Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

spe 40

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:53 AM
outahand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spe 40

I just got a new spe 40 and I want to put it in a 1/4 scale extra 300. If anyone has used this engine could tell me if it would be a good choice for this plane that would be great. This is my first gas engine for a rc plane and I cant wait. I also want to get bigger servo arms for 3010 futaba servos but am not sure what would work best?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:15 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: spe 40

Put it in a test stand first. Check for engine vibrations. Take the prop hub apart and spin the parts and see if it's strait. It wont be. See if any of the prop bolt holes match up to each other. They wont. There are people who re-work this engine with a better prop hub and rebalance them if you stay with it.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:16 AM
outahand

Thanks for the reply I fired it up tonight and ran it for a bit. This engine ran at an idle and I havent even tuned the carb I ran the rpm up and down a few times and it is running great. I know I will need to lean the top end a bit cause full throttle it loads up a bit. I have a 20x8 and nexed time I run it I will take a rpm test. About vibration it shakes a bit a little above idle and a little on idle, but im not sure if I should stress that? I put a picture of it on here so you can see what we have running. So you think this motor will pull my 1/4 scale?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39960.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	677936  
Old 05-05-2007, 02:49 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: outahand

I just got a new spe 40 and I want to put it in a 1/4 scale extra 300. If anyone has used this engine could tell me if it would be a good choice for this plane that would be great. This is my first gas engine for a rc plane and I cant wait. I also want to get bigger servo arms for 3010 futaba servos but am not sure what would work best?
I hope you're not planning to use those 3010 servos in a gas-powered plane?

They're nylon geared and thus aren't really suited to anything over a 1.20 glow-size.

Metal geared servos are definitely a good idea for gasers!
Old 05-06-2007, 11:43 AM
outahand

I was planning to use the 3010 but now that you tell me not to use them I am going to have to re think what way to go. What would you recomend I use in this plane? For the servo horn also im not sure what size I could go with if you have any input on that. I fired the engine up again and this time I leaned the high end a bit. I ran the rpm up and it hit 7020 no problem cause its still a little rich on the high end. It will idle at 1700 and its happy there I could go lower but I dont think I need to. I have a wt-540 carb for this engine I will put on for more hp when I put it in the plane.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:33 PM
altavillan

Ask someone like Larry at Chief Aircraft what servos to use. Thats his job!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:44 PM
gapple12

I have this same setup. I have a GP Extra 300S 1.60 Gene Soucy. My SPE 40cc is still going threw break in, but fly’s her around pretty well. I am lacking a little power in the hover, but don’t get me wrong, she will hover, but at about full throttle or a little less. For servos I use Futaba S3305 on all controls except throttle. I have had about 10 flights on her and no problems. I am not sure what plane you have, but this GP 300S was built long ago and not intended for 3D flying. I think she weighed in at about 14.5 pounds. Be patient with these engine, they get smother and much more powerful with time. Mine vibrated pretty bad for about the first gallon of gas, but came out great. Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:49 PM
gapple12

Here you go................

Servos
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDWF8&P=ML

Servo Arms
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD668&P=ML

These are what I use on all my larger size airplanes.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:08 PM
altavillan

You are recomending an engine that won't hoover. Vibrates real bad. And servos that tower says "NOT FOR AIRPLANES"??? Sheesh!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:14 AM
gapple12

Wow, never noticed that it said that. Well, they have never been a problem for me, wonder why these cant be in airplanes???
Maybe too much torque I guess I need to contact the guy that sold them too me, I didnt research very much. Oh well......
Old 05-08-2007, 10:11 AM
mtwister

Alot of people run the 3305's in planes. I believe the reason they're not recommended is they don't have a real good dead band, and they don't center well. As far as the SPE being a p.o.s. like altavillan is suggesting, well maybe he got a bad one. I have one, and after break in it runs great. I'm more than pleased with it, and it has never quit on me, shook bad or any problems like that. I am getting ready to buy another.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 PM
outahand

I went and got the jr high torque metal gear servo. I did some looking around at many kinds but the best bang for my buck was what I got. The horns I got were the jr 1-1/2 they have a great lock and you run ball joints on them. I will let you know how they work once I fly it. If the s3305 servo works for you thats cool you know they work. This engine is a runner and I havent even run it very long. Anyone know if they make or ever will make a big bore kit for this engine? That would be a great performance kit to add to this fine engine.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:33 AM
gapple12

Go look at this post from Pianori on the bottom of the page. He talks about some upgrades he did to his SPE 40. I did some of the same things he did and the results were fantastic. I am now looking for a little more power so might be replacing the rings with Bowman High Compression Rings. Hope this helps. Sorry about the bad servo advice.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47...tm.htm#4765822
Old 05-09-2007, 11:38 AM
nowinkk

I am test running my SPE 40cc too...

Well, it shakes quite a bit. will maiden it this coming Sunday..
Old 05-09-2007, 12:32 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any single cylinder engine is going to shake a bit. It isn't possible to make one that doesn't.

Some folks received some prop adapters that were clearly out of spec. I checked the one on my SPE 40 and it was fine.

Big bore kit price with the cost of the engine will buy you a much better and larger engine. Not worth the effort or expense unless you stumble upon some preexisting cheap parts that will work, seredipitously, of course.

I'm missing my Brillelli built SPE 40 and BCMAE built SPE 26. Shouldn't have sold them. Oh well, I did sell them for a good cause. I bought a glow radial with the proceeds. Still, I miss them...

Ed Cregger
Old 05-09-2007, 01:14 PM
mtwister

Don't worry about it, it will shake pretty good for about the 1st gallon of fuel then it will start to smooth out pretty good. Once it's broken in, and you have the needles set dead on, it idles very well. Just be patient. Oh, and break it in flying, it works the best.
ORIGINAL: nowinkk

I am test running my SPE 40cc too...

Well, it shakes quite a bit. will maiden it this coming Sunday..
Old 05-09-2007, 03:46 PM
gapple12

I second that, these engines get very hot when you’re not flying them. Every time I fly mine it gets faster.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:57 PM
outahand

Yep I agree that flying a new motor is the best way to break it in. I always just fire them up on a stand just to make sure everything is right befor I put it in the plane. So when you fire the engine up do you use a starter or do you just flip the prop? Right now I am running a mix if 32-1 in my fule tank with super-M low smoke oil. I have ran this oil for years in my bikes and never had a problem with it.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:43 AM
nowinkk

Finally, My Extra 260 (70" wing span) with its stock engine, SPE 40, had a successful maiden flight this afternoon. The AUW without fuel was only 4.7 kg, comparatively light.

Before the maiden flight, the engine was broken in on a stand with 2 full tank of gas a couple of days ago.

Upon starting up the engine and a few full throttles, before the maiden, one of the two 4mm dia. bolt holding the propeller snapped, and the propeller came loosen. The Master Airscrew 18" x 10" could be too heavy for this set up, so I changed to its stock prop which was a wooden 18" x 6". This wooden prop seemed to be a bit under pitch, as the plane could not fly fast even with full throttle.

After the 2nd flight, the aileron linkage was loosen due to vibration...other than that, everything seemed perfect...and a full tank could last for 15 min. flight, with throttle occasionally half and most times full...
Old 05-20-2007, 10:00 PM
outahand

I took off my prop hub cause my prop came loose and figured out that the bolt holes are out of spec. Where could I get a prop hub cause this you cant fix?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:42 PM
altavillan

Check your hinges for damage. I flew my spe40 twice. First flight the left elevator came off. Fixed that. Second flight the right side departed. The engine didn't get a third flight. Plane is a GP giant UDO. Stock hinges doubled. If you have to fly that engine send it to Bielleli and get it balanced. If you had broken the tail instead of the prop could you have landed it safely? were you flying near people?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:11 PM
gapple12

Hey altavillan, you mentioned to send it to Brilleli to get it balanced. Did you do this to your SPE? Just curious how much they charge for that.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:03 PM
altavillan

Just have heard that they re-work this engine. I put the engine away but I am using the muffler and the carb on a converted Echo 45.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

It would be well worth your time to have Scott do some work on it.,... I dont know what he charges since just buy engines direct from him. However he used to sell a bunch of these after he had balanced and reworked them. www.brillelli.com

p.s. That wannbe test stand scares the heck out of me... that's just looking for trouble in my book.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:22 PM
outahand

(Im not scared) Any way cant you just buy a prop hub that will bolt on the crank? I wonder if Scott will have one since he works on them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.