Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Which P-51?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Which P-51?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 03:15 AM
plane nuts-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which P-51?

I will be getting a P-51 very shortly. I have a Saito .72 NIB that I would like to use for this. Is it big enough for the H9 .60? I've also looked at the GP ARF but I'm scared of that sandwich foam covering. Also looked at the Model Tech. Any suggestions about these three or possibly another ARF would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 02-24-2003, 03:25 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Which P-51?

Get the World Models .40 sized. They have the following schemes:

Yellow Rockwell
Blue with Yellow cowl
Red CandyMan
Silver
Dago Red
Miss America

This planes fly very well. I would highly recommend any of the above. I believe the Dago and Miss America have fiberglass fuzes, and the rest are balsa.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:33 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Default Which P-51?

I've got the World Models Miss America color scheme. There are 4 or 5 color variants, and the quality is REALLY GREAT! Beautifully covered, very easy to assemble. I'm useing the OS 46fx, but the 4stroke of choice is definatley the saito 72. My experience is that the 72 would be too weak for any 60 size plane, but I like strong and/or fast, mustangs should be FAST!!!!!

The importer is AirBorne models, my LHS sell them for the internet price, and he has some on eBay right now. Check out ultimate*********.com, there is a link to the ebay stuff.

Can't say enough good stuff about the WM P-51

Gordon
Old 02-24-2003, 03:34 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Default Which P-51?

Funny!!!

2 guys typing at the same time recomend the same planes!!! But the Miss A is not fiberglass, only the Dago Red.

Gordon
Old 02-24-2003, 04:35 AM
E75
My Feedback: (1)

Default Which P-51?

Any of the small WM Mustangs will be great choices
Old 02-24-2003, 08:45 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Default Which P-51?

You'll want to read this thread as I posted this same question some time ago and recieved some very good replies.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...826&forumid=57]
Old 02-25-2003, 08:25 PM
plane nuts-RCU

Default Which P-51?

Thanks for all the input, I made the decision and I've got a WM .40 size on order. Any tricks-tips on this popular model? I'll be using the Saito .72 I mentioned in the first post.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 02-25-2003, 08:40 PM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Default Which P-51?

Originally posted by plane nuts
Thanks for all the input, I made the decision and I've got a WM .40 size on order. Any tricks-tips on this popular model? I'll be using the Saito .72 I mentioned in the first post.

Thanks,
Randy

From what I have read.....others who did not get the balance correct on the first try had some interesting flying experiences.

I have not built mine yet.....but am getting the itch to get going on it as soon as I can finish cleaning my hobby room to make room for assembly.

Where did you order your WM from?
Old 02-25-2003, 11:17 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default Which P-51?

Originally posted by plane nuts
Its very solid as-received - there isn't much that needs modification.

I originally powered my WM Miss America with an OS .70. With everything mounted the plane balanced perfectly on the first attempt. It was not necessary to add weight or shift any components - I actually ended up zip-tying the rx and battery to the former closest to the CG. Your Saito weighs a little less than the OS, so you may need to shift the battery into the fuel tank compartment.

Make sure you glue down your canopy. If you mount it with screws glue in some mounting blocks rather than driving screws through the balsa sheeting.

Keep an eye on your retract struts. Our field is pretty rough - lots of gravel - and I've had a couple of gear-banging landings - but haven't had any significant bending problems.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:36 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Default Which P-51?

The only part of this model I didn't like was the gear fairings. I haven't mounted them yet 'cause I really didn't think they would stay put. How has it worked for you others?

I mounted the canopy per plans, since it was like the Somethin' Extra, and I was always happy with it in that model (and I changed the pilot several times).

Just for kicks, not that I can tell you it will always work, here is what I did for the engine: That cowl is SO perfect, I just couldn't cut it up. So I inverted the engine, to keep the head cowled. But then the muffler wanted to stick out. So after weeks of debate, and the reality that no muffler, even the Slimlines, would stay within that narrow cowl, I got a real small Topflite header, and built my own muffler out of copper pipe. It is a bit heavier than stock, by .8 oz, but since I needed weight anyway, that didn't bother me. I think the Saito would be even easier to fully cowl.

If you want to see more, I'll take a pic and post it.

Gordon
Old 02-26-2003, 01:35 AM
plane nuts-RCU

Default Which P-51?

crash, I got the Mustang from UltimateRC Hobbies (see post by gbisapk), they are located closest to me, none of the LHS had one.

visioneer, fortunately both the fields I fly at have paved runways, and fairly smooth grass. Unless the retracts are really weak they should withstand the strips, (though maybe not my landings).

gbisapk, thanks for the info about Ultimate RC, I've never mounted an engine inverted, this will most likely be the first. I'm curious to see how the Saito fits. I always hated cutting up a nice cowl.

Randy
Old 02-26-2003, 02:04 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Default Which P-51?

I can tell you this-my Saito 91 runs like a sewwing machine inverted on my Spacewalker (also no holes in cowl!) Lots of guys tried to talk me out inverting it but I haven't regreted it in 40 or so flights! Don't forget the exit of heated air! The opening in the bottom for intake is adaquate, and it goes right over the head, but you must open up the exit to at least 2x the inlet. Since it's on the bottom, don't skimp of the cooling exit cutout. My Spacewalker kept overheating 'cause I kept opening it up just a little more, instead of wide open.

Gordon