uk/28-1000-rear-cover-i601381.html[/link]
[link]http://www.lstshop.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/102/products_id/1780?osCsid=34c82f5dc03ee0c8a5201fdd29a1249c[/link]
They may ship to you, otherwise good luck sourcing the part in the us
Old 05-05-2007, 06:33 PM
JeffyB

Backplate fits perfectly and pretty easy to put on, the hardest bit was removing the o ring from the pullstart backplate as the replacement backplate doesn't come with one.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:41 PM
JeffyB

Quick picture of the backplate fitted