Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Applying Monokote/ Ultra kote

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Applying Monokote/ Ultra kote

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 07:01 AM
Skip
My Feedback: (76)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Applying Monokote/ Ultra kote

OK You experts, I have had good sucess applying film on the 100 or so planes I have built. I thought I was good at it until I saw what a really good application looks like. I am interested in getting better at it without ruining a plane in the process. How the heck do you put on trim layers without bubbles etc. I have tried the windex/soap method with some sucess but I want a professional result this time. I know there are guys out there that know the secret to sucess..so how about some help!! Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:43 AM
MasterAlex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Applying Monokote/ Ultra kote

Skip,

This is an old thread, but very informative. Check it out. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60.../tm.htm#603331

-MA
Old 05-04-2007, 09:05 AM
funkworks

I used windex to do all the trim on these. All the lettering and insignias are monokote (except for the roundrel insignia on the red and white T-45). I basically cut out the shape I want and then wet out the area with Windex. Position your piece where you want it and then sqeegy out the Windex carefully and allow to dry. Make sure to get as much of the Windex off as possible. When you are sure it is dry (preferably over night) then go over the area with a warm covering iron. Make sure it isnt hot like the temp setting to attach covering to wood. covering attaches to itself easier so not as much heat is required.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23798.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	677572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56834.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	677573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37639.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	677574  
Old 05-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Funworks has the key clue: use a WARM iron for either film over film. You don't want to shrink the film, you just want to activate the adhesive.

By the way, I've had very good luck with Monocote Trim solvent/sealer??

I've been covering with film since the steam iron days.
Walt
Old 05-05-2007, 05:33 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another thing you can do is to place the trim piece on the surface and outline it with a felt-tip pen, then remove the trim piece and poke a bazillion holes in the covering. Now when you iron on the trim, the air has a place to escape.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:57 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Ther eis also the glass method for building up multi coloured geometric covering 'sheets' I do it pretty much all the time now..

Your'e basically quilting. all shapes & colours are overlapped about a 1/4". No colour-on-top-of-colour